Northwest - Memorial Day Weekend, WABDR (modified)

• HTML tutorial

Spud

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

St. Helens OR
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Ellett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7LSX
How does stuff look for ground tents? I don't have a RTT unfortunately. Probably won't bring my saw, the carb is gummed up good and I'm having a hard time bringing the old thing back to life. Still working on it so it might come with me, just not sure.

Sent from my VS986 using OB Talk mobile app

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Any guess yet on a time/location to meet in Carson on Saturday? For me Carson is 4 to 4.5 hours travel time.

Do you know of any free camping close to there if I went down on Friday?

I can bring a little firewood, a couple hours worth depending on how big fire gets. Mabey we will find some dry deadfall to cut up along the trail.

I have a chainsaw I could bring, but I cannot run it myself because of wrist injury. Let me know if you would like me to bring it. Perhaps there will be several.

Can I pick up my pass in Carson, if my passes don't work? I do have a National Park All Access Pass and a Disability placard that offers some park exemptions.

Thanks for your info. I understand your probably very busy, your time is appreciated. Thank you for your efforts!!
I've been thinking about the start time for a while. I think I'm going to go with something near noon, maybe even one. I know it's a late start, but...

Feel free to bring a chainsaw if you'd like. Any firewood would be fantastic. If you have the all access pass, you should be fine.

I'm hoping to send out the details this week.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Arnel

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Lynnwood, WA
Member #

Yep. I'll be there!

Oh, you mean the dogs. Yeah, they'll be there also.
Lol. I thought about bringing mine along, but my wife is taking them with her for the weekend. The youngest of my 3 dogs is kind of a jerk he has little chihuahua syndrome.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Jdunk did you see my tent question by chance?

Sent from my VS986 using OB Talk mobile app
About the ground tent? I clearly missed it!

Since I wasn't able to get back in there, and find any spots, we'll just have to make sure we find flat ground without rocks or stumps!

I'm sure you aren't the only one with a ground tent.

Or... did I miss a different question?

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

FYI, my goal is to get the route, rally point, and start time out no later than Monday.

I'm hoping to shore up one last quick look at the southern edge of the route and talk to a restaurant with a big parking lot to see if they mind us staging there. Though it might not matter if everyone just eats an early lunch there :tearsofjoy:

It sounds like we have enough saws to handle things that get in our way.

I think the only real communal thing we're going to need is firewood, unless you have some amazing beer, then that too ;)

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
FYI, my goal is to get the route, rally point, and start time out no later than Monday.

I'm hoping to shore up one last quick look at the southern edge of the route and talk to a restaurant with a big parking lot to see if they mind us staging there. Though it might not matter if everyone just eats an early lunch there :tearsofjoy:

It sounds like we have enough saws to handle things that get in our way.

I think the only real communal thing we're going to need is firewood, unless you have some amazing beer, then that too ;)
I wouldn't mind getting lunch someplace before heading out into the great unknown.

I'll be brining as much firewood as I can fit in the back of the Xterra. I was planning on sleeping in the X, but I'll probably bring the RTT just so I can fit more wood inside and keep it dry.

On the beer-note, I plan on having my vintage 1960's travel bar in tote. I'm a whiskey guy, it's my vice.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Sounds awesome. I like whiskey also. In much moderation. I don't know that you need to bring ALL the wood...

Sounds like noon for lunch, 1pm for departure. I'm still going to stop by and talk to them on my way through the town on Sunday. There is a gas station with a little market right next door, so topping off will be easy.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I updated the google map with what I think is the primary route.

Since I didn't get a chance to scout any of the potential camp sites... we're going to have to "wing it".

The "Primary Route" stands at 133 miles, start to finish. Assuming we get to the designated finish, a little back tracking will get back to solid roads.

Reactions: Chris Aquino

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
I updated the google map with what I think is the primary route.

Since I didn't get a chance to scout any of the potential camp sites... we're going to have to "wing it".

The "Primary Route" stands at 133 miles, start to finish. Assuming we get to the designated finish, a little back tracking will get back to solid roads.
Looking at the weather forecast for next weekend.....I'm stoked. Hopefully the warm weather leading up to our venture will cast the late season snow remnants back into the darkness from whence it came.
That being said, recovery gear might be necessary at times. I have MaxTrax and a winch. I'm sure at least a few other vehicles have some semblance of recovery gear. We can probably cover down on those who don't.

Reactions: jdunk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Looking at the weather forecast for next weekend.....I'm stoked. Hopefully the warm weather leading up to our venture will cast the late season snow remnants back into the darkness from whence it came.
That being said, recovery gear might be necessary at times. I have MaxTrax and a winch. I'm sure at least a few other vehicles have some semblance of recovery gear. We can probably cover down on those who don't.
I'm going to go check out some of that southern section today...

As far as the recovery gear goes, between yours and mine, we should have enough to move the world. That said... I need to remember to re-spool my winch under tension.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

There will be some trees to remove from the road. It doesn't look near as bad as last year.

The south end of the trail is clear of snow. I wasn't able to get in and find any camp sites big enough for all the rights. So, that'll be one we have to play by ear, unless someone knows of any places!

Reactions: Arnel