Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

Has anyone else had their OB emblem oxidize?
Mine is less than two months old and it’s turning a white color. Is there something I can do to bring it back to what it was?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

Has anyone else had their emblem oxidize? We’ve had ours less than a month and it’s turning whiter and chalky. Any help would be great!

Ig: @crusty_rustys_restoration
#OB9940

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you sir!

Ig: @crusty_rustys_restoration
#OB9940
Wow! That's too fast. We have seen emblems oxidize in certain regions (mine are still fine after 4 years, but California), but we have not seen emblems oxidize this quickly. As @Chris Jones said, we'll replace it/them. I'll put this in the queue now. It will take a while for the emblems to be manufactured.

We are also going to send you a protectant spray so you can test it in the field. If it works, we'll recommend this to other members as well.

Cheers,

M

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

@Michael May I ask what the spray is? The salt in Iowa is brutal, but #538 is holding up pretty well. I try to keep the rig clean, and the badge.

Reactions: Michael

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I think badge placement matters for salt. I am happy to report that 0520 doesn't have a spec of oxy. It's located on the rear swing door just above the bumper and is pretty protected from splatter.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think badge placement matters for salt. I am happy to report that 0520 doesn't have a spec of oxy. It's located on the rear swing door just above the bumper and is pretty protected from splatter.
That is where mine is. But everything below the roof line gets violently assaulted with road salt. Especially the back. All the fallout and spray from the tires gets sucked back against the rear. But then again.. I drive a barn shaped vehicle.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

That is where mine is. But everything below the roof line gets violently assaulted with road salt. Especially the back. All the fallout and spray from the tires gets sucked back against the rear. But then again.. I drive a barn shaped vehicle.
I don't mean to say that you should avoid applying the emblem somewhere based on where it will be hit with salt. The emblem shouldn't rot. I think mine is just in the one small spot that doesn't get caked with it.

Crusty Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashua, New Hampshire
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Levesque
Member #

I don't mean to say that you should avoid applying the emblem somewhere based on where it will be hit with salt. The emblem shouldn't rot. I think mine is just in the one small spot that doesn't get caked with it.
Ours isn’t on the front drivers fender right below the Ranger badge. Takes a beating with the New Hampshire salt and sand. Just can’t believe it was that quick

jordan04gx

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chittenango, NY
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2NFZ
After installing the emblem, spray it with Fluid Film, and wipe off the excess. It will stay protected for a good long while. I have rotors out next to my house that I set up as a test 1.5 years ago, and the one I treated is still beading up when it rains. The one I did not treat is severely rusted.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

When I took mine off, I scrubbed it with toothpaste and baking soda, and then polished with Simichrome. Then I sprayed on two or three coat of satin clear coat. It has held up a lot better to Ohio's salty roads than the uncoated badge.

E

expeditionnorth

Mine has stayed the same for years
I think it was the road salt the first winter it was on
clean it with CLR and then clear coat

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Two winters marinating in Pennsyltucky salt and some days mine looks a little rough and others it looks fine. All depends on how well it gets cleaned.

Have seen some oxidiation on 2 of my badges, but the way I see it that just adds character. :)
I agree and feel the same way about every pinstripe down the side of the wagon.