Northwest - Memorial Day Weekend, WABDR (modified)

• HTML tutorial

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
I am new to all this and have a mostly stock 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road and was wondering if you think it would make the trails? If so, I am really interested in going. Still need to get the "boss" to sign off.
You would be fine in your truck. The only thing that requires a built vehicle would be if there is snow. Most of the route can be ran in a subaru.

Reactions: Bu3

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
I'm very interested in this, I've been wanting to explore that route for a few years now. I put in for a day off to make it work but I won't know until the 11th if I got it. Just to be clear, we'd leave may 27 right?

Sent from my VS986 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Dustin S. Godtfring

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I'm very interested in this, I've been wanting to explore that route for a few years now. I put in for a day off to make it work but I won't know until the 11th if I got it. Just to be clear, we'd leave may 27 right?

Yes, we would rally Saturday Morning near Carson, Wa.

We will only be running up the route that is in the southern part. There aren't any good group spots between hwy 12 and the other side of bethel ridge, so I thought it would be better to run up the route and then cut back west and find a spot (assuming we make that pace on Saturday).

I'm hoping to go scout some camp sites in a couple weeks. I'm hopeful that the snow will have cleared out enough for me to get through, and... that I'm not the first one through with a chain saw...

The "Interactive" google map link has my current best guess of the route. I'll have GPX files for people attending a week (hopefully) before the trail run.

Reactions: giarc1234

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
Awesome, if my vacation day goes through count me and my wife in. My rig is a basically stock '13 Frontier Pro-4X (factory rear e-locker), 2" lift and I have a winch for my rear receiver hitch. New member, #3875. I need to fabricate a front receiver for the winch but probably won't have time to do so before then.

Last edited:

Chris Aquino

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I'm in! Member name is Chris Aquino and I drive a 2005 Lexus GX470. I am pretty new at this. I have been on a couple of trips with some folks from Gitout and NWOL. I have that entire weekend off and would just be me in the rig maybe one other person.

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

@jdunk after talking with you on Sunday, I was curious what FRS/GMRS radio you would recommend? I am going to put a CB in my rig but the more I read and research most like using this type of radio based on the same reasons you explained on Sunday. There are may options out there and so many reviews, I thought I would just ask since this is the Primary comms platform for this trip, some might have the same question.

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

Yes, we would rally Saturday Morning near Carson, Wa.

We will only be running up the route that is in the southern part. There aren't any good group spots between hwy 12 and the other side of bethel ridge, so I thought it would be better to run up the route and then cut back west and find a spot (assuming we make that pace on Saturday).

I'm hoping to go scout some camp sites in a couple weeks. I'm hopeful that the snow will have cleared out enough for me to get through, and... that I'm not the first one through with a chain saw...

The "Interactive" google map link has my current best guess of the route. I'll have GPX files for people attending a week (hopefully) before the trail run.
Let me know when you are planning to scout.. I might be able to go with. I have a chain saw and know how to use it. haha

Like I said I can not commit to this run as of yet but might blow off the traditional camping trip to do this. I want to get on that trail.

Reactions: B Wild and jdunk

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

I'll be working on my rig to get it trail ready this weekend. I still need to swap out the 4wd disconnect still and bleed and go through the brakes. Should give me a couple weeks to drive it and make sure there are no mechanical issues. I'm planning on going but I will message you once I know for sure next week.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Has anyone been down that way and scouted any sections of the planned route recently? I'm a bit concerned with excessive snow considering the reported snow pack remaining in parts of the Cascades still.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

With the current rig count of 8, I'm either going to have to call it full, or find someone to lead a second group and we can split it in half.

Of course we would have the same camp sights and major stops.

If you have any experience in the area, and want to lead a group, let me know and we can discuss. I'll update the first post if anything changes, or someone cancels.

feel free to get your name on the wait list for a spot if you still want to go!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

UPDATE: There is still a bunch of snow on the mountains, much more than there was this time last year.

The event is still happening. Though it is likely to be full of snow, reroutes, and various other tests of our ability to adapt and overcome obstacles.

I can say that in the 2 weeks since I was out there last, the snow has receded a lot; why i'm still confident that we will still be able to have a good trip!

I'm going to add a couple layers to google maps so that I can really see the difference in where I was able to make it a couple weeks ago, and where i was able to travel this weekend.

It is a safe assumption that we will hit snow. It didn't get below freezing this weekend, so that's good. We're getting a lot of rain, so that should also help get rid of some snow, of course, that also turns the snow that is there into slush.

For those people that identified as "New", you'll still be good to go. There are enough people with experience.

It will be a great adventure. One way or another!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I've updated the interactive map, and it makes it very obvious how much opened up between my last two trips, and just how close i made it to the north edge of the "planned" route.

MAP!

I'm hopeful that it will clear up a little bit more.

I'm also planning on getting down to do a little day trip recon on the south end next Sunday.

B Wild

Rank VII
Supporter
Investor

Creator I

Issaquah, Washington
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Hall
Member #

Any guess yet on a time/location to meet in Carson on Saturday? For me Carson is 4 to 4.5 hours travel time.

Do you know of any free camping close to there if I went down on Friday?

I can bring a little firewood, a couple hours worth depending on how big fire gets. Mabey we will find some dry deadfall to cut up along the trail.

I have a chainsaw I could bring, but I cannot run it myself because of wrist injury. Let me know if you would like me to bring it. Perhaps there will be several.

Can I pick up my pass in Carson, if my passes don't work? I do have a National Park All Access Pass and a Disability placard that offers some park exemptions.

Thanks for your info. I understand your probably very busy, your time is appreciated. Thank you for your efforts!!