Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Yes the weekend after Thanksgiving, The last time I ran the trail I saw only one beer can that I picked up. We are going to camp in Edinburg at Creekside campground and yes it is in the middle of Edinburg. There are a lot of campgrounds around the area if you want to not Glamp as we do. I am happy to host dinner for all who wish to come(maybe gumbo?) and there was plenty of vacancy at Creekside. Passes can be purchased right down the street($5-) and if you like to fish I have seen trout in the creek. Let me know what y’all think. -Dave
Creekside Campground is a great little spot, and also convenient.

Wish I was here next weekend. Would be a fun trip!

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

Hay chef...(hello children! )... sorry. What time do you think you are going to hit the trail? I'm in Roanoke but would love to try to get up and ride them camp into Sunday.

Reactions: ChefboyRD

Virginiawilderness

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vienna, Virginia
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Has anyone run peters mills run / tasker gav ohv trails? I looked it up and it looks to be an easygoing trail with some camping. Would be fun for an overnight trip.
Yep, Rachel and I ran it a couple of times while getting to know our 1997 4Runner that we bought this past summer. It’s a pretty easy run, and sometimes crowded. I couldn’t tell you what it’s like in the winter though...

Good luck!

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

Hay chef...(hello children! )... sorry. What time do you think you are going to hit the trail? I'm in Roanoke but would love to try to get up and ride them camp into Sunday.
Last time we hit the trail around ten and it was not crowded. We did see multiple groups start to show around noon. That being said about 11:00? It could be empty with the holiday or packed. You have a three hour haul, is that too early?

Jamal Warner

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

I did Peters Mill on Saturday. Plenty of snow up there still. But I was able to do it all in 2wd(I was testing out some tires)..... any stock vehicle with a little ground clearance can handle it. Now if you try a couple of the side trails, well that’s a different story. My buddy was able to climb up to this really nice clearing where we hope to camp soon, but I wasn’t able to make it. I’m on 33 All Terrains with stock suspension and a leveling kit on a 3rd gen Taco. He’s in a 100 series LC with with Mud Terrains and stock suspension.

Saw quite a few good places to camp. Some down at the bottom of peters mills just before you actually get there and some really nice undesignated spots right off the trail but could be hard to get to.

We began the trail around 10am and finished around 1130-12. And yes it did get more crowded towards the end. Two dirt bikes, a 5th gen 4Runner, 4 Jeeps all JKs and like 7 random vehicles parked to the side throughout the trail who were out in the bush hunting. Saw guys unloading their rifles and whatnot. So not sure if there are any precautions or courtesies to be taken when camping within the trail itself.

Might be interested in going with the group for some camping. Just don’t have anything setup to camp. But I do have a very warm sleeping backs and a truck bed!

Cowboyupdan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Torrington, CT
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Vonrichthofen
Member #

Hey guys. I am going to be in silver springs all weekend probably going to do s national mall trip Friday. Or Thursday afternoon if we get in early enough. Can you send me coordinates for the trailhead for Saturday to get an idea if I can make it or not. 10 or 11 am would be great if the wife let's me out. Maybe I can bribe her with a farm store or flee in the area of you know of anything. Thanks.

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

Hey guys. I am going to be in silver springs all weekend probably going to do s national mall trip Friday. Or Thursday afternoon if we get in early enough. Can you send me coordinates for the trailhead for Saturday to get an idea if I can make it or not. 10 or 11 am would be great if the wife let's me out. Maybe I can bribe her with a farm store or flee in the area of you know of anything. Thanks.
Why don't we meet up at the campground. You have to buy a pass and they are sold right down the street. Then we just climb the mountain to the trail head.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/passes-permits/?cid=fsbdev3_000477

http://www.creeksidecampgroundva.com/

Reactions: Cowboyupdan

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

I'm still on the fence about going. As of now it is rain this weekend. I'll let you know Friday. Yes I'm down for meeting at the camp ground. I have never been up that way so going with someone who knows the drill would be great.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Currently 100% chance on Saturday for the DC area. For the area surrounding Peter's Mill Run (Woodstock, VA) it's showing 100% as well, with freezing rain on Saturday. :(

Both Friday and Sunday look good though. At least for now.

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

Well they are calling for a frozen mix tomorrow. Sounds like it will be tough conditions on the mtn....soooooo I'M IN! As of now who is going, who is a maybe? Are we still meeting at the camp ground?

Reactions: Nootherids

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

Well they are calling for a frozen mix tomorrow. Sounds like it will be tough conditions on the mtn....soooooo I'M IN! As of now who is going, who is a maybe? Are we still meeting at the camp ground?
The only bad part of that is the trip down the mountain, the cutbacks are fierce. It is gravel on the north side and if we go south to north it may be ok. Another worry is they do close the road in winter and I have no idea if that means in bad conditions as well. We are still going today to camp for the weekend in the trailer. Let me ask the locals and I'll report back.

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

I'm still going to plan on coming up. Even if we do ride I need to get out. I'm going to head that way about 8 AM to get there in the 10 range. Is it just us going?

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

I just read the weather report and according to accuweather it is supposed to be total glaze ice. I'm thinking we should hold off on this trip.
Chef, did you make it out or did you call it off? I'm about 35 minutes out. Rain or rain I'm still going to camp somewhere.

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

I'm still going to plan on coming up. Even if we do ride I need to get out. I'm going to head that way about 8 AM to get there in the 10 range. Is it just us going?
It is mixed right no
Chef, did you make it out or did you call it off? I'm about 35 minutes out. Rain or rain I'm still going to camp somewhere.
sorry just checked in.....we are here and I’m willing to go, the wife is gonna hang at the camp. There are plenty of open sites but you may want to set up afterwards. The rain is supposed to stop at some point.

BRIAN NABY

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roanoke Virginia
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nabywaniec
Member #

It is mixed right no

sorry just checked in.....we are here and I’m willing to go, the wife is gonna hang at the camp. There are plenty of open sites but you may want to set up afterwards. The rain is supposed to stop at some point.
Just hit traffic on 81. Should be about 30 minutes