OB FULL EAST REGION meet and greet

• HTML tutorial

Pross

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wayne, NJ
Member #

@ed060784 thanks for organizing this! I am frequently in the Ashokan reservoir area and can suggest a route from the reservoir to the campsite with several scenic vistas and good photo opportunities. Let me know if you are interested or if there is anything I can do to help.

ed060784

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dracut MA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Fermin
Member #

@ed060784 thanks for organizing this! I am frequently in the Ashokan reservoir area and can suggest a route from the reservoir to the campsite with several scenic vistas and good photo opportunities. Let me know if you are interested or if there is anything I can do to help.
No problem dude i’m looking forward to meet everyone!! I’m game for a scenic route we can definitely figure that out. The only issue that I can see is that there may be 20-40 vehicles if everybody shows up.. that’s a lot of rigs for a trail ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Pross

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Wayne, NJ
Member #

There is not much for trails there- it would mostly be on-road with stops at waterfalls, etc. The Ashokan is owned by NYC's Department of Environmental Protection and they may require an access permit to use the rally point AND are in the process of removing old railroad tracks to make a rail-trail and if they are still working in the area of the rally point, it will be inaccessible. It depends on whether or not they are still working on 4/21. From the DEP website:
  • Ashokan Northern Shore Temporary Closures (Multiple Recreational Units): Ashokan Reservoir, Town of Hurley and Olive, Ulster County. Closures will be in effect for recreation units located along the northern shoreline of the Ashokan Reservoir for Phase 1 of the Ashokan Rail Trail construction. The recreation units impacted by the closure include the Bushkill, Sand Hill, Ashokan North, Glenford, and the Ashokan Fishing Access Area. DEP expects to reopen the lands early in the spring. While closed, all recreational access on these parcels is prohibited
I will keep an eye on the project and see if they are still in the area as the date approaches. The good news is there is a very good alternate rally point on the south side of the reservoir and it does not require an access permit. I will keep you informed

ed060784

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dracut MA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Fermin
Member #

There is not much for trails there- it would mostly be on-road with stops at waterfalls, etc. The Ashokan is owned by NYC's Department of Environmental Protection and they may require an access permit to use the rally point AND are in the process of removing old railroad tracks to make a rail-trail and if they are still working in the area of the rally point, it will be inaccessible. It depends on whether or not they are still working on 4/21. From the DEP website:
  • Ashokan Northern Shore Temporary Closures (Multiple Recreational Units): Ashokan Reservoir, Town of Hurley and Olive, Ulster County. Closures will be in effect for recreation units located along the northern shoreline of the Ashokan Reservoir for Phase 1 of the Ashokan Rail Trail construction. The recreation units impacted by the closure include the Bushkill, Sand Hill, Ashokan North, Glenford, and the Ashokan Fishing Access Area. DEP expects to reopen the lands early in the spring. While closed, all recreational access on these parcels is prohibited
I will keep an eye on the project and see if they are still in the area as the date approaches. The good news is there is a very good alternate rally point on the south side of the reservoir and it does not require an access permit. I will keep you informed
Thanks for finding that out, it seems that this could be discussed while we are together over at the rendezvous point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IELIAS12

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boston
Member #

Just curious...How many people are bringing kiddos? I have my daughter that weekend, and it would be great to have others with kids..Thanks all...So far, it sounds like it's going to be a great time.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

So folks are camping over? Any trails being done? Last I read it seemed like it was jus a meet up at this time.
No trails on this one. Some of us coming from further away are camping for the night. It's mainly a meet up mixed with a swap meet. Bring old gear to sell.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Heh - after seeing another post you commented on, Chris, I think it'd be fun to do a swap meat, too, where we all bring different meats to cook and swap after the swap meet with gear.

No trails on this one. Some of us coming from further away are camping for the night. It's mainly a meet up mixed with a swap meet. Bring old gear to sell.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Heh - after seeing another post you commented on, Chris, I think it'd be fun to do a swap meat, too, where we all bring different meats to cook and swap after the swap meet with gear.
You, sir, are a genius!

Reactions: Road

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I’ve got a 15 mo. I am working to get her on smaller trips now, “baby steps” right? Eventually, provided she grows into it, she will be with me and her mother on every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
That's the way to do it! Start them young...Even if they veer away in their teens they will return to the outdoors as adults! Right @Michael!

Reactions: Geoffrey Cook