Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Now the big modifications begin.

I ordered the MOAB bed from Adventure Wagon, as well as the MOAB bed support tracks. I also ordered an Espar D2 kit, and some other Espar related goodies (external temp sensor, programmable / timer controller, etc.) from Heatso. They arrive tomorrow. I'll be tackling those installations myself with the help of a friend.

Yesterday, I dropped the van off with the team at White River Overland in Aspen.

The work list is as follows:
  • Rear bench conversion: 3-person converted to 2-person
  • Rear bench installation: Left (driver's) side of van, in 1.5 position
  • Floor treatment: TPO Coin Grip (black) with aluminum extrusion finishings and recessed L-track along back of the van for bike fork mounts, as well as thinsulate under floor
  • Lizard skin sound deadening and ceramic thermo barriers
  • Exterior scene lighting, passenger side
  • Headliner upholstery and thinsulate behind headliner
  • Driver and passenger side RB Components 10x36 bunk windows in rear side panels
  • Driver side factory fixed glass in panel behind driver
  • Two Maxxair 7500k fans
They sent me some pics today... they got to work quick!

Reactions: dj_mccomas

JustinH

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle, WA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Hartley
Member #

From one sprinter fan to another, cheers! Out of curiosity, what did you apply the penny floors to? The stock MB flooring panels or did you go full baltic birch ply?

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

From one sprinter fan to another, cheers! Out of curiosity, what did you apply the penny floors to? The stock MB flooring panels or did you go full baltic birch ply?
To the stock floors. Baltic birch would provide no tangible benefit over the stock floor in this application, and would also take up more height which would eat into your overall standing height. I’m 6’2” so I just barely fit under a Sprinter’s roof standing up.

If I was building cabinets? Absolutely Baltic birch.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

Update: before I even updated my build thread to the most current state of the van, I sold it... oops.

They’ll be another sprinter in the future.

JustinH

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Seattle, WA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Hartley
Member #

To the stock floors. Baltic birch would provide no tangible benefit over the stock floor in this application, and would also take up more height which would eat into your overall standing height. I’m 6’2” so I just barely fit under a Sprinter’s roof standing up.

If I was building cabinets? Absolutely Baltic birch.
Good to know - thank you. I have the same headroom dilemma. I'm 6'4" and can crouch/stand without much issue so an additional 1/4" is something I'd like to avoid.

Update: before I even updated my build thread to the most current state of the van, I sold it... oops.

They’ll be another sprinter in the future.
Congrats on the sale!