Northwest - Memorial Day Weekend, WABDR (modified)

• HTML tutorial

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

This is the official thread for the WA BDR run, Memorial Day weekend.

Current Rig Count: 8!
Tentatively full! If there is another group leader, we can split the group and add more!
Current People Count: 11!

I'm not sure how many people I'm going to be able to take on this run. It really depends on... well, a lot. Needless to say, the earlier you can commit, the easier.

From an Overland Bound perspective, this is a free event. You only need to take care of your own needs (see below)

If "you are in", I please send me the following information in a direct message here on the forum
  • Name and Forum Name
  • Member number (if applicable)
  • Vehicle type
  • Experience level (all are welcome)
  • Number of people in the rig
  • Contact Info

Capacity:
  • TBD - There will be a maximum number of rigs, though I'm not exactly sure how many that will be, assuming it even becomes an issue.
  • If you want to "reserve" a spot, send me a direct message here on the forum.

Tentative Schedule:
  1. Rally near Carson, WA Saturday Morning
  2. Make our own pace up the BDR from South to North and see where we get.
  3. Monday late morning, early afternoon, break and head home.

Comments/Preparedness:
  • It is likely to be fairly cold depending on altitude. Prepare for cold.
  • It is unlikely there will be a burn ban in effect. All the wood in the forest will be wet, we'll need dry firewood
  • There may be snow in the higher elevations.
  • There may be some tricky parts. But there usually isn't much, if anything that a stock 4x4 can't get through with a little care and help of a spotter (washouts)
  • The relevant pass for this area is the Northwest Forest Pass

Communications:
  • Primary - FRS/GMRS
  • Secondary - CB
  • Tertiary - Cellular

Rough Draft of the route:

OBWABDR.jpeg

Updates:
  1. 04-26-17 - Routed around road that is known to have... Been swallowed by a river...
  2. 05-15017 - There is still a lot of snow. The course is more of a guideline at this point. We will make our own adventure!
Rally Point!

Blue Collar Cafe
22 NE Hughes Rd, Carson, WA 98610

OB WABDR Rally Parking.png
There is a Texaco less than 1 block north. Please top off your tank prior to 12:00.

11:15-12-12:15 Lunch
12:15-12:45 Safety brief, Convoy information, and Q&A
1:00PM Depart!

Attachments

Last edited:

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I don't have any recent experience in Oregon to be able to plan any kind of trail run yet. I would need some assistance with that planning.

One thing that came to mind was to see how far we could get on the WABDR, starting at the Columbia River and heading north. Though, that was just a thought. I'm always up for exploring some place new!

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

I don't have any recent experience in Oregon to be able to plan any kind of trail run yet. I would need some assistance with that planning.

One thing that came to mind was to see how far we could get on the WABDR, starting at the Columbia River and heading north. Though, that was just a thought. I'm always up for exploring some place new!
That sounds like a good idea. Might have to start looking at maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

We could also do a run from Seneca to Sisters. It's a 240 mile stretch. but it could probably be done in 2ish 2.5 days depending on how many rigs we have.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I might be interested but have to check with the "boss" to see if theres any other plans going on. It might be I meetup for only a section of the trip depending on where it ends up.

Reactions: dinghy

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
The Central Oregon Landcruisers will be doing some of Route 4 of the OBDR (the route from prineville to seneca) over memorial day weekend. We arent gonna do the whole route because we want to end up by the painted hills (if you guys havent been up there look it up). I have done this route of the OBDR before and am familiar with it. We ran it in early May last year which was slow going because of snow and dead fall. This will be almost a month later but with the amount of snowpack we got this winter I expect to still have tons of snow and we will have to reroute around a few of the higher spots (not hard to do). You guys are welcome to come check us out. We are a family oriented toyota 4x4 club in central oregon that are super active. We include all makes and models on 95% of our runs. The memorial day run thread is here https://forums.centraloregonlandcruisers.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=85

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

With work, being what it is. I can't get down to OR for a longerish run. However, if anyone has an interest in doing the southern section of the WABDR. I would be more than happy to rally a group starting Saturday late morning / early afternoon.

If anyone is up for it, let me know!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I can already tell, this trip is probably going to be an adventure.

Updated the interactive map with an update to the route. If anyone has any good information on that area, it would be great to get.

I know it's hard since everything is still closed and blocked off...

Bu3

Rank 0

Traveler I

Oregon
Also if you just want some info, gps tracks, and tips on doing the route you are talking about so you can take your own group, I am more than willing to share what I know. All the GPS tracks from our trip last may can be downloaded here https://forums.centraloregonlandcruisers.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20
I am new to all this and have a mostly stock 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road and was wondering if you think it would make the trails? If so, I am really interested in going. Still need to get the "boss" to sign off.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I am new to all this and have a mostly stock 2016 Tacoma TRD Off-road and was wondering if you think it would make the trails? If so, I am really interested in going. Still need to get the "boss" to sign off.
You should have no problem taking the trails in a stock TRD. My stock Cherokee Trailhawk did it last year.

Of course, there is always something that could be unforeseen. But that's all part of the adventure! As you can see by the changes above. Things have already changed!

When you finally get sign off from the boss, shoot me a private message here on the forum and I'll get you on the list!