Triath

Rank 0

Contributor I

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Triath
Last Name
J
You aren't the only one 702FJ! Lets have a Las Vegas Overland Bound casual Meet--n-Greet Tuesday, June 9 at 7pm. Parking lot of La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries, 5700 Centennial Center Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89149. This is immediately next to In-N-Out Burger in Centennial Hills, just off US 95 and Ann Rd. Look for my green 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 crewcab 4x4. .............Bob (aka Cactus)
See you there!

Craig702

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Thank you for the meet up Bob, Rick, Eric! Sorry I had to cut it short. It was nice meeting you guys. Let me know when you want to have another meet up or take a trip!

Gonzo6k

Rank V

Advocate III

LA
First Name
Victor
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

Well as official and @LVCoffeeguy and I can be:)

We wanted to follow up on the meeting and thank you guys for attending! Patrick and I are looking at two near term events - A group Camp at Mt. Charleston to get out of the heat and then the recovery class we discussed.

We are working out logistics so stay tuned. We will update this thread with Date, times and events as well as create Rally Points and FB events! Hopefully we can reach all of you that are interested!

Ask: For those of you that wanted to be listed in the member directory please email me or message me here. I will send you the link to the file. I want to make sure that it's not just available to everyone so I won't post the general link here.

Also, if you are uncomfortable with posting your number in the directory, here is how you can get a free google voice number!

How to Get a Google Voice Phone Number

I will be at Enterprise NV the 26th-28th, I was wondering if you can recommend any easy trails, mainly for sightseeing

Reactions: Desert Runner

Stinkbug 867

Rank 0

Contributor III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Shawn
Member #

I will be at Enterprise NV the 26th-28th, I was wondering if you can recommend any easy trails, mainly for sightseeing
Hey hey just wanted to check in here. I would like to do some runs so if u could also let me know. I don’t do face book or any social media stuff. so I will look for up dates an events here? I look forward to meeting all.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Seeing that your in that area, you could do the state route 160 west (Blue Diamond Rd) from I-15 or Decatur blvd and travel until your at the base of Mount Potasei? You hang a left at the dirt parking lot (pit toilet) building heading south. The trail will take you thru the valley floor, where about 15 miles or so, you will come to the town of Goodsprings. People bike ride, horseback, ATV, and 4x4 on this trail area. If your lucky you might see some wild horses. If lunch time is about then, you could always stop at the oldest continuous bar in Nevada. Goodsprings is a former mining town. Head East out of town to Jean NV, and go North back to Vegas on I-15N, getting off at Blue Diamond/160 . Round trip (60-70 miles) shouldn't be more than 2-3 hours. It is not a difficult trail, at least the 2 times I took it.

Reactions: Gonzo6k

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Hey hey just wanted to check in here. I would like to do some runs so if u could also let me know. I don’t do face book or any social media stuff. so I will look for up dates an events here? I look forward to meeting all.
I do not do Facebook either or other media. I did finally do Instagram for access to the Overland Bound page, and under for me.......@desertrunner_lv.
OBLogo-Gold_Outlined_100x.pngPS.........just a few months ago there was a big Rally Point meetup near 160 and Ft apache, so there are OB members here that might be interested in joining you.

Last edited:

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
The Desert wildlife area up north off the 95 is a nice day trip. Mormon wells road cuts through the valley and along a ridge line to the 93. there’s a nice camping spot to break for lunch. Took about 3-4 hours round trip. Alamo road is nice too, with little side roads you can explore( short 3-5 mile Spurs) Alamo road itself cut across a dry lake bed that is super powdery. would recommend turning around unless your with a group or are good at self recovery. I was solo so we turned around.

there are trail maps at the wildlife station Kios. The building is currently closed but the restrooms are open.

Mike Wolford

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Wolford
Member #

Wild West Jeep club does several stock friendly runs every month that you do not have to be a member for. They are linked to facebook, not sure if they have any other avenues to get out their information.

Reactions: Gonzo6k

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Sorry for the late reply u have to enter red rock canyon an go to the trail head from there it’s called potato ridge u can go to the top an turn @ or go all the way to Pahrump but 2 half of trail is tough for a stock rig.
Are you talking about the trail that goes over the top to Lovell Canyon? The Top where there is that Lone pine tree next to the half sunk ( been there decades) concrete picnic table? If so, It is not for stock rigs. It is so washed out with boulders on the Lovell Canyon side. Went up there with another ATV rider, and it was difficult then. The OP said he wanted a easy day road travel event, and that is not it.

When I went to the top, 1997, we had about 7 vehicles come up by us, while having lunch. 6 came back and we found the stock 7th jeep trying to find a place to turn around, as they had pushed it till they were out of options going forward. As stated above,.....NOT FOR STOCK access from west to east, till near the summit.

What is funny is that road was passable by station wagon in 1966 (my parents took us kids in a Ford Galaxie). By 1971, it was a 2 wheel drive pickup truck (Dodge D-200) route (our 2nd drive over it). After 1977, you heard of people getting stuck on it during weather events. Now the west side of the summit is hard core.

Last edited:

Stinkbug 867

Rank 0

Contributor III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Shawn
Member #

Are you talking about the trail that goes over the top to Lovell Canyon? The Top where there is that Lone pine tree next to the half sunk ( been there decades) concrete picnic table? If so, It is not for stock rigs. It is so washed out with boulders on the Lovell Canyon side. Went up there with another ATV rider, and it was difficult then. The OP said he wanted a easy day road travel event, and that is not it.

When I went to the top, 1997, we had about 7 vehicles come up by us, while having lunch. 6 came back and we found the stock 7th jeep trying to find a place to turn around, as they had pushed it till they were out of options going forward. As stated above,.....NOT FOR STOCK access from west to east, till near the summit.

What is funny is that road was passable by station wagon in 1966 (my parents took us kids in a Ford Galaxie). By 1971, it was a 2 wheel drive pickup truck (Dodge D-200) route (our 2nd drive over it). After 1977, you heard of people getting stuck on it during weather events. Now the west side of the summit is hard core.

It’s not like that now it is really mellow. I agree it was pretty hard core back then but pink Jeep goes up there now with clients an I think they did a lot of work on it. Going thru the pic Knick table is a breeze now. Me an my 5 year old did it with no spotter. Ez peas e.
I also just did the 47 mile peek a boo today that’s a ez oneAKA Mormon wells road

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

GrumpyRam

Rank V

Inventor I

Nevada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
DeV
Member #

Service Branch
USAF (ret)
It’s not like that now it is really mellow. I agree it was pretty hard core back then but pink Jeep goes up there now with clients an I think they did a lot of work on it. Going thru the pic Knick table is a breeze now. Me an my 5 year old did it with no spotter. Ez peas e.
I also just did the 47 mile peek a boo today that’s a ez oneAKA Mormon wells road
Yea the Mormon wells is a nice ride, little bumpy on the south end till you get across the valley. Would like to explore the sawmill canyon road that heads west, but I think I’d come in from the north off the 93. Working a couple projects on the truck right now so maybe this weekend or next, depending if I can finish them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.