Oklahoma Adventure Trail

• HTML tutorial

Oventure

Rank 0

Contributor I

Description from the about.me website:

[The Oklahoma Adventure Trail, known as the OAT, is 70% dirt road 30% paved road route circling the state of Oklahoma. The route travels through some of the most diverse, historical and scenic areas of Oklahoma.

The route was developed by Oklahoma dual-sport riders to be free and open to every one. The GPS files can be accessed and downloaded for free.

The OAT can be ridden on a dual-sport motorcycle, bicycled, hiked, or a 4x4 vehicle. Some roads are paved, red dirt, brown dirt, yellow dirt, gravel, deep gravel, rutted, tore up, rocky, straight curvy, flat, hilly, etc... etc... you get the point.
Some interesting areas the route goes by is Gloss Mountain, The Great Salt Plains, Graffiti Wall, Ingalls out-law shoot out, Heavner, the K-Trail, The Ouachita Mountains and National Forest, Hugo's Circus performer cemetery, Carpenter's Bluff bridge, Turner Falls, Mount Scott, Meers Burgers, Quartz Mountains, Fort Washita, Medicine Park and Black Kettle National Grasslands to name a few.]

I personally haven't traveled more than about 30 miles of the trail, but liked what I saw. The last time I checked the trail covered about 1,700 miles total. I hope to drive the whole trail someday.

Link to the original trail forum thread:
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/making-of-the-oklahoma-adventure-trail.836706/

1987 Toyota Pickup - Edmond, OK

Last edited:

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
What's up fellow okie. I was starting to think of was alone here.

I read about this extensively about 6 months ago. While not much in the way of a technical trail. It sounds like it would be fun to do. I moved here in 99, and was really disappointed in what the state had to offer offroad/adventure wise. It looks like this goes thru some cool spots. Might be fun to get something set up. I know some guys on overlandguild.com would be interested.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Reactions: Oventure

Oventure

Rank 0

Contributor I

What's up fellow okie. I was starting to think of was alone here.

I read about this extensively about 6 months ago. While not much in the way of a technical trail. It sounds like it would be fun to do. I moved here in 99, and was really disappointed in what the state had to offer offroad/adventure wise. It looks like this goes thru some cool spots. Might be fun to get something set up. I know some guys on overlandguild.com would be interested.

Yeah. Definitely looks like a lot of fun. My rig doesn't actually have a motor in it at the moment so I cant really do anything any time soon. I'm sure a lot of people in ON-TORC would be interested as well.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
You going back with the r22 or doing a swap?.

I need to get mine a little better set up, then I want to go check some of this out. 90% I could probably be on on. But the SE side may need some more ground clearance.

I'll be in. Broken bow the end of next month so I'll be looking around a bit

Reactions: Oventure

Oventure

Rank 0

Contributor I

You going back with the r22 or doing a swap?.

I need to get mine a little better set up, then I want to go check some of this out. 90% I could probably be on on. But the SE side may need some more ground clearance.

I'll be in. Broken bow the end of next month so I'll be looking around a bit

Yeah, putting in a reman 22r. That's all I really have the money for right now. LCEngineering out in Arizona has some really sick performance motors that would have been really neat, but they are at least $5,000 for the low end ones. Also need to replace my rear ring and pinion before she'll be trail ready. Already sheered one pinion flange because of the play back there.

Reactions: jeremyleker

Oventure

Rank 0

Contributor I

Had some lovely rod knock. Also had dropped some thrust washers in the oil pan that allowed the crankshaft to scar some stuff up.

Pathogen

Rank I

Contributor III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Payne
Member #

Service Branch
EMT-Basic
Has anyone done this trail? If so what parts. I can't find a lot of info about it. I'm a fellow okie that would like to try it out.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
What part of Oklahoma are ya in? I'm in sw okc. You should check out overlandguild.com (it's a little slow right now) there are a lot of okies/arkansas-ians (?)/Texans. Couple weeks ago a guy had a group doing the NE section of it. Really the listed site from the OP has a lot of info. I'd be interested in doing most if not all of it this spring

Reactions: jrbechthold

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
A group called oklahoma overland on facespace has been doing a lot on and around the OAT. They just did an overnight on the nw section. Iirc they are doing a weekend panhandle trip this month. Might be worth looking up

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I'm the one who led the Capulin Volcano trip last month. It was two of us from the Land Rover group. We aren't particular anyone was welcome.

We are planning a trip through the southeast before the end of the year. It will be posted there on Oklahoma Overland and on my Facebook blog page.
https://facebook.com/okieroverblog/

Reactions: Ramajama

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Has anyone done this trail? If so what parts. I can't find a lot of info about it. I'm a fellow okie that would like to try it out.
Our group has done the Northwest leg and the Osage County leg.
We are planning the southeast leg for this year.

Reactions: Ramajama

87comanche

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

oklahoma city
Member #

another okie here , following , i'd be down for section of this route . two days is all i'd be able to do tho , i'm familiar with the S.E. part of oklahoma spend a lot time camping and hiking ,kayaking , mtn biking down in those areas . the k-trail ya have to be careful on and not cross any mud or water puddle until you check it for spikes . the hunters down there seem to think they own the public access road (k-trail) . ( not sure if it's still going on or not i've heard Clayton police were cracking down on the people putting the spikes out ? )

Reactions: Dylan Cave

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
another okie here , following , i'd be down for section of this route . two days is all i'd be able to do tho , i'm familiar with the S.E. part of oklahoma spend a lot time camping and hiking ,kayaking , mtn biking down in those areas . the k-trail ya have to be careful on and not cross any mud or water puddle until you check it for spikes . the hunters down there seem to think they own the public access road (k-trail) . ( not sure if it's still going on or not i've heard Clayton police were cracking down on the people putting the spikes out ? )
From what i understand the last spikes were pulled out of the mud last spring. I might wait until a few groups go to make sure they don't return. Ive heard more than one story about issues with the locals. I was down there in July and had someone (something? Bigfoot? Lol) throwing things at my 4runner. Was just the wife and i, and for some reason i wasnt armed that day, so I wasn't going to find out what it was with just her with me.

That said there are way more trips with no issues than trips with. Hope to get some time to hit it this summer/fall

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

87comanche

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

oklahoma city
Member #

yeah i've heard that too , i haven't been on the k-trail in awhile , been playing on the purgatory road lately out west of minco i think it's county road 1182 ? just heard that the county had done some work to it i guess to many people have been driving on it , it was fun while it lasted lol , i plan to make a trip out to the k-trail sometime this spring or early summer .