US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hey yall, thought I'd introduce myself! I'm moving up to the Denver area (from Texas) for work in February and I can't wait to see what the mountains have in store for me! I drive a 2003 Lexus LX470, currently in the building stage. I'm hoping to meet some people up there to wheel with, Texas can be difficult sometimes to find people to go on the trails with. Cheers!

P.S. I've got brand new KM3 Mud Terrains on my truck right now. I had some people tell me I'm gonna have a terrible time with them during the snow season, is it bad enough that I should get a winter set to drive my truck on? I'd like to know realistically instead of people sensationalizing like they do on Facebook lol

View attachment 176384 View attachment 176385
Nice rig! And welcome to Colorado.

How do you like the KM3s? How’s the noise? I was considering a set myself...

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hey yall, thought I'd introduce myself! I'm moving up to the Denver area (from Texas) for work in February and I can't wait to see what the mountains have in store for me! I drive a 2003 Lexus LX470, currently in the building stage. I'm hoping to meet some people up there to wheel with, Texas can be difficult sometimes to find people to go on the trails with. Cheers!

P.S. I've got brand new KM3 Mud Terrains on my truck right now. I had some people tell me I'm gonna have a terrible time with them during the snow season, is it bad enough that I should get a winter set to drive my truck on? I'd like to know realistically instead of people sensationalizing like they do on Facebook lol

Driver common sense and experience trump any set of tires. Get out and do some slides in a parking lot until you get the feel of reacting correctly without panicing. If in doubt, slow down. I have driven in Colorado for 50 years on regular old radial tires. Never failed to get where I needed to go. Remember, big tires and 4wd help you get going, but not so much for slowing down. Always look a quarter mile beyond where you are.

Tip, stay off the road the first big snow/ice storm. We call it a Darwin Event.

AlamoCruiser

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hernandez
Member #

Driver common sense and experience trump any set of tires. Get out and do some slides in a parking lot until you get the feel of reacting correctly without panicing. If in doubt, slow down. I have driven in Colorado for 50 years on regular old radial tires. Never failed to get where I needed to go. Remember, big tires and 4wd help you get going, but not so much for slowing down. Always look a quarter mile beyond where you are.

Thank you for the advice. I feel I’m a pretty competent driver, I’ve had lots of experience behind the wheel racing so I’ve got it engrained in me to look ahead and keep my head on a swivel.

I honestly love them. I had KO2s on my 3rd gen 4runner prior to owning this truck. The KO2s were marginally quieter and have similar road handling dynamics (aside from slightly shorter braking distances than KM3s). As far as wear goes, I can’t say since I’ve only got about 500 miles on them, but they’re okay for now. I’ve heard rotating them every 600-1000 miles is a good idea, so I’m planning on that to keep them wearing evenly

• Love
Reactions: old_man

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Thank you for the advice. I feel I’m a pretty competent driver, I’ve had lots of experience behind the wheel racing so I’ve got it engrained in me to look ahead and keep my head on a swivel.

I honestly love them. I had KO2s on my 3rd gen 4runner prior to owning this truck. The KO2s were marginally quieter and have similar road handling dynamics (aside from slightly shorter braking distances than KM3s). As far as wear goes, I can’t say since I’ve only got about 500 miles on them, but they’re okay for now. I’ve heard rotating them every 600-1000 miles is a good idea, so I’m planning on that to keep them wearing evenly
I got KO2s now and after almost 20k miles no complaints. Looking forward to your updates on the KM3s!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Hi and welcome to the Denver area. You will like it here. I've been here all my life, and yes there will be a few days that will test you and your vehicle. But I have a 2 wheel drive Ford F-150 that I can get around during the worst storms. With weight in the back and good snow tires I'm good. With my Xj when I had those crappy km 2s
And had a difficult time. But from what I have heard about the Km 3s you might be fine. I would just try driving on them and go from there. I have ko2's now and love the way they handle everywhere.

Reactions: Lizbathory1313

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
You should do fine. Just worry about the other idiots out there.

By the way, Colorado has the highest percentage of uninsured motorists, so make sure you at least have the no fault medical on your insurance.

Last edited:

RedRunner87

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Torres

I have heard they are terrible in the snow, but it really depends on your driving style. I had the original KM's on my ZJ and lived in Flagstaff. I didn't have issues, but I knew they would kind of suck in the snow. I would test them out a bit and see how they perform for you. People also hate on the KO2's in the snow and I had no issues what-so-ever with them on my 3rd Gen in the snow.

huntca

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Hunt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2MMT
What up Colorado? We've been OB members since early 2018, but haven't really posted much on here. We've recently moved to Colorado from the West coast and picked up a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick (4WD, automatic). We're building out a 1979 International Scout II as well, but that's going to take a while... probably another 6 months to finish unfortunately. It's a slow process and we're waiting on a new engine. :grimacing: Previously we've explored in a Tacoma and dualsport motorcycles (Yamaha WR250R, Tiger 800, KTM 300).

Here's some shots of the Sidekick from the past three weeks here in Colorado. It's very capable stock and doesn't need much/anything. We've been staying South because of the fires. We were near Divide CO for a couple weeks, then further West near Creede CO. We live in Denver. Our setup is basic, but "refined" :grinning: and suits us very well. We're two humans and dog, a large tent, small kitchen, and some tools. We try to get out and explore at least twice a month.

We're posting on here in hopes to meet some other folks in the area and break up the solo trips a bit. Hopefully meet some of you soon!

sidekick-web.jpg

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

What up Colorado? We've been OB members since early 2018, but haven't really posted much on here. We've recently moved to Colorado from the West coast and picked up a 1995 Suzuki Sidekick (4WD, automatic). We're building out a 1979 International Scout II as well, but that's going to take a while... probably another 6 months to finish unfortunately. It's a slow process and we're waiting on a new engine. :grimacing: Previously we've explored in a Tacoma and dualsport motorcycles (Yamaha WR250R, Tiger 800, KTM 300).

Here's some shots of the Sidekick from the past three weeks here in Colorado. It's very capable stock and doesn't need much/anything. We've been staying South because of the fires. We were near Divide CO for a couple weeks, then further West near Creede CO. We live in Denver. Our setup is basic, but "refined" :grinning: and suits us very well. We're two humans and dog, a large tent, small kitchen, and some tools. We try to get out and explore at least twice a month.

We're posting on here in hopes to meet some other folks in the area and break up the solo trips a bit. Hopefully meet some of you soon!

View attachment 176431
Great pictures Chris!

Reactions: huntca

Molechaser

Rank III

Off-Road Ranger I

Parker, CO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kaiser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0HMM
Hi, everyone. I’m in the Denver area and new to the hobby, looking forward to enjoying more of our great state. Mostly armchair overlanding for now to gain the knowledge needed to start safely, but looking to get out for some confidence building next year.

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Whatsup guys! I'm located in Loveland CO, look forward to seeing you guys out on the trails!!!!
Hi All, just joined the group and wanted to say hello. I live near Glenwood Springs and looking to meet up with some of you next when the snow melts. Just getting into it all, consciously that is, and slowly gearing up for some exploratory trips. Looking forward to some Flat Top exploring.

Hi, everyone. I’m in the Denver area and new to the hobby, looking forward to enjoying more of our great state. Mostly armchair overlanding for now to gain the knowledge needed to start safely, but looking to get out for some confidence building next year.
Hey y'all,
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, work has been keeping me super busy.

Welcome to the community! I'm up in FOCO so if any of y'all are up for a run hit me up I'm always down to get out and about. As the others have said members in our region tend to be fairly active so hopefully there will be plenty of opportunities for us to meetup and enjoy some trails round these parts.

@mrseth that 2nd gen looks like an absolute weapon

@Connor 27 looking forward to seeing you out on the trails!

@huntca That sidekick is really cool, suzukis don't get enough love in the offroad community

@AlamoCruiser I grew up in the DFW area they do a pretty great job keeping the roads up here clear and maintained I can't imagine you're going to have any troubles with KM3s as long as you are driving reasonably.

@Molechaser nothing gets you some confidence as much as getting out there, I know my wife and I had alot of d'oh moments our first few trips out and i'm nothing if not an over planner.

Lookin forward to meeting y'all.

Cheers

WheelinMatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Allenspark, Colorado
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bauman
Hello,
I’m Matt and I live up near Rocky Mountain National Park with my wife and dogs. Been Jeepin’ for years but got into overlanding just the last couple years. Main rig is a 2018 Ram 2500 Powerwagon with some mods. I love doing week long solo trips to Utah desert areas, the more remote the better! Wife and I are planning a month long Idaho-Montana-Canadian Rockies trip for late summer/fall of 2021. Looking for route ideas and places to visit, as well as recommendations on the best, most hard core off-road camper trailer/teardrop.
Look forward to meeting some of you ;)

Attachments

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Hello,
I’m Matt and I live up near Rocky Mountain National Park with my wife and dogs. Been Jeepin’ for years but got into overlanding just the last couple years. Main rig is a 2018 Ram 2500 Powerwagon with some mods. I love doing week long solo trips to Utah desert areas, the more remote the better! Wife and I are planning a month long Idaho-Montana-Canadian Rockies trip for late summer/fall of 2021. Looking for route ideas and places to visit, as well as recommendations on the best, most hard core off-road camper trailer/teardrop.
Check out off grid trailers and Vorsheer. Those are at the top of my list.

Reactions: WheelinMatt

trail_runn4r

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Hello,
Welcome Matt! Glad to have you.

FR33DOM

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
McLeish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W1MMC
Service Branch
USAF
Hello,
Welcome!

Kim and I have an Opus OP4 due to be delivered in the next 6 weeks. Do a google search and you'll find some good stuff about it. They have beat it down pretty good overlanding in Australia. This is a fun vid to watch: .

We too are doing a western USA tour of 30 days in June so we can't wait to get our Opus and get it tested out this spring ;)

WheelinMatt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Allenspark, Colorado
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bauman
Thanks y’all. The trailer we are looking for is the enclosed sleeping cabin type, like Off Grid, Mission Overland and Escapade. That Opus looks great but we do not want RTT, we want fully enclosed ;)

Aeroscout

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

Denver, CO
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Kennard
Member #

Hello,
Welcome to the group Matt! Looking forward to wheeling with you. Always room for another trailer guy!

Iridium

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert CO: Ft. Collins Area

Influencer III

Fort Collins, CO, USA
First Name
Aleem
Last Name
Qureshi
Member #

Thanks y’all. The trailer we are looking for is the enclosed sleeping cabin type, like Off Grid, Mission Overland and Escapade. That Opus looks great but we do not want RTT, we want fully enclosed ;)
Welcome Matt ! Sounds like y'all are up near estes, were out in foco. As for the opus it's not a rtt trailer it inflates like a cabin to quite large If I had the cash I'd definitely be springing for one cuz those things are quite luxurious and carry something like a few hundred liters of water built-in

Reactions: Ldstruckn

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign