OB Watches

• HTML tutorial

MidwestOverlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Indianapolis, IN
Member #

I dont typically wear watches much anymore. I've worn metal, leather, nylon, and rubber bands on them and they always seem to break my wrist out. Typically get a rash around my wrist (part of wear from the band and the profuse sweating that I endure). Currently wearing a Fitbit Surge watch with rubber band and as long as I take it off nightly and clean weekly with Cetaphil it seems to not irritate as badly, but my wrist still turns red.

Reactions: genocache

American Overlanders

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waconia, MN
Member #

Not sure if this thread belongs in Gear Review or Q&A but I picked up a Nixon watch the other day and I am sitting here admiring it but then it hit me, I cant bring this watch out into the wild.

What watches, if any, do you guys roll with?
My vote is for someone with graphic skills to create an Apple Watch face image that I can use on my watch. Maybe the OB logo with a cool background behind it. The 42mm watch has a 312 x 390 resolution. The 38mm watch has a 272 x 340 resolution.

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Nice choice! (See post #2 in this thread. :wink: )
Thanks!!! I had a Rolex Explorer(Polar) for about a week until I got my hands on the Omega. The Seamaster just felt and looked right. I saw the Wave, I can't look again because I just cleaned the drool off my phone. :tonguewink:

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The Seamaster just felt and looked right.
My wife got mine for me for an anniversary many years back. My Dad had a Seamaster from the '50s, and I'd always wanted one. I now have his, too, but rarely wear it. Prior to the Omega, I had 40-some years of Timex watches, all with blue faces.

Reactions: Narbob

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

I have a black on black g-shock and an apple watch sport. Keep the g-shock on my steering wheel most of the time in case my watch runs out of juice, which rarely happens surprisingly.

My vote is for someone with graphic skills to create an Apple Watch face image that I can use on my watch. Maybe the OB logo with a cool background behind it. The 42mm watch has a 312 x 390 resolution. The 38mm watch has a 272 x 340 resolution.
Here are some I had made previously for myself, if you have a specific picture you want me to throw the OB logo on let me know, doesn't take 2 minutes to do.

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

A Timex Weekender...because it's old school awesome. It tells the time. That's it. Not even the date. It does however, shower me with modernity when I press the side and it glows in the dark.

Reactions: Steve

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

Another fan of the Suunto Core. I wear mine everyday, it made it through a deployment and a half. Suunto fixed it for free after I broke it. I've had it 5 years, no issues with the band yet.

IMG_20160603_222410.jpg

Reactions: 64Trvlr

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Watches are like boats, money pits (or overland rigs). Bye what you like. A mechanical/auto will not keep time as well as a quartz but it's a mechanical and it is an engineering marvel. I have been lucky to acquire several mechanical's and enjoy them for there engineering. Masterful representations of Horology.

Reactions: murps and Narbob

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Im sportin a Suunto Core Black these days. Its a greatView attachment 1673 all you need watch, but the bad thing about Suunto Core is the replacement watchband is like $50-$60 bucks for a rubber watchband! if I would of known the Band was so expensive, I might not have bought it.
I use the same watch and have gotten to the point in watchband replacement terms where I need to decide whether i buy a new watch or replace again. This is the third watchband in four years.

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

I've been rocking a Suunto X-Lander for two deployments (another about to happen) and over two years of roaming for the Marines since I got it.

Over four year in fleet service, I've worn through a few Suunto Core's. Most watches can't handle the effects of JP-5/8 fuel.

It's holding up well, despite the worn face.
image.jpeg