Off Grid Trailers - Expedition and Pando 2.0 The Ultimate Rugged Overland Off-Road Off Grid teardrop Trailer to Escape

• HTML tutorial

ScoutWagon

Rank 0

Contributor I

Central Coast California
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
B
I recently discovered OGT when I saw one being towed through town by another FJ. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to flag them down and get a tour, and I didn't pay enough attention to what color/design it was to try to find them later. I really like their designs, and they seem to be one of the most complete packages in regards to their base loadout.

I've had my rooftop tent for over a year, and really enjoy it, but I do really like the idea of having something more solid, especially for longer trips. I could see myself living out of the trailer for a week or 2 at a time, with little to no additional modifications required. Ultimately, that's the goal, and I'm interested to see what people do with theirs, and how they like them!

Reactions: 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I recently discovered OGT when I saw one being towed through town by another FJ. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to flag them down and get a tour, and I didn't pay enough attention to what color/design it was to try to find them later. I really like their designs, and they seem to be one of the most complete packages in regards to their base loadout.

I've had my rooftop tent for over a year, and really enjoy it, but I do really like the idea of having something more solid, especially for longer trips. I could see myself living out of the trailer for a week or 2 at a time, with little to no additional modifications required. Ultimately, that's the goal, and I'm interested to see what people do with theirs, and how they like them!
I’ve probably done the most modifications or close to it. Most are very minor tweaks like additional lighting and power outlets. They are great trailers.

My latest modifications were to add a power port in the kitchen area and a spare tire mount on the roof rack. The power port is a BlueSea 4.8a version. This will allow you to charge an iPad with the screen on if need be. I am also going to swap one of the factory ports in the cabin for this large amp version.

1257199C-C286-466A-A9CE-F0039978AAD6.jpeg

The spare tire factory mount is in the front but this gives me more room for the FJ swing out door. Also since all my rims and tires match I won’t always take the 2nd spare other than for deep backcountry trips or down to Mexico.
06A8DE91-7ACE-442A-AD57-36F33C10FDE6.jpeg
I still have to mount this.

06BFE13A-2E19-403E-9A34-CC45DFF937D1.jpeg
Spare tire mount was originally for my Warrior Roof Rack. You can see my other modifications on my website.

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I wrote a couple of articles today for my website. Article one talks about the history of the trailers I have owned along with a brief review of our Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer. (We love it by the way)

Article two is a simple Pros and Cons list of all of the trailers I have owned.

Regardless of whether you purchase an Off Grid trailer I hope you can find my experience helpful.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Today I broke out my RV-5 Oz Tent to see how I could incorporate it with my trailer. It would normally go on the driver side but I didn't have room in the lab (garage) to test it out that way. This would be a cool setup for multi-day base camping or when bringing family along. It only takes one person about 15 minutes to pack up. Have some help and it is even quicker. Yes, my garage is a mess. Oh well. Boxes everywhere because we have to drive to town to do recycling.

kjv1mtkqTt6C6aMNTHuJzg.jpg

+upPoHYQThuNQHgiLDkD+g.jpg

4kiwwn7BRuWmrx%B7GuIig.jpg

9p4+qfswQNGSJa0z5p%CWA.jpg

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I just got back from 4 days in Death Valley. We had lots of fun. Having a heater in the trailer is great. On our arrival night the winds kicked up in Furnace Creek. I just hopped in the trailer and watched a movie. Other folks were battling the wind with their tents and stuff was flying everywhere. It was fun to take the trailer through Titus Canyon and the Lippincott trail. We completed a loop including going out to Big Pine and then Eureka Dunes with the exit to the east to rejoin pavement near Scotty's Castle Road.

The more I use the trailer the more I love it. We will keep adjusting our gear setup and keep pairing some of it down. The good news is there is still a ton of room for gear if we ever need it.

wZe3rkVqQpK%L79XeD754Q.jpg
dR4RZ%rUR5e9j2ZO0pJGeg.jpg
HoVqHfgRQnW9GkOlw3UKfA.jpg
wEvTQs81S%Wvus11aY8JrA.jpg
IHYVJFrcSzWw1+lg9aM3dw.jpg
zHeh+OW7Sx++ZoqnCP%oSw.jpg
0ESRHO0bS6ONejYOkkZo7w.jpg
We hit snow and ice for a few miles exiting towards Big Pine. It got deeper just after this photo.

N1x0fjUqTJeck5hkLfJp3g.jpg
IMG_5349.JPG

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I think I can see an Off Grid trailer in my future but until I see both of them in person I won't know which one I want to get. I really like them both but they definitely have their kitchens setup differently so I have to see which one I would like better, right now I'm leaning towards the Pando. One of the problems with living in NW Florida is I am far away from most the Overland Trailer dealers. I'm kind of surprised Overland Trailers haven't caught on popularity on the North side of Atlanta which is so close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Sure would be nice if they would do an Overland Expo for the Southeast near Atlanta. Until that happens or I manage to get out West I guess I'm just out of luck!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I think I can see an Off Grid trailer in my future but until I see both of them in person I won't know which one I want to get. I really like them both but they definitely have their kitchens setup differently so I have to see which one I would like better, right now I'm leaning towards the Pando. One of the problems with living in NW Florida is I am far away from most the Overland Trailer dealers. I'm kind of surprised Overland Trailers haven't caught on popularity on the North side of Atlanta which is so close to the Blue Ridge Mountains. Sure would be nice if they would do an Overland Expo for the Southeast near Atlanta. Until that happens or I manage to get out West I guess I'm just out of luck!
Reach out to Off Grid and see if any ambassadors are near you.

Reactions: Viking1204

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I just got back from 4 days in Death Valley. We had lots of fun. Having a heater in the trailer is great. On our arrival night the winds kicked up in Furnace Creek. I just hopped in the trailer and watched a movie. Other folks were battling the wind with their tents and stuff was flying everywhere. It was fun to take the trailer through Titus Canyon and the Lippincott trail. We completed a loop including going out to Big Pine and then Eureka Dunes with the exit to the east to rejoin pavement near Scotty's Castle Road.

The more I use the trailer the more I love it. We will keep adjusting our gear setup and keep pairing some of it down. The good news is there is still a ton of room for gear if we ever need it.

View attachment 136474
View attachment 136475
View attachment 136476
View attachment 136477
View attachment 136478
View attachment 136479
View attachment 136480
We hit snow and ice for a few miles exiting towards Big Pine. It got deeper just after this photo.

View attachment 136481
View attachment 136482
Great pics! I love Death Valley, hoping to get back out there next month.

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I wrote a couple of articles today for my website. Article one talks about the history of the trailers I have owned along with a brief review of our Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer. (We love it by the way)

Article two is a simple Pros and Cons list of all of the trailers I have owned.

Regardless of whether you purchase an Off Grid trailer I hope you can find my experience helpful.
Great articles. I also read your modifications article.

I personally can't stop doing mods to my Oregon Trail'r Terradrop. I've been modding this thing for 3 years but it always seems like there's something that can be improved/added/tweaked. I've used some of the same hardware as you. Those magnetic rechargeable lights with the daylight and motion sensor are great! I have those in our pantry area. The Blue Seas USB outlets are robust and were my choice also. The little things like hooks in the cabin for hanging keys/hats/jackets were some of the easiest but most used mods. Some of my other mods include...

MPPT Solar Controller
DC to DC charger (charging from tow vehicle)
Blue Seas Systems M2 State of Charge monitor
Tongue Box with fridge slide/pantry
Garvin Wilderness Rack (mounted to the Lietner Load Bars included on the trailer)
Custom aluminum dry box on the roof rack (this is love/hate relationship, lots of great, weather proof storage but a real pain to get to on top of the trailer, its not removable)
Modified Fantastic Fan for ultra slow operation (speed controller added) - this is to prevent condensation in the cabin for cold weather camping and works great
Upgraded stove from the standard Suburban stove to something with more BTUs.
Supapeg wing awning
Roadshower - modified with custom 12VDC electric heat strip (can be used off grid but isn't very practical without shore power or a generator)
Magnetic shoe bag setup (also one of the most used and simple mods) shoes hang on a magnetic hook from the fender in a waterproof bag)
...and probably a half dozen or more I can't remember at the moment

I've found modding/tweaking my setup almost as much fun as actually using it.

-Curtiss

Reactions: 1Louder

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

Agree! Sarasota, FL here and NOTHING close. A friend and I are going to Expo East so hopefully we can see the Expedition 2.0 in person. FYI...I saw this posted on their website last night. Looking forward to seeing with their 2020 pop-up will be like. 2020 Sneak Peek - Off Grid Trailers

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I won't be able to make to Expo East but I am hopefully Expo Southeast will be closer and Off Grid Trailers will be there.

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

I won't be able to make to Expo East but I am hopefully Expo Southeast will be closer and Off Grid Trailers will be there.
wait what? there is an Overland Expo Southeast? I read they added a Mountain West, but this would be the first I heard of a Southeast. Would LOVE for one to be closer so we can get there more often. This will be our first trip to Overland Expo...we got the weekend camping pass. Dropping the wives off in Savannah and will continue on to VA the next day for the Expo. Would love to see one closer to FL at some point...

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
They had a Southeast one in Arkansas last year and are in the planning stages for the one this year to hopefully be somewhere like TN or Northern Georgia. I think it will occur in the Fall.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Agree! Sarasota, FL here and NOTHING close. A friend and I are going to Expo East so hopefully we can see the Expedition 2.0 in person. FYI...I saw this posted on their website last night. Looking forward to seeing with their 2020 pop-up will be like. 2020 Sneak Peek - Off Grid Trailers
There are owners all over the country. Reach out to Off Grid to see if there is someone close to you who is willing to give you a tour. Off Grid Ambassadors can save you a few bucks on the purchase and they are also compensated for their time to show you the trailer. It is a win win for everyone. You don't have to wait for a big show.

Here is the customer map. It gets updated every few months. So if you don't see a pin on the map there still might be someone in your area.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiger541

Agards1011

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Gardner
Member #

There are owners all over the country. Reach out to Off Grid to see if there is someone close to you who is willing to give you a tour. Off Grid Ambassadors can save you a few bucks on the purchase and they are also compensated for their time to show you the trailer. It is a win win for everyone. You don't have to wait for a big show.

Here is the customer map. It gets updated every few months. So if you don't see a pin on the map there still might be someone in your area.

Yeah, have seen the map. Closest one is Atlanta, Ga. Nice big hole when it comes to FL :)

Reactions: Viking1204

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
@1Louder, any info on lead times after you place an order? The plan at the moment is to order an Expedition 2.0 a few months before (likely September or so of this year) an Expo West 2021, Death Valley and possibly Baja trip we're starting to plan, in order to have time to do a few local shakedown trips before the following May. I'm in Louisiana, but will likely have it delivered to Phoenix so I can start the shakedown on the way back. Just trying to figure out when I need to order so I can be sure we're good to go for that month long 2021 vacation. Thanks in advance!

ETA: I might have missed it if you posted something earlier in the thread and apologize if I did. I've been looking at OGT since I first saw one at Expo West last year and can't wait to get my hands on one!

Last edited:

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
@1Louder, any info on lead times after you place an order? The plan at the moment is to order an Expedition 2.0 a few of months before (likely September or so of this year) an Expo West 2021, Death Valley and possibly Baja trip we're starting to plan, in order to have time to do a few local shakedown trips before the following May. I'm in Louisiana, but will likely have it delivered to Phoenix so I can start the shakedown on the way back. Just trying to figure out when I need to order so I can be sure we're good to go for that month long 2021 vacation. Thanks in advance!

ETA: I might have missed it if you posted something earlier in the thread and apologize if I did. I've been looking at OGT since I first saw one at Expo West last year and can't wait to get my hands on one!
60-90 day lead times. Off Grid is very committed to keep deliver to 90 days or less even as demand increases. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions although I don't mind posting them here either.

Reactions: ru108

ru108

Rank V

Traveler II

Prairieville, LA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Tindall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5TIN
Service Branch
USN
60-90 day lead times. Off Grid is very committed to keep deliver to 90 days or less even as demand increases. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions although I don't mind posting them here either.
Perfect. Thank you, sir!