Off-road traction bar?

• HTML tutorial

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

My rig tends to see some pretty rough trails and with my long wheelbase I am susceptible to damage because of my length. I am installing full length sliders to protect the rockers however on a recent trip I managed to choose my "line" a little incorrectly and polished a spot on my driveshaft. (No damage thankfully but it did make contact). I have seen the off road traction bars for the jeeps and a few other models that not only control axle wrap but because they run near the vehicle centerline to the side of the driveshaft they can also offer some protection to the driveshaft. Almost like a slider that runs the length of the driveshaft. I know that I will have to custom fab my own as no one makes them for my vehicle and I have the ability and equipment to do so. Does anyone here run one and if so what is your opinion on them? (pro's and con's)

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Check around some 1/4 mile drag racing sites. I've seen them but haven't looked for them.

Reactions: crit_pw

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
They make a good bit of difference in axle wrap but honestly they don't do a whole lot to protect the drive shaft. You'll still have to be very careful and aware of your lines. The problem isn't the large slabs, it's the pointy rocks that come out of nowhere and wreck pinion yokes and put bends in the driveshaft tube. Those will still pose a hazard and building a full coverage slider for the driveshaft is gong to be heavy and pose issues with maintaining suspension operation and geometry.

If you feel up to the challenge, I say go for it. But it's added weight and for the benefits, you'll still have need of a spotter occasionally.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Not being familiar with the underside of your truck, Would you get better protection from adding full skid plates? While my Frontier is shorter than your truck, most of my driveshaft is protected by the transfer case skid, the gas tank skid and the muffler. But, as stated above, most problems come from a single rock jumping up and grabbing things.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

My truck is a RAM 2500 and there is about 2 ft of driveshaft exposed below the fuel tank skid at the differential, the front of the driveshaft is tucked neatly above the frame rails and t-case and fuel tank skids. I cannot skid plate it in due to the amount of suspension travel and axle droop when the suspension cycles down.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

They make a good bit of difference in axle wrap but honestly they don't do a whole lot to protect the drive shaft. You'll still have to be very careful and aware of your lines. The problem isn't the large slabs, it's the pointy rocks that come out of nowhere and wreck pinion yokes and put bends in the driveshaft tube. Those will still pose a hazard and building a full coverage slider for the driveshaft is gong to be heavy and pose issues with maintaining suspension operation and geometry.

If you feel up to the challenge, I say go for it. But it's added weight and for the benefits, you'll still have need of a spotter occasionally.
Thanks for your response TerryD, So the particular type of traction bar I am talking about actually doubles as a slider for the driveshaft. They are on a shackle at the front end to allow forward and aft movement as the axle cycles. It is a single traction bar located towards the center of the axle alongside the driveshaft. They make them for the jeeps and they still allow for full articulation of the suspension. I have attached a picture of what I am talking about. I know they are out there and have seen them in the past. I am looking for someone who may have used one or knows more about how well they function. And of course like you said, a spotter, getting the proper line and walking your line before hand is always the best protection but we all know sometimes your line choice gets limited more than we would like.
Traction bar2.jpg MRE-TB500_xl.jpg

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Thanks for your response TerryD, So the particular type of traction bar I am talking about actually doubles as a slider for the driveshaft. They are on a shackle at the front end to allow forward and aft movement as the axle cycles. It is a single traction bar located towards the center of the axle alongside the driveshaft. They make them for the jeeps and they still allow for full articulation of the suspension. I have attached a picture of what I am talking about. I know they are out there and have seen them in the past. I am looking for someone who may have used one or knows more about how well they function. And of course like you said, a spotter, getting the proper line and walking your line before hand is always the best protection but we all know sometimes your line choice gets limited more than we would like.
View attachment 30282 View attachment 30283
I'm familiar with that type and have a friend who fabbed one up for his 79 F150 Truggy. It helps with axle wrap, but neither of us think it's worth it for driveshaft protection, just helped him save u-joints from axle wrap and got his truck hooking up hard enough to wring off 31 spline 9" Ford shafts on 35s. I tried to find a picture of his but photobucket wiped them off his build thread on pirate4x4.

His has a D44 stub and long side shaft as a sliding link at the frame end and heims at the axle. He also has dents and scratches on his rear driveshaft from the pointy rocks I talked about in my last post.