Oklahoma overlanders where ya at?

• HTML tutorial

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

I crawl all over the SE part of the state on logging roads in and around the Quachita Natinal Forest between Talihena, OK Muse, OK and Mena, AK. Drop this code [ 8667M7R9+8H ] into Google Maps and change to satellite mode. You'll see all sorts of fire roads between Billy Creek Rec Area and the Talimena scenic drive. All are easy drives, but there are tons of side trails to explore (if not posted)

Another great road one ridge to the South of Muse is the Kiamichi Trail here's a video of that from last year. You can camp in spots along the trail, but it can be hard to figure out where unless you drive it once beforehand. There is a great viewpoint at the trail's midpoint called Three Sticks Monument on state hwy 259 (which is a great drive by itself). You can enter or exit the trail easily here and do the East, or West half, or you can find an entry point at either end. The Western half is slightly tougher and you can count on moving a downed tree, or getting some slight pinstriping as it can get overgrown. [ 8667J87R+3J ]

Another area in on the other side of the state in W Oklahoma I found is Sandy Sanders Wildlife Management Area. Completely different arid, rocky, desert-like with arroyos and some nice cliffs and canyons. I spent all day crawling around there and only saw one other vehicle. During hunting season probably best to avoid (unless you have a deer, tag). Here's the google code for the place I found to enter [ 867226P7+9V ], and exit [ 867233PV+7Q ], but if you look there are many spots to access from any direction.

For dedicated Offroad park Google Gruber Offroad park. I haven't been yet, but plan to.

Interested in hearing back and also if anyone has other spots.

View attachment 15680
View attachment 15683
Would love to meet up as we seem to be driving identical Outbacks!

Michael Altman...on-road pro, off-road noob.

Outback_Fan

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wagoner, OK
Member #

Sweet ride. Hope to have more time soon. Would be cool to have a Subie meet-up. Planning spring break with the kids at the moment. Looks like Utah again!
Ok cool, well whenever you get back and have time to meet up or host a trail ride, I'm ready. Those trails near Talahina look awesome, just nervous to go without someone that's been there. Very little experience, so I'm always up to go with someone that's been there before!

Michael...on-road pro, overland noob.
OB #3706

Reactions: SEMPERLIBERI

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
Any active Oklahoma over landing? We reside in NW OKC.
Just read earlier that some of the K-trail is actually a private road.
Wife and I ran a portion a few month ago.
Looking to camp and explore some close to home and fine turn our skills, for some larger overlanding trips .

Rolling through Great salt plains area last year.

OB 1864

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Any active Oklahoma over landing? We reside in NW OKC.
Just read earlier that some of the K-trail is actually a private road.
Wife and I ran a portion a few month ago.
Looking to camp and explore some close to home and fine turn our skills, for some larger overlanding trips .

Rolling through Great salt plains area last year.

OB 1864
Nice Turtleback trailer and FJ. I sold my diy trailer to a great guy from a Tulsa. It's white some some of you folks may see it around. Looks very similar to the Turtleback Expedition model.

Reactions: UnderPressure

stu8319

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oklahoma City
Member #

I didn't think to post anything here, but there was an offroader meetup today in OKC. Mostly Toyota and Nissan guys, but there were some Jeeps and others. I was pretty impressed with my stock suspension other than spring spacers.
16996154_1442743385750457_5608378870350329793_n.jpg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

NW OKCish...

Not really building an Overland rig but am building a 2 door Jeep Cherokee for offroad and I enjoy trails, back roads, camping, the outdoors, etc... I like the overland concept and all but with a family of 5 and working 7 days a week me building an overland rig would be the equivalent of a mall crawler.

My DD is a older Red 4 door Jeep Cherokee with a few antennas.. if you see me around give me a wave.

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

My friends always want to go to Arkansas! We did the high water mark trail last fall. I think we might be headed there again on 3/24.
Let me know! depending on the route and severity of it, i might tag along. I DOUBT i'll have my new tires by then :-/. I'll just have to winch my self the whole way.... :tongueclosed::tongueclosed::tongueclosed: