Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hell all, been a Kansas transplant since retiring from the Army. Leavenworth
what unit were you in at Leavenwort? I just found a Facebook group yesterday from my old unit that I served in in Germany is now assigned to Ft Leavenworth. I was in the 165th MP company

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
hey konzalander, do you do much offroading? If so where do you go? I have lived here almost 20 years and don’t know of any offfroad trails etc anywhere around us. As far as I know you have to go to Arkansas to the mountains or to Colorado to get any trails worth anything. I see you are in JC, I lived there 50 some odd years ago when daddy was stationed at ft Riley
I basically learned how to drive at the Tuttle Creek ORV park and spent every weekend up there with a Jeep while at K-State. As such, I've only been up there a few time in the past decade. +800 HP buggies and bouncers have really changed Tuttle's landscape.

My goals have changed and I have been dedicated to wandering around the lesser known corners of Kansas for the past decade. I've set my frame down on rutted muddy roads in Eastern KS, have splashed down the AR river in Western KS, knocked out many thousands of miles of dusty roads in Central Kansas and have been slowly visiting every remaining railroad depot in the state. It takes a lot of research and trial and error work to find any road equivalent to a 'trail'. Head out into the Flint Hills and get lost around sunset, you might just enjoy it :sunglasses:

Remember:
“Anybody can love the mountains, but it takes a soul to love the prairie” — Willa Cather

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Wichita here. Im new to the overlanding community. We were looking to make a change and get out and away more this year. This sounds like a good way to do it.
Plenty of space to explore with mild built or stock rigs in Kansas with some ORV's and some hidden gems to test your rigs limits and your abilities. What rig do you have?

Reactions: Michael1978

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Plenty of space to explore with mild built or stock rigs in Kansas with some ORV's and some hidden gems to test your rigs limits and your abilities. What rig do you have?
2013 F150 Ecoboost 4x4. only have a Topper and a bedside as upgrades for now.
That's plenty. With good tires, and some recovery gear, you should be set. Main focus is really the camp setup since we don't need much for off-road capability.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Michael1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Linn Valley, Linn County, Kansas, United States
First Name
Dirtroad
Last Name
Overland
Member #

Hello fellow Kansas Overlanders! I'm very new to this and am looking to connect with other Overlanders near me. I'm running a 05 Chevrolet Suburban Z71. It's all new to me but as I'm literally putting my rig together for Overlanding. I know I have a lot to learn so I thought I'd reach out.

Attachments

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Hello fellow Kansas Overlanders! I'm very new to this and am looking to connect with other Overlanders near me. I'm running a 05 Chevrolet Suburban Z71. It's all new to me but as I'm literally putting my rig together for Overlanding. I know I have a lot to learn so I thought I'd reach out.
Hey, Welcome! The full size rigs are starting to take main stage these days. If you are looking to further connect with local's who have an Overland mindset, check out Konza Overland on facebook.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Welcome! Your rig is a great platform given the size, support, and ability to share parts across the same/similar frame platform as the Tahoe and Silverado

Michael1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Dirtroad
Last Name
Overland
Member #

Welcome! Your rig is a great platform given the size, support, and ability to share parts across the same/similar frame platform as the Tahoe and Silverado
Hey, thanks for the supportive words! It's definitely a fun hobby, and I can't wait to get out there with you guys. I'm very much looking forward to it. And some of the videos that I've watched, I've seen a lot of guys running full size chevys. Fascinating really. I don't feel so alone in the Chevrolet market. Lol.

adventure_is_necessary

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Hey, thanks for the supportive words! It's definitely a fun hobby, and I can't wait to get out there with you guys. I'm very much looking forward to it. And some of the videos that I've watched, I've seen a lot of guys running full size chevys. Fascinating really. I don't feel so alone in the Chevrolet market. Lol.
Our regional director has an Avalanche as his rig and he does just fine with it!

Michael1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Dirtroad
Last Name
Overland
Member #

Hey, Welcome! The full size rigs are starting to take main stage these days. If you are looking to further connect with local's who have an Overland mindset, check out Konza Overland on facebook.
Hey there Konza Overlander. Thanks for letting me know about your Facebook page. I will definitely be checking you out. I can't wait to further connect with an awesome group of people. I've heard there's a lot of really cool places to run your rig out in the middle part of Kansas and out west. Super exciting

Reactions: KonzaLander

Michael1978

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Dirtroad
Last Name
Overland
Member #

Our regional director has an Avalanche as his rig and he does just fine with it!
That's good to know! I will definitely be picking his brain on some of the finer aspects of what to do from a stock platform to where he's running.

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
Hi all,

I've been an infrequent traveler most of my life. 8-5 40hr work weeks just aren't super conducive for traveling. In Kansas, we are lucky to be within a days drive from so much diversity. Where I am located I am about 7 hours from the eastern interior of the rockies and about the same distance from the ozarks of Missouri/northern Arkansas and the Ouachita NF regions of SE Oklahoma/West-Central Arkansas. I love that I can plan trips to such diverse regions that are all within about the same distance from me, however I can't help to think how nice it must be to have one of these regions in your back yard! I would be adventure traveling and camping much more frequently.

I'm starting to raise a family now with a 13 month old and have a few trips planned for us all to go on this year that I am very excited about. I enjoy photography, writing and videography. I am planning on creating some multimedia content of our upcoming trips. We run two vehicles that are capable of adventure traveling. My 2015 Ram 1500 and my 2002 Jeep TJ. We are taking another couple out to Colorado this fall and will be bringing the TJ along for them since the truck will be carrying our little guy and most of our equipment. I just installed a new frameless soft top on the TJ with a sunrider, which should be nice out in Colorado this Fall. If you are in the Wichita area in September, we should be at Jeep Night at Steerman Field this year if you'd like to meet or see the Jeep. It's nothing special but is a nice example of a clean and mostly stock TJ. Thanks for reading!

IMG_1527.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG

Reactions: KonzaLander