Ohio Overland Route

• HTML tutorial

Alex Becker

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have been doing some research about a couple of overlanding trips that people have planned and mapped out such as the Kentucky Adventure Tour and Tennessee Dirt Devil. Is there anything like this for Ohio? I’d just like to have some fun exploring gravel backroads and unmaintained county trails. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Dirty Ape

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springboro, Ohio, United States
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Hey man - I'm in Dayton as well...Unaware of any great places to do just that in Ohio. Wish it was different. We usually just end up at Haspin Acres in Indiana for some quick dirt, used to do Daniel Boone and Red River Gorge areas in KY a few years back, haven't been there in a while due to trail closures and things getting rough for trucks under 35"s. I did see an intriguing WV trail posted on I think Expedition Portal I'd like to do. It's a hike to even get there though. My favorite place to go is Ontario, great trails there if you can carve out the time and gas money!

Reactions: BroncOH

KenC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Beavercreek, Ohio
Member #

Hey guys, I am in Dayton as well and new to over-landing as of May 18. I am also looking for off-road trails in Ohio for a day or weekend trip.

Reactions: Leo Fante

iluvdrt

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Oceanside, Ca
Member #

Wayne's national forest has quite of trails and stuff. I don't really remember what else is around there.

Smokey95

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Columbus, OH, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8LPU
The best place I currently know of for overlanding in Ohio would be AEP ReCreation Land (a.k.a. Ohio Power). It's halfway between Columbus and the Pennsylvania border off of I-70. There isn't a ton of trail there, however, if you're into fishing or kayaking as well, there are a TON of ponds/ lakes in the area. Primative camping available too. Hope to see you guys out there!

Also, I checked the website for Wayne National Forest and apparently all the trails are restricted to vehicles 50" wide or less.

AEP ReCreation Land website:
https://www.aep.com/recreation/areas/recreationland

Black Swamp Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ohio, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Raines
Member #

I know this is an old thread but i thought I'd chime in. I'm planning to do some dirt road exploring in Wayne this weekend along with a night of campling. I will post the GPX here when i'm done!

Reactions: c7n8k9

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

I know this is an old thread but i thought I'd chime in. I'm planning to do some dirt road exploring in Wayne this weekend along with a night of campling. I will post the GPX here when i'm done!
I know it’s been a while but any updates on a nice spot to explore/ camp. National forest is right in my back yard and bc Ohio has been on lockdown Iv been stuck home for a while and I want to get out if that’s even allowed. My understanding is dispersed camping is still allowed right now just no campgrounds. Any input would be awesome

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I know it’s been a while but any updates on a nice spot to explore/ camp. National forest is right in my back yard and bc Ohio has been on lockdown Iv been stuck home for a while and I want to get out if that’s even allowed. My understanding is dispersed camping is still allowed right now just no campgrounds. Any input would be awesome
Check with ODNR or local law enforcement before you head out. ODNR closed all peripheral services last week and they are not doing any trail maintenance until further notice. Some areas may be closed for safety reasons. Best thing may be to stay home for a bit and plan a trip as soon as all this virus business is over.

It sucks, but this is where we are at right now.

Mitch65

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron, Ohio
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
DiMauro
Member #

Check with ODNR or local law enforcement before you head out. ODNR closed all peripheral services last week and they are not doing any trail maintenance until further notice. Some areas may be closed for safety reasons. Best thing may be to stay home for a bit and plan a trip as soon as all this virus business is over.

It sucks, but this is where we are at right now.
Yes yes I agree. I might give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. The way I see it is if I where to go out to a remote site alone it wouldn’t hurt anything. Dispersed camping.

it would sure beat going down to the local Walmart and fighting with 4,000 people over toilet paper that’s for sure!

Black Swamp Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ohio, USA
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Raines
Member #

Hey, sorry I didn't see your post sooner. We found a nice spot next to a pond just off a forest road.

Attachments

Reactions: Wayward Bones

Geoff_07

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Loveland, OH
First Name
Geoff
Last Name
Tipton
Member #

For what it's worth, someone here recently made me aware of gravelmap.com and there are a number of interesting gravel/dirt roads in southern Ohio. I doubt there's much in the way of challenging technical terrain, but I took the past Saturday to do some exploring and had a lot of fun. Hit one with a couple of small creek crossings and just enjoyed a relaxing drive.

It was nice getting off of the pavement (though even the small paved roads in southern Ohio can be pretty enjoyable to drive) and seeing forests, small communities, etc. that I'm sure not a lot of others ever get to. Coming from Cincinnati, only drove a little over an hour before I got to some nice roads.

Used the Gaia app because cell signal can be scarce.

olekalander

Rank 0

Contributor I

Dayton, OH, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Frazer
Thank the Spirits of Overlanding that this thread exists, because now i have more OH car campin options.

BTW anyone who wants to do some quick and dirty overlandin can head to the Hanging Rock OHV trails(dont worry its on google maps). I've been going there since summer of 2015 and i have NEVER even seen a LEO or any form of law enforcement. For the most part you have your privacy, accept if you go during some kind of hunting season.

I just went last weekend in my 2014 outback and actually managed to traverse some of the OHV trails, however id recommend having a chainsaw to cut & clear downed trees.
Other than that its a great lil spot if you only have a weekend and live in Dayton like me.

Unfortunately things are pretty trashy there, especially during the busy season. so watch out for Meth/heroin/crack heads looking to take some unattended belongings to sell at the local pawn shop. I've even come across a working girl plying her trade a time or two.

Contributor III

Bowling Green, OH, USA/Concord, OH, USA
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Steven
The best place I currently know of for overlanding in Ohio would be AEP ReCreation Land (a.k.a. Ohio Power). It's halfway between Columbus and the Pennsylvania border off of I-70. There isn't a ton of trail there, however, if you're into fishing or kayaking as well, there are a TON of ponds/ lakes in the area. Primative camping available too. Hope to see you guys out there!

Also, I checked the website for Wayne National Forest and apparently all the trails are restricted to vehicles 50" wide or less.

AEP ReCreation Land website:
https://www.aep.com/recreation/areas/recreationland
Hey, Im in Ohio and am in the same boat as all of you, nowhere to wheel, I found the same thing about width limit too. Ill have to check out AEP, I love fishing.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I was born in Nelsonville and Trimble/Glouster was my hometown for a while. Burr Oak Lake is really nice but most of the land down there is private or corporation owned.
Zim