US West Region Local Expert Las Vegas

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Went to valley of fire yesterday for a quick trip an wow I could not believe how packed the place was. Had to wait in line for 20 min with a huge line of cars. All the lots were packed full 98% was California. And the campgrounds was all full. Did scout some nice camp spots for next time.

VoF is usually very crowded in the winter and early Spring. There are quite a few places to camp outside VoF in Lake Mead Recreation Area. Not sure about the western side of VoF as I don't know where the Reservation starts and if you can camp on Reservation lands.

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

That is so cool. I wish i could have stayed. I had so supply issues that prevented it. Where did you end up finding a campsite?

Reactions: McCoyoioi

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Question for the thread.... i have been thinking about somewhere that we can post pics from our trips that everyone can see. I was thinking of forming a group on FB. Does anyone have other ideas?

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Thank you to all who joined me this weekend out at Gold Butte. It was great meeting more people from the OverlandBound community and getting ideas for my rig. Who’d thought you could have fresh bagels or chocolate chip cookies while out on the trail. I hope to see more of you on future outings.

Attachments

McCoyoioi

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Kalama, Cowlitz County, Washington, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKG509 (GMRS)
That is so cool. I wish i could have stayed. I had so supply issues that prevented it. Where did you end up finding a campsite?
We just stayed where we said goodbye. It emptied out before sunset. We looked elsewhere but everything was taken. It was a good spot.

Reactions: mwilson920

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Alertchief has created a Facebook group to post our trip pics and promote upcoming rally points. Please RSVP to the rally points on the official OB Rally Point page

McCoyoioi

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKG509 (GMRS)
For some more pics of the Gold Butte trip (specifically camping in Little Finland), here's the google folder: Gold Butte with Overland Bound - Jan 16th-17th
Tried attaching to the picture icon, and it wouldn't work.
(if there is no link on this post then it didn't work here either!)

I'm assuming this is Dan? Thanks for posting these. There are some cool pictures in there. I dig your night-lights.

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)

McCoyoioi

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKG509 (GMRS)
I just found out I have the weekend off and am going to do some exploring and camp overnight somewhere tomorrow. Probably Death Valley as I’ve never been and the weather looks great Saturday and Sunday. If anyone has ideas, or maybe wants to join hit me up!

Reactions: mwilson920

mwilson920

Protector II

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I just found out I have the weekend off and am going to do some exploring and camp overnight somewhere tomorrow. Probably Death Valley as I’ve never been and the weather looks great Saturday and Sunday. If anyone has ideas, or maybe wants to join hit me up!
I can’t join you, i got work to do. Just wanted to let you know that camping( organized and back country) is closed within the park. There are dispersed camping spots around Beatty and other places outside the park. IOverlander is a good app to find a site. Hope you have a good weekend!!!

McCoyoioi

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Michael
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRKG509 (GMRS)
I went to Death Valley for the first time Sat/Sun. What an incredible place. Absolutely stunning. I won't be able to join the Feb 6th trip, but I'd happily go again with you if I could. I can't wait to get back.

Titus pass isn’t technical at all, just a lot of fun. A really beautiful canyon. I also did Lippincott pass and it may not be doable with stock pickup trucks. There is one section of that road that is very narrow with a steep drop on one side, so I wouldn’t advise anything wider than a jeep or a taco.

The locals in Beatty were pretty nice. Not hard to please either - you can win them over with a carrot.

22566DC3-24B9-4795-880F-ADFDE0F87C3E_1_102_o.jpeg
C9BE1E7F-62B8-4106-BD77-D4CFC085767D_1_105_c.jpegDSC09951.jpg
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0835.jpeg
DSC09869-Pano.jpgIMG_0821.jpeg
DSC09956-Pano.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.