OB FULL EAST REGION meet and greet

• HTML tutorial

tbcota25

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minoa, NY
Member #

I decided not to camp because I’ll have to be back in Boston Sunday morning, so this is going to be a fly by trip for me. My goal is to meet at the rally point on time, but if not, I’ll meet everyone at the next spot. Can’t wait to meet everyone in person!

Also, I’m bringing my dog for the ride. Doesn’t anyone know if it is ok with the campgrounds? I didn’t see anything against it on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
They do not allow pitbulls or any bully breed...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tbcota25

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Minoa, NY
Member #

He's a 9 year old boxer. I'll call to make sure. People usually don't throw boxers in the pitbull mix, but you never know.
I have a boxer lab mix and they didn't have a problem with me bring mine... I ended up leaving him home though

amont77

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Boston, MA
Member #

I have a boxer lab mix and they didn't have a problem with me bring mine... I ended up leaving him home though

Ok, so it's probably not that big of deal then. My wife is out of the country and since I'm only coming for the day, I'd thought I'd bring him along. It's too late to find a dog sitter now.

Worse case, they turn me away and I just go hiking in the Catskills.

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
It was wonderful! I couldn't believe how many folks came from far and wide. More than that, was that so many of them decided to stay Saturday night and camp, which really provided the opportunity to visit and get to know one another. It was a seriously good mix of people.

2018-04-21-16.33.17.jpg 2018-04-21-15.22.56.jpg 2018-04-21-20.09.43.jpg 2018-04-21-21.32.37.jpg IMG_20180421_112244.jpg

EscoTerrestrial

US East Region Member Rep
Staff member
Investor

Influencer II

Port Washington, NY, USA
First Name
Juan
Last Name
Escobar
Member #

It was wonderful! I couldn't believe how many folks came from far and wide. More than that, was that so many of them decided to stay Saturday night and camp, which really provided the opportunity to visit and get to know one another. It was a seriously good mix of people.

View attachment 54639 View attachment 54640 View attachment 54641 View attachment 54642 View attachment 54643
Absolutely. It was a great experience thank you all for the awesome time, so many new ideas and concepts. Most of all it was an awesome group of people couldn't have been any better can't wait to do it all over again.
Love the pics here's a few more for the collection.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

It was a great M&G. Thanks @Chris Jones for setting up the event & @ed060784 for campsite/rally point arrangement
]
Absolutely. It was a great experience thank you all for the awesome time, so many new ideas and concepts. Most of all it was an awesome group of people couldn't have been any better can't wait to do it all over again.
Love the pics here's a few more for the collection.
@ed060784

Looks like a great time and that everyone enjoyed themselves! I ended up having to bail at the last sec and was really bummed/pissed about not being able to meet everyone in person. I got to do some good stuff, though, with my adult kid, and did a bunch of getting ready for next trip and picking up trash for Earth Day.

I'm interested in first impressions of the campground, privacy, noise from the RV section, and suitability for future gatherings. Looks like @ed060784 did a great job getting with Bonnie and selecting the right spot for a group get-together. Wish I'd been there to thank you in person.

- How many vehicles showed up, and how many people? How many overnight?

- Would you go back to the same place?

- What did you like about the weekend, and what could have been better?

@Chris Jones and I have been discussing making another OB East gathering happen before too long, and perhaps having two or three workshop style classes and a presentation or two.

- In what sort of classes/workshops/presentations would you be most interested?
- Would you pay a small fee if it meant bringing in a pro, for example a recovery/winch workshop?

I'm all for making this a regular outing that folks can depend on, date-wise, with a standing reservation at this campground or another, if you think that's workable.

Road

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

What @Road said. We will be getting together pretty quick here to work on some workshop style content to provide at these types of meets, as well as some trail ride style events.

@Road, we maxed out at 16 rigs at the campground and there was room to expand. Only 12 or so stayed overnight. Id say we could comfortably do 25 with the space we were provided (assuming all those sites are available). The campground has a playground and pool so it's very family friendly for sure.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

What @Road said. We will be getting together pretty quick here to work on some workshop style content to provide at these types of meets, as well as some trail ride style events.

@Road, we maxed out at 16 rigs at the campground and there was room to expand. Only 12 or so stayed overnight. Id say we could comfortably do 25 with the space we were provided (assuming all those sites are available). The campground has a playground and pool so it's very family friendly for sure.
Cool, great info, thanks.

Geoffrey Cook

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

I would absolutely be interested in doing this EAST meet an annual event, as others have also expressed interest. I would also pay a fee to have a pro come in and put on a class or whatever.

We NEED some trail ride style meets as well, which was another common theme at the meet and greet.

As far the the classes/workshops/etc, I can see where these might be helpful though I am not sure what the correct platform may be to bring that to fruition. I’m still very new to all of this, but loving every moment and can’t wait to continue learning and developing. Some basic online content that is more region focused could go a long way. For instance, some of the policies and procedures for out west may differ for us here in the east.

Basic trip planning would be of particular interest. For interest, I have this burning desire to plan a trip up in the New England area, but am unsure where to start currently. I can get bits and pieces but I have trouble putting it all together at times, typically when going state to state.

I think folks can always continue their education, but more importantly, their real world experience in recovery.

Another personal interest for me is trail guiding/spotter/whatever you call it. A basics class in spotting would be extremely beneficial for the new folks, I feel.

The possibilities are endless, realistically. I can’t wait to continue building on this great foundation!!

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I would absolutely be interested in doing this EAST meet an annual event, as others have also expressed interest. I would also pay a fee to have a pro come in and put on a class or whatever.

We NEED some trail ride style meets as well, which was another common theme at the meet and greet.

As far the the classes/workshops/etc, I can see where these might be helpful though I am not sure what the correct platform may be to bring that to fruition. I’m still very new to all of this, but loving every moment and can’t wait to continue learning and developing. Some basic online content that is more region focused could go a long way. For instance, some of the policies and procedures for out west may differ for us here in the east.

Basic trip planning would be of particular interest. For interest, I have this burning desire to plan a trip up in the New England area, but am unsure where to start currently. I can get bits and pieces but I have trouble putting it all together at times, typically when going state to state.

I think folks can always continue their education, but more importantly, their real world experience in recovery.

Another personal interest for me is trail guiding/spotter/whatever you call it. A basics class in spotting would be extremely beneficial for the new folks, I feel.

The possibilities are endless, realistically. I can’t wait to continue building on this great foundation!!

These are topics we are working on for future meets. Camping is fun, especially since we can't always do a trail ride. Adding some workshop content to them will add value. Trail rides are def important. This will be easier addressed on more local levels. I can help facilitate for sure and would love to attend but in my experience, the east doesn't do well to accommodate large groups on trails. Those def need to be kept small to minimize our impact on the trails themselves and to ensure it doesn't take 8 hours to go 2 miles.

Road and I are getting together in the next couple of weeks or so to work on some larger Meetups with workshops. I think Trip planning, recovery, adventure photography and overlanding with the family are our top topics for those right now. We are keeping a list of other topics to include.
More to come on all of that. We want to move quick so we don't lose any momentum.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Great suggestions, Geoffrey. I like the idea of a basics class in trail spotting, too. That would have to happen, of course--or at least would be far more effective--on a good trail that needs spotting.

In the meantime, here are a few links I've collected on Trail Spotting:
http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/the-art-of-trail-spotting/
http://www.4x4wire.com/trail/technique/spotting99/
https://www.rubitrux.com/go4x4it/basic-spotting-rules-trail/

Chris mentioned the workshops we're already considering for a camp gathering. I agree with him on limiting trail rides to smaller groups for impact reasons, when we start organizing those types of events.

Workshop & Presentation centered gatherings will happen. Takes a bit of planning and we'll be working on effective ways for them to happen.

I'm interested in hearing from other folks in the East (VA WV MD DE NJ PA NY CT RI MA NH VT ME) who attended last weekend's gathering and what their impressions were.

- Would you pay a small fee if it meant bringing in a pro, for example a recovery/winch workshop?

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
I really enjoyed the trip and was glad that I took the time to go. Keep that in mind, and please don't read a negative tone into any of my feedback.

1. Would you go back to the same place.
Yes. Given the area, it may be good to keep the relationship with the private campground that was used. It wasn't stellar, but it wasn't bad as far as private camps in NY state go (they are usually pretty bad and cater to seasonal motor/mobile homes). Most are not open early in the season. The one we used was pretty good and had a very decent area for fitting a large number of unstructured campers/rigs. I think if you keep using this facility, and keep it early in the season you will get attractive prices and the owners will probably be accomodating. They were happy to have so many good guests in their first week of operation for the year. Later in the season, their attitude might be different. If you try to move later in the season, you'll be lucky to find a place that can accommodate that many people at once. Geographically, the location seemed to be well chosen and it appeared that everyone had a relatively equal drive to the location (3-4 hours). I am hopeful that this will be turned into an annual get together, I would definitely be there and encourage others to go!

2. What did you like about the weekend, and what could have been better?
The camping with new friends was hands-down my favorite. It was laid back, and the mix of people and backgrounds was excellent. The rigs were impressive, the atmosphere was on point, and the vibe was perfect. The location for the initial meetup rally point had the right features to be excellent, but it turned out that it was already in use that weekend for a major event. This snarled up the initial rally point and led to parking issues and confusion as people rolled in. Luckily, none of which were show-stoppers (but could have been if the police had kicked us out - which I'm sure they considered). This could have been researched more thoroughly in advance. My chief concern was that the 2nd rally point appeared to be changed arbitrarily at the initial meetup (the classic "where should we go...i don't know...where do you want to go..." situation transpired). This discussion should have never happened, because the rally point was already decided and communicated. Originally, the 2nd rally point was to be near the private campground, but arbitrarily got changed to an unremarkable eatery in a not so nearby and traffic congested location with inadequate parking and was difficult for everyone to get to. It is not the quality of the location that concerned me but that the rally point was changed without notice. When you have people coming from long distances, keeping the rally points is essential and should only be abandoned if absolutely necessary (closure, unforeseen circumstances, etc).

3. In what sort of classes/workshops/presentations would you be most interested?
I've never given much thought to this, but I suppose I would be interested in overland planning, trip navigation, photography, and camping/survival/safety skills for my kids.

4. Would you pay a small fee if it meant bringing in a pro, for example a recovery/winch workshop?
Absolutely, even if the subject wasn't a key interest for me (I would do it just to support the general activity).

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I really enjoyed the trip and was glad that I took the time to go. Keep that in mind, and please don't read a negative tone into any of my feedback.

1. Would you go back to the same place.
Yes. Given the area, it may be good to keep the relationship with the private campground that was used. It wasn't stellar, but it wasn't bad as far as private camps in NY state go (they are usually pretty bad and cater to seasonal motor/mobile homes). Most are not open early in the season. The one we used was pretty good and had a very decent area for fitting a large number of unstructured campers/rigs. I think if you keep using this facility, and keep it early in the season you will get attractive prices and the owners will probably be accomodating. They were happy to have so many good guests in their first week of operation for the year. Later in the season, their attitude might be different. If you try to move later in the season, you'll be lucky to find a place that can accommodate that many people at once. Geographically, the location seemed to be well chosen and it appeared that everyone had a relatively equal drive to the location (3-4 hours). I am hopeful that this will be turned into an annual get together, I would definitely be there and encourage others to go!

2. What did you like about the weekend, and what could have been better?
The camping with new friends was hands-down my favorite. It was laid back, and the mix of people and backgrounds was excellent. The rigs were impressive, the atmosphere was on point, and the vibe was perfect. The location for the initial meetup rally point had the right features to be excellent, but it turned out that it was already in use that weekend for a major event. This snarled up the initial rally point and led to parking issues and confusion as people rolled in. Luckily, none of which were show-stoppers (but could have been if the police had kicked us out - which I'm sure they considered). This could have been researched more thoroughly in advance. My chief concern was that the 2nd rally point appeared to be changed arbitrarily at the initial meetup (the classic "where should we go...i don't know...where do you want to go..." situation transpired). This discussion should have never happened, because the rally point was already decided and communicated. Originally, the 2nd rally point was to be near the private campground, but arbitrarily got changed to an unremarkable eatery in a not so nearby and traffic congested location with inadequate parking and was difficult for everyone to get to. It is not the quality of the location that concerned me but that the rally point was changed without notice. When you have people coming from long distances, keeping the rally points is essential and should only be abandoned if absolutely necessary (closure, unforeseen circumstances, etc).

3. In what sort of classes/workshops/presentations would you be most interested?
I've never given much thought to this, but I suppose I would be interested in overland planning, trip navigation, photography, and camping/survival/safety skills for my kids.

4. Would you pay a small fee if it meant bringing in a pro, for example a recovery/winch workshop?
Absolutely, even if the subject wasn't a key interest for me (I would do it just to support the general activity).
Great feedback, @jordan96xj, much appreciated!

Geoffrey Cook

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

As noted above several times, any possible trail rides, off-road adventures, etc would need to remain limited in terms of rigs allowed, due to the nature of it.

With that said, maybe we could look into a meetup at one of the designated off road parks. There are a few in eastern PA and I’m sure there are more farther up north. Maybe I am wrong in that assumption, but a meeting at any designated off-road Park would scratch several of the aforementioned interests by other members, right off the list. Just a thought.

For instance a spotting course or class would be possible. Could possibly bring in a pro for a guided tour, even utilizing one of our current members who may have experience with guiding tours or excursions or whatever you may call it. This could even be more localized, maybe state by state or whatever, but never really excluding anyone with interest, but rather by process, you limit the number of rigs right off the bat.

Finally, as more meets are being planned, folks will have more options to pick and choose from, based on individual desires.

Reactions: Road

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Here is my feedback. :)

Yes & No. The same place is good, but it's a campground. Reservation is all depend on the season. We are luck out because it's early season and not much camping activities happening at the campground. For me, I love to explore new places. Any new place to explore is always preference. But this is just me. I'm flexible with the group and will follow the group decision.

The weekend was low key, hang out, chit chat, relax, meet new friends.... all fun. A camping day in the wild is better than staying home. I think it was one of the coldest night I can endure so far. I think it's my own problem for not being prepared. High 20's without heat and 25 degree rated sleeping bag is a fun experience.

I'm fairly new to overlanding. Any classes/workshops/presentations would be benefit to me.

Yes, totally worth it.

Reactions: Road