Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Heading out late tomorrow for some camping then going to run the Tread Lightly Trail Friday morning.
I haven’t ran it before but if anyone has or wants to join, here’s your invitation.

fairly stock 4Runner so nothing too crazy planned, just bombing through the forest.

Patrick

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ve been around the bombing range up there once before but I was lost most of the time.

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
It was a lot of fun! A bit scratchy and narrow in places, if you see two side mirror covers in red they were my contribution to the local fauna. I was able to get out right after a thunderstorm so the dust was subdued and I had the trails to myself. However I had to tomahawk a few trees that had fallen but otherwise a nice little trip.

Attachments

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Cool, looks like a good trail. Can you camp anywhere along the trail?
The national forest has a few developed campsites you can use a fee but you would have to check if they were open and cost. I saw one that seemed closed but I know there are more.
Dispersed primitive camping is allowed in the forest but you will want to check the rules about how and where. It’s fairly open throughout the forest but some areas are off limits and typically you need to setup far enough away from the trail and such.
There is no way I could relay all of the rules but they are not strict by any means and is my preferred way to camp. Mainly treat the land, wildlife and people with respect and don’t be a jerk lol.

Nothing on the trail was a hard obstacle however if it had been wet for a couple days I could see it being a very different story in places.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Big Scrub Camp and some of the others are closed because C19. The trails are an embarrassment to Florida, beer cans and litter, construction debris, old furniture, line all the trails. Some were so bad were turned around for fear of cutting a tire. #1 for trash in all our travels. We always pack out 2-3 bags. IMO I would be very hesitant boondocking solo and would definately be armed at all times. Methheads, Squatters, Bums, Rainbow Cult, and the Good ole Boys running the trails raising hell at night. 77C38C55-7B25-4135-BD50-97175CC70FC7.jpeg2DF4714B-0A9A-496A-8596-1D72AD86DA1C.jpeg32256A4E-3968-44CF-94C3-14BFC799E243.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Desert Runner

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Well I wouldn’t say it’s the cleanest trail system I’ve been on but it is far far from the worst. I try to leave it a little cleaner then when I started and go from there.
PS there are now 4 Barcelona red mirror covers from my 4Runner somewhere along this trail. If you find them your eyes are better than mine. I have glued this next set on.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Talking about maps don't forget the Gaia MVUM maps of Ocala National Forest. No reason to piss off the rangers and the FWC police because you are in an area you're not supposed to be in. Stuff does happen tho. I'd say I never got off the trail but that would be a lie.

Reactions: Pkins44

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
You pretty much need the entire kitchen sink and then some to NOT get off trail there. Between google maps, the hard copy updated trail map and Gaia I still find myself down trails marked with a Jeep on one end and marked no Jeep’s on the other. I shrug my shoulders and hope good intentions count for something for that eventual time I look like one of those dubious “if it fits it ships” trail runners

Reactions: Michael Golden

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Thinking of making another run in the next week or so, weekday typically, seeing if anyone is going to be running the tread lightly or any trails in Ocala?

Pkins44

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Sarasota, FL, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Kinsella
Would like to but wife had blocked my calendar and then we are heading to blue ridge area. Hopefully I can make the next run.
Bummer… I’ll be heading up there the 1st and staying a couple nights. See some bears, drink some beers and run some trails.

I’ll meet you out there another time.