OB emblem issue ?

• HTML tutorial
E

expeditionnorth

washed the rig again today & noticed no matter what I do this is just not right...
My OB emblem has a whitish layer that is emitting from it, not sure if the road salt has set forth a layer of corrosion or whats happening

I've tried a soft bristle brush to clean it up & nothing works
anyone else have this issue or any advice please ?

thinking maybe I should have clear coated it before install...

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Hmmm. I thought the emblems were clear coated already. You could try diluting some CLR and use a Q-Tip in a specific area and see if the corrosion (or whatever it is) is removed, or comes back.

How long has it been there? Has it gown over time, or appear after you wash it the first time?

Reactions: expeditionnorth

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

washed the rig again today & noticed no matter what I do this is just not right...
My OB emblem has a whitish layer that is emitting from it, not sure if the road salt has set forth a layer of corrosion or whats happening

acid rain?

E

expeditionnorth

Hmmm. I thought the emblems were clear coated already. You could try diluting some CLR and use a Q-Tip in a specific area and see if the corrosion (or whatever it is) is removed, or comes back.

How long has it been there? Has it gown over time, or appear after you wash it the first time?
OH it must have been on there for at least 2 years now
it only started after last winter, they started using a salt brine on our VT roads
I'll try the CLR that stuff is supposed to be great, never thought of the obvious...nose on my face

Mike G

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Jose, CA
Member #

Where do you have it located on your rig? You may want to reposition it to another location. After you clean it, you should hit it with a clear coat.

Last edited:

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

I wonder if it's the salt? I've beating mine up and haven't seen this happen...interesting.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey guys, I'd love to figure this out/know what causes it. Please let me know. Perhaps we can prevent it, or treat it. @expeditionnorth we will replace your emblem free. Send this picture to info@overlandbound.com and request a new one. We'd love to know the cause!

M

E

expeditionnorth

Hey guys, I'd love to figure this out/know what causes it. Please let me know. Perhaps we can prevent it, or treat it. @expeditionnorth we will replace your emblem free. Send this picture to info@overlandbound.com and request a new one. We'd love to know the cause!

M
Michael, many thanks for the offer
I'd love to send you this one for testing when I get it off if you'd like
if I remove it safely without damage I may take you up on the offer & place the new one inside the rig
no one seems to notice it where its at now...
I'm thinking it really looks like corrosion & the only thing that can do it here where I live has to be road salt
I'm going to try the CLR first, hopefully that works

E

expeditionnorth

oops post error

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jonovision

if the CLR does take it off, hit the emblem with some clear Plasti dip after. I used it on my rack fairing and remote resi's. works like gang busters

Rodtheviking

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Is there replacement adhesive for the emblems? I had to remove mine as I sold my Land Rover.

Reactions: Michael

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

We've got your new emblem on order. Will arrive with our next batch of laser etched bad boys. They go into production Monday. :)

Corrie