Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Thank you these are very good points that I have not thought of. Can anyone make the comparison: which is easier to get unstuck a light or heavy truck?
Stuckiness = Weight of vehicle / contact patch in square inches. (Lower numbers are better)

Generally heavy trucks are way worse in mud. Simplest example is a diesel F250 vs a gas F250. The 1000#+ lighter gas truck completely shreds the diesel in mud. These big trucks can legally (within the wheelwells) use much larger tires though. 37x12.5 fits inside a Super Duties wheel well with room to spare. But a much lighter F150 on 35x12.5" tires will float right across wet grass fields that the Super Duty will sink in.

Sometimes a heavy truck will grip better at rivers or flooded road crossings. They will ALWAYS grip better at a boat ramp.

Generally, don't play stupid games on soft ground, and the fullsize is superior anywhere that it fits.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Stuckiness = Weight of vehicle / contact patch in square inches. (Lower numbers are better)

Generally heavy trucks are way worse in mud. Simplest example is a diesel F250 vs a gas F250. The 1000#+ lighter gas truck completely shreds the diesel in mud. These big trucks can legally (within the wheelwells) use much larger tires though. 37x12.5 fits inside a Super Duties wheel well with room to spare. But a much lighter F150 on 35x12.5" tires will float right across wet grass fields that the Super Duty will sink in.

Sometimes a heavy truck will grip better at rivers or flooded road crossings. They will ALWAYS grip better at a boat ramp.

Generally, don't play stupid games on soft ground, and the fullsize is superior anywhere that it fits.
Therein lies the confusion, in my simple mind, about size mattering. My 80 has a legal GVWR of 7,120 lbs. with a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs along with full floating axles. That’s more than a Ford F-150. So is the 80 a mid size? If so, then stating that a full size is superior anywhere it fits misses the mark. I think the OP is interested in facts.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'll stand by it. I axed my Jeep because everywhere I go now, a Hummer H1 can fit. Such a small plucky vehicle became useless. Every campground had a few fullsizes.

The f250 is more reliable, seat 4 adults in luxury, way more comfortable, does not pee on people, longer range, lockers and 35s without needing any other mods, more stable on sand roads, 10,000# gvwr, 12,500# tow, and can cruise all day at 80mph.

It's better than my Jeep in every way, but it's bigger.

For the tight stuff, I just roll out the Crf450r and braaap Jeep trails at 55mph. The truck can carry 3 of those in its bed. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThundahBeagle

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Thank you these are very good points that I have not thought of. Can anyone make the comparison: which is easier to get unstuck a light or heavy truck?
it is all about flotation

Unknown.jpeg

joking aside......
the lighter the vehicle the easier it is to move
anything with a 100 cubic inch 4 cylinder gas motor will be easier to get unstuck than anything with a 440 cubic inch diesel

Last edited: