Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Part of the issue as it relates to folks on here getting together is grouping Az, NM, Tx and Ok is the southwest ? 4 corner states and S. Cal. are the southwest and are all in driving distance to each other. Tex an Ok are midwest. Az is 200 mi. closer to Co. than Tx.
My thoughts on the southwest region is NM AZ TX CO UT OK. But the program of this site see it an other way as TX NM OK AZ are the southwest. But we are making it open to everyone. Once we have dates set we can make it an event on the member maps. I'm looking for places that are open range areas so that we can have 100s of 4x4s show up. The only thing is that everyone is going to have to police them selfs. Then at the end of the event everyone is going to have to make a line and pick up all trash found. And leave the place looking like we where there but not there.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
My thoughts on the southwest region is NM AZ TX CO UT OK. But the program of this site see it an other way as TX NM OK AZ are the southwest. But we are making it open to everyone. Once we have dates set we can make it an event on the member maps. I'm looking for places that are open range areas so that we can have 100s of 4x4s show up. The only thing is that everyone is going to have to police them selfs. Then at the end of the event everyone is going to have to make a line and pick up all trash found. And leave the place looking like we where there but not there.

Hey @Smidee ,

Fortunately the long debate on what the regions were to be has already been concluded. Overland Bound Actual and ambassadors spent a long time debating how to divide the country up. We finally settled on the United States Wildlife Refuge from the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

1. As overlanders it made sense. Many of us visit these beautiful places in our country.
2. It's a federal map and could easily be referenced at any time.
3. It divided the states in to manageable sections that a single ambassador could assist in running

You can refer to this link for the direct source on what our regions are:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overland-bound-regions.5928/

While we absolutely appreciate what our members feel regions should be @Ryan Matthes along with Michael, Corrie and all the other regional ambassadors unanimously voted on our regions as referenced above. We did in fact ask for all of the OB members input while under deliberation and now the matter has been settled and is concrete.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Even opened to the entire OB community, I would plan on 50 to 60 vehicle range.

I'm not sure if we should look for a sight for 100 vehicles. I would suspect , for this first year, we would see 50ish at most. What are your thoughts @Ryan Matthes ?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Regardless of the parameters set by the forum, distance, time and economics will be the final determination.
I think this is the heart of the misunderstanding behind regions. I'm not picking on you, there are a few folks saying similar things, you just said it best. Your statement holds true even if we change the lines that were drawn to match what you and a couple others think the regions should be. Or if we change them to match what joe blow and some of his friends think they should be in the east. There is no perfect region.
Now on to the crux of your statement and why I say there is a misunderstanding. There are no parameters. I repeat, there are no parameters. Regions were not set up so that folks would have a set area to stay within. That flies in the face of the founding principles. Regions were set up as there is a need to offer representation to smaller areas (It's a global community) in the form of ambassadors. That representation is key in helping areas that need a little help organizing, need assistance on the forums, need someone to offer advice for personal outings, etc... So frankly, to say that there are parameters for events within regions is to completely miss the point both of the regions and of the founding principles.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Even opened to the entire OB community, I would plan on 50 to 60 vehicle range.

I'm not sure if we should look for a sight for 100 vehicles. I would suspect , for this first year, we would see 50ish at most. What are your thoughts @Ryan Matthes ?

At this point, I love that members are actively seeking opportunities to get together - it is occurring all over the US, Queensland, Norway, and now the UK - it's AMAZING!!

As of right now, the only official OTG is in West, and on the calendar. We are working to develop a schedule of official events in each region but aren't there yet for 2017. We will be there in 2018 - and the goal won't be a rig count - it will be providing members with the Overland Bound Experience that can't be replicated, can't be thrown together without CRAZY planning (just ask Corrie), and will be a destination event - meaning, that folks will seek out being able to participate, just like OTG 3 in West clearly is this year.

For now, I fully support members in local areas working to plan get togethers / meet ups and will do whatever I can to support that (as will and do my peers around the country).

As for the regional boundary debate - yes, I agree with buckwilk to an extent - participation in any event will depend on many factors per each participant regardless of the lines drawn on a map - so let's stop whining about the lines drawn on the map.

For anyone working to plan a meet up - keep up the the good work and please please let me know what you need from me - whether a swag bag for giveaways or help with the planning.

RM

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
There are 2 or 3 threads going on here now about this type of event, for the same reason we come to this forum. It is always fun to hang with like minded folks and see what they are doing and thinking. Eyeballing rigs and gear is always fun too. OEX east or west is a difficult place to pull off a camp together, it's expensive for some. I guess I misunderstood the intention of the regions, Chris's explanation makes sense. An event like this always starts with talking and planning, there is a lot of that kind of positive feedback going on here. These things can happen and there are regions where unlimited camping, wheeling and fun occurs. One of those is Moab, Utah. The BLM land there is huge and available. The BLM office is very cooperative and the city of Moab would kill to have an event added to the ones already occuring there annually. There are also private areas that allow events like this in the area of Moab. I'm sure their are other places in the country that would work also.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
So we have found a site for camping that can hold more this 50 trucks and suv's. But there is no streams so water is going to have to be brought in. The trail to the camp site is easy. For the rest of today we are going to look at more trails. We had found two great trails so far one has a stream along it. One of them we are going to have to get with the rangers about opening the gate at the end.

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
I got a lot of video to edit then I'll post the link here so everyone can see.

Reactions: Jeff Graham

buckwilk

Rank IV

Advocate II

yuma, az
So we have found a site for camping that can hold more this 50 trucks and suv's. But there is no streams so water is going to have to be brought in. The trail to the camp site is easy. For the rest of today we are going to look at more trails. We had found two great trails so far one has a stream along it. One of them we are going to have to get with the rangers about opening the gate at the end.

Do you think a site that will hold 50 vehicles will be big enough or are you thinking of limiting it to 50 ?

Reactions: Smidee

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
In this area there are a few other camping area that are spread apart that can hold more vehicles. All in walking distance.

Reactions: buckwilk

Smidee

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque New Mexico
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Service Branch
Army/national guard
Ok yesterday I would have had the trip up on YouTube, but I pulled a me and deleted the videos that make up the movie and the 30 min video got caned. So between working of a project for my FJ, collage, and working on the video not much time to get everything done and be ready for this trip with weekend. Might not get the SWOB hunt video done by this week. I know sorry guys. But to let you in its going to be awesome.

Jeff Tyson

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Following, I'd be interested in attending once dates and local get set. I met who I'm pretty sure was @Ryan Matthes on Pike's Peak yesterday and he put me on to the group. Had a good talk about baskets and roof racks, and his wife's thoughts on road noise and new tires lol.

Galgo

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Down to attend once dates and location are set as well. Looking forward....and thanks to all of you doing the scouting. Very much appreciated!!! Hope to meet you all soon.

Reactions: OverlandAviator