Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

Thanks, right now I am leaning toward the western part. How does it compare with the southeastern part both from a scenery standpoint and a terrain standpoint?
We did the western portion early this year. To be honest, it was disappointing. When you get north of i40 there was a no trespassing sign on a cattle guard on the gpx file. I have it pinned on gaia if you need it. After turning around, we ended up taking highway to the black kettle grassland and staying the night as it was late already.

I recommend doing the eastern side. So much better, more camping opportunities as well. The western side is very limited since it is mostly privately owned land with you driving county roads. Eastern side has scenery, At least the portions I have done. @Offroadnutz has done more of the eastern side than I have and knows the area well.

as far as terrain, the western side is county gravel road or asphalt 95% of the time. Eastern side is forestry road/county roads. So you at least get to be in the Forest. Not just driving through a farmed field section. Not to say there is no scenery on the west side. But, it’s few and far between. the Wichita wildlife refuge is nice, quartz mountain state park was nice, great salt plains state park is really cool (need camp reservation at all sites), and gloss mountain is worth the hike up. But, that’s the memorable spots we found on the entire west side. Some other roadside stuff. But nothing amazing. We did get to see some military flights overhead out of Altus Air Force base. So that was neat.

Last edited:

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

My recommendation is to start with the area around Broken Bow. It is very scenic with plenty of places for camping. Roads are mostly well maintained logging roads and very hilly and curvy. After that the Ouachitas.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My recommendation is to start with the area around Broken Bow. It is very scenic with plenty of places for camping. Roads are mostly well maintained logging roads and very hilly and curvy. After that the Ouachitas.
X2. Once you get south of Broken bow you are pretty much all on county roads flanked by fencing keeping you out of private lands. There is some nice sunday drive type scenery down there. Mount Scott and Carpenter's Bluff Bridge are woth the driving I guess.

Reactions: Offroadnutz

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

What is the "Heavener Challenge" ?
The best I can find is that it's about 82 miles of the OAT in SE Oklahoma primarily through NF land.
First I have heard of it and didn't find much about it, except on the dual sport bike page or two so I imagine that it won't be a noticeable challenge for a 4 wheeled vehicle.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I’m looking at going up there next week and try8ng to decide if I want to base camp at Broken Bow lake or just follow the yellow dirt road with my teardrop and camp wherever each night.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I’m looking at going up there next week and try8ng to decide if I want to base camp at Broken Bow lake or just follow the yellow dirt road with my teardrop and camp wherever each night.
It's a nice route starts at the 3 sticks monument and runs the Eastern Portion of the K-Trail. wiggles around on NF roads over the Kalimena Skyway and a few other ridge lines and ends in Heavener. Should be doable by your vehicle as long as it hasn't been raining too much. There are a few sections of the first part of it before you cross over Hwy 63 that might be a little rough but as long as it's dry should be passible in 2wd.

And there are dispersed camping opportunities all along the route until you get to Heavener.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I think I've only seen it called FR6025 on one other trip report. Where the Firetower is at and pretty much the whole road west of the 3 sticks monument is no longer National Forrest. It's known as County Road D1650 now. And you really don't get back into the National Forrest until you're about 3 miles East of 3 sticks on D1650. The way the National Forrest is broken up there is highly confusing many times. Having good maps is good. The public and private land overlays on GAIA are insanely helpful.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I think I've only seen it called FR6025 on one other trip report. Where the Firetower is at and pretty much the whole road west of the 3 sticks monument is no longer National Forrest. It's known as County Road D1650 now. And you really don't get back into the National Forrest until you're about 3 miles East of 3 sticks on D1650. The way the National Forrest is broken up there is highly confusing many times. Having good maps is good. The public and private land overlays on GAIA are insanely helpful.
You’re right about the Gaia overlays. Very much needed info. The road was rough until the last cell tower, then it got interesting.

thanks for the tidbit about the rock bottoms at the water crossings. Some of them looked kinda dodgy otherwise.

Reactions: Downs