Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Swank
Member #

Anyone done the south west part from Sayre to Mangum, Mangum to Mt Scott and Mt Scott to Sulphur Springs? Gonna be doing it this weekend with the wifey.
well how did it go?

Mark Steele

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Bump for anyone that's done this in the past year. Thinking about doing part of the NE section this weekend.
Some guys from the Toyota group and I did the SouthWest portion of this last weekend. It was dusty but fun, with one nighttime river crossing... about 380 miles in one day. If you're doing any other portions in the next few weeks, let me know. I'd like to do another section this month

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Bump for anyone that's done this in the past year. Thinking about doing part of the NE section this weekend.
Might check this thread out.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I know one OB'er thats doing the section west of 35 and plans to do a trip report when he gets back. He told me last night that the river crossing in the altus wildlife area is a no go. About 4' plus big drop off going in.

Last edited:
Reactions: r_horner

SoonerDPT

Rank 0

Contributor I

Some guys from the Toyota group and I did the SouthWest portion of this last weekend. It was dusty but fun, with one nighttime river crossing... about 380 miles in one day. If you're doing any other portions in the next few weeks, let me know. I'd like to do another section this month
Might check this thread out.

I know one OB'er thats doing the section east of 35 and plans to do a trip report when he gets back. He told me last night that the river crossing in the altus wildlife area is a no go. About 4' plus big drop off going in.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. If you guys are looking for a good drive, I did a day trip around Tahlequah last weekend and it was beautiful. There's miles of good driving east of the Illinois river. Ton of little streams and small water crossings. A couple hiking trails in the Nature Preserve as well.

Mark Steele

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I know one OB'er thats doing the section west of 35 and plans to do a trip report when he gets back. He told me last night that the river crossing in the altus wildlife area is a no go. About 4' plus big drop off going in.
Yes that's true, they even have the road completely blocked, you can't get to it. the updated GPX has a drive-around that one

Reactions: Offroadnutz

parksMap0419

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Salt Lake City, UT, USA
First Name
Megan
Last Name
Parks
Yes that's true, they even have the road completely blocked, you can't get to it. the updated GPX has a drive-around that one
Thanks for sharing! Any advice on the southwestern section around Wichita Mountains National Refuge? We're in a '97 Lexus LX. We're very new to overlanding and I feel a little apprehensive about doing an overnight trip, but we're dying to get away during all of this "quarantine" business. It's the perfect excuse to embark on our second official overland adventure.
Also, is it pretty easy to find a spot to camp overnight around there without getting gruff from law officials during this?

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks for sharing! Any advice on the southwestern section around Wichita Mountains National Refuge? We're in a '97 Lexus LX. We're very new to overlanding and I feel a little apprehensive about doing an overnight trip, but we're dying to get away during all of this "quarantine" business. It's the perfect excuse to embark on our second official overland adventure.
Also, is it pretty easy to find a spot to camp overnight around there without getting gruff from law officials during this?
You might also check with @ryanorr280 He just did that section.

Exploring_parks

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

American Fork, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Parks
So I was manually inputting the route into Gaia and after an hour and a half the app crashed and I lost everything :rage: This is my first time using the app so I'm making this harder than it should be, I hope .Can anyone point me in the right direction to just download the route straight to the app so I can save it?

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

So I was manually inputting the route into Gaia and after an hour and a half the app crashed and I lost everything :rage: This is my first time using the app so I'm making this harder than it should be, I hope .Can anyone point me in the right direction to just download the route straight to the app so I can save it?
What are you trying to download it to? When I tried to download it to my ipad 1st gen it wouldnt work. But it uploaded in a matter of seconds to my ipad 4. I down loaded straight from the advrider website.

Reactions: Exploring_parks

Exploring_parks

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

American Fork, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Parks
What are you trying to download it to? When I tried to download it to my ipad 1st gen it wouldnt work. But it uploaded in a matter of seconds to my ipad 4. I down loaded straight from the advrider website.
Bro, I didnt even download it. I was painstakingly doing it by hand :tearsofjoy: I'll try to download it on my new iphone and I'll report back. Thanks for the quick response.

Edit:

You're a hero and you didnt even have to break a sweat! Got it downloaded in Gaia

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I can't remeber if they have the "Clayton Trail" on there or not anymore. It's been bulldozed at the Clayton trail and K Trail intersection by the company putting in the wind farm in the area. They shoved a huge tangle of trees down onto the trail making it impassible. Supposedly the road has been "closed" for a long time but there's no signage or anything (the last time I was out there) to indicate that.