"Off the Grid" Fall 2017

• HTML tutorial

Grevlin

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South Carolina
Member #

LOL tell that to the 6,000 members that didn't get an opportunity to attend this event that we don't have to be huge. Kinda late for that guy. Besides that fact, Glamis and Ocotillo seem to be perfectly fine deserts with THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of visitors annually...also approved off roading areas...where as many members as we want could congregate.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

I started a thread about this exact possibility. Here:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ob-gathering-with-all-members-invited-possible.8722/

Reactions: Tahoe

MrsFantastico

Rank V
Staff member
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dewey, AZ
First Name
Amanda
Last Name
Emerdinger
Member #

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Bringin em!! Just signed us all up, though the forms are kind of weird, asking if my kids have any kids, or a truck...
Some people here are old enough to have kids that have their own kids ;) or a truck for that matter.

Sent from my SM-G903F using OB Talk mobile app

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

Knowing from experience it's very hard to find and put together a trip to a location like this. I am currently trying to find an area for an alternative. Would be for those who mis the cut or want to just take a trail trip the same weekend. I'm looking in other areas to the north. I am driving trails almost weekly to find camping and easy enough for all to attend.
I don't want to take the light off of this trip as I think it would be an awesome time. I just want others to get together as well. Though it will be a bring you own type weekend. I'll keep driving trails and post here once I locate a sizable venue.
Anyone close by that can help out with a few ideas or want to go drive some roads and trails should contact me here. I'm usually gone weekends and work super crazy hours during the week. Let's just do it.

Last edited:

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

Is there a general info about timing and actual location and stuff that is easily locatable on google maps? Also, is there a caravan from Nor-Cal?

OverlandChevy

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Francisco, Ca 94110
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Molina
Member #

Knowing from experience it's very hard to find and put together a trip to a location like this. I am currently trying to find an area for an alternative. Would be for those who mis the cut or want to just take a trail trip the same weekend. I'm looking in other areas to the north. I am driving trails almost weekly to find camping and easy enough for all to attend.
I don't want to take the light off of this trip as I think it would be an awesome time. I just want others to get together as well. Though it will be a bring you own type weekend. I'll keep driving trails and post here once I locate a sizable venue.
Anyone close by that can help out with a few ideas or want to go drive some roads and trails should contact me here. I'm usually gone weekends and work super crazy hours during the week. Let's just do it.
Hey!

Im totally interested, I missed out on the initial sale and really want to participate in OB meetups. Theres a sweet spot up north "Usal Beach" that could probably hold a large group but ill keep looking. Also maybe a place like Death Valley, Mojave, Humbodt Redwoods or Joshua Tree might work.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
The Southwest region is working on puting on a fall OTG event in the region. Feel free to follow progress, and offer assistance, if you like. We have several scouting events scheduled. Tentatively we are shooting for October.

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ob-southwest-rendezvous.8669/

I will be attending OTG West, to model OTG Southwest. We hope to repeat their success. I would encourage other regions working on this also. Like the OTG West, OTG Southwest is open to all OB members, willing to make the journey.

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

I've been found the last four weeks around Chester Lake Almanor area because it's cool weather up there. There was a great deal over ohv trails for a few different types of trails. The USFS has closed all but one trail and two camp sites up there unless they are on paved roads.

Sent from my XT1609 using OB Talk mobile app

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

I'm ready to do a camp out style meet and greet. At a tiny camp sight up there. I would take everyone in so all were together. Great area to camp with bears and all!

Sent from my XT1609 using OB Talk mobile app

Whitebutler

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Paradise CA
Member #

Hey!

Im totally interested, I missed out on the initial sale and really want to participate in OB meetups. Theres a sweet spot up north "Usal Beach" that could probably hold a large group but ill keep looking. Also maybe a place like Death Valley, Mojave, Humbodt Redwoods or Joshua Tree might work.
My wife and I are totally into the redwoods. E would both love that. I've been looking around Lake Almanor Chester area but they closed all the ohv trails that are currently on the map. I found one near camp area that is very primitive. We will keep looking and let's stay in touch see what we find!

OverlandChevy

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Francisco, Ca 94110
First Name
Edgar
Last Name
Molina
Member #

Hey Butler,

Let me know what you figure out and ill also keep looking. Lets make this happen! I was also thinking Lassen National Park so Almanor would be sweet. Thank you for all you research

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

---------

---------

---------

Bigger is not always better, and the desert is as fragile, even more fragile, an environment than any place else. I know the desert well, especially the Chihuahuan Desert, and would be strongly opposed to any ginormous, epic, event concentrating on vehicles meant to go off-road. Might be 'leave no trace' in spirit, but it would definitely leave a lasting trace on the desert.

It would also leave a lasting and bad impression of overlanders in the minds of those living there.

The tendency towards even larger and larger gatherings, especially if most/all vehicles are to be active in a concentrated space, feels very against the whole idea of overlanding.

Mark my words, it will be detrimental to how overlanding and overlanders are perceived and detrimental to overlanding itself.

We don't have to be the biggest-baddest, we don't have to be number one, we don't have to be huge.

:edited to add quotes and clarity:
True. Maybe a OB Burning Man camp? lol

SinCityOverland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
shaun
Last Name
field
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
a hole
Well hopefully out of 500+ founders being given a day head start on the ticket sales, with only 60 being sold, leaves some sort of scraps for other 6,000+ of us. Perhaps efforts should be made by more of us non-founder 500, regular members to create another sort of OTG event, so more of us have the opportunity to attend. [emoji16][emoji554]️[emoji904][emoji594]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
i agree. id like to set one up here in the rocky mountains. maybe up around ouray, telluride, silverton area. maybe there can be like 10 meetups at the same time and eventually do a yearly national member meetup would be sweet!. get a couple thousand of us there!!