Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Not sure if this thread belongs in Gear Review or Q&A but I picked up a Nixon watch the other day and I am sitting here admiring it but then it hit me, I cant bring this watch out into the wild.

What watches, if any, do you guys roll with?

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

To be truthful...I've owned and broken many, many so called high end quality watches. It took awhile to find the right watch(es) for me.

Pic 1 & 2: My "When the SHTF" watch...The Invicta 7001 Russian Diver Chronograph.
Well...I have owned this watch since 2005 (a gift from my mother)...in that time, between then and now, it has been dropped in fire, taken several plunges of up to 75 feet, been on several skydiving adventures, worn on a daily basis in temps of 30- 60 below zero, worn on a daily basis in temps between 100-130 degrees, worn for extended forays in humid jungle environments where it is constantly exposed to moisture 24/7, I have worn it fighting forest fires, it has been bashed on rocks during river rafting /kayaking adventures, several snorkeling trips, constantly exposed to fresh and salt water alike, zip lining, backpacking, exposed to swamp and mud during 4x4 overland expeditions, it has taken the abuse of being worn on several occasions to the firing range where it has felt the kick of my .357-.44, it has traveled to 4 of the 7 continents, I have chased storms with it, and just plain worn it to the bar...and so much more. I have owned, and subsequently "broken", an Omega Seamaster, a Zodiac Super Seawolf, a Tag Heuer, a Chase Durer 1000XL UDT Special Forces watch (yes, the same watch Michael Westen wears on "burn Notice"), and a Luminox...All of which were Christmas or B-day gifts from my parents...I have broken those watches doing the same activities/adventuring/accidents/ that I have put this watch through...Then, my mom bought me this watch...This watch is a tank...literally. It even flew off the top of my car doing 60 mph down I-5 (along with a padlock that I left on top of my car after a Mountain bike trip). It doesn't look as pretty as it once did...but, it still works flawlessly, the crystal has not been compromised, and other than replacing the band (from leather to rubber)and one battery change...no issues. The best watch I have ever owned, keeps great time, the chronograph works well, and the numbers and hands glow and are very legible in low light conditions, and you can just plain kick the s*** out of it. It does come in a "Tactical" all black version...model# 7182

Pic 3: My basic field/adventure watch...The Seiko SSC-081 solar chronograph field watch. Great watch, accurate, water resistant to 50m...under $200.00

These are my 2 main watches

.. 51d1WgoADmL._SY300_.jpg 7001_3.jpg seiko-ssc081p-solar-chronograph-1.jpg

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I love the Bond blue Seamaster.
That's the photo I grabbed from teh Interwebz, but mine is the pre-Bond blue-faced Seamaster. It doesn't have the red "Seamaster" name under Omega, but in smaller white lettering above "Professional". I also have my Dad's white-faced Seamaster from the '50s that still works great, but I rarely wear it. (top-center) Deb gave me mine for our 20th anniversary nearly 15 years ago. :hearteyes:

Reactions: 64Trvlr

TxTerra

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

prosper, tx
Member #

ive been wearing a casio protrek 5100 series for over 2 years of daily use. Its held up great, solar powered, and has quite a few built in features such as a compass, baro, altimeter, backlight, thermometer, and several misc features

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Most expensive watch I own is a "High End" or at least Fossils highest end watch. White face and black leather wrist band. Wife bought it for me when we got married 4 years ago. I still have it and about 20 other watches but never wear them unless it is a special occasion. I have this thing that stuff around my wrists freaks me out and I almost have a mental melt down lol.. I once had a Fossil clasp seize on me....damn...that wasn't pretty. Took a cut off wheel to my watch.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I have a watch problem. What I wear most days is a Seiko dive watch, skx009 to be exact. You can pick one up from Amazon for under $200, it's pretty much indestructible, waterproof to 200m, automatic movement so you never need a battery and if you rock it with NATO straps it can go from field wear to suit and tie in 30 seconds. Seiko also has the best lume paint in the business. Super easy to read in the dark. They come all black or a red and blue "Pepsi" bezel. Here is also a lot of ways you can customize them if it's your thing. Also check out the seiko 5, they're area bunch of them for as low as $60. Only waterproof to 100m but just as rugged.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I have many of the Casio G-shocks. But my father has a Suunto Vector that I loved. So I got the Suunto Core All-Black. Strap recently broke so I got a NATO style band from Jays and Kay's. This watch is pretty awesome! Does everything I need it to do. Pretty rugged but nothing like a Seiko or Casio G-shock.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr and murps

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I'm really wanting a Suunto Traverse. I might get it for myself for a birthday/becoming a licensed banker gift.

Reactions: HoboNomad