Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

More to come on this one, but we have a few members already on board for this one, and we discussed with a lot of new members while at the Expo West Overland Bound booth.

Will likely be August 3rd (ish) through August 7th (ish) covering Albuquerque to Ouray - hitting northern NM and SW Colorado (Alpine Loop, Imogene and Ophir Passes, Ouray, Silverton, Telluride) awesomeness.

Post up here if you think you might be interested. I will start a Rally Point trip planning event shortly (pssst...Rally Point is our new trip planning tool that is launching shortly or now-ish).

RM

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

View Rally Point

Heartland

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Katy, Texas
Member #

My wife and I will be running the Alpine Loop clock-wise out of Animas Forks on Friday August 11th. It would be great to meet up with other members, but sounds like we'll be too late for this group. Anyone else planning on being there on the 11th?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I'm going to get the Rally Point up in the next week or so. We have been doing some updates based on early feedback, and some of the features being added will be quite helpful, so wanted to wait to get them in.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

NYCO

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Colorado
Member #

been down there many times...let me know if you need a head to bounce any ideas off of..

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Any plans to get the Rally Point up soon so I can nail down the dates I'll need to be there? Also, I have a friend interested in running the loop too, does he have to be an OB member to join in?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

We will be traveling up from Albuquerque through Northern New Mexico into South Western Colorado and spending most of the time on the Alpine Loop and surrounding high-passes.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Ok - it's up on Rally Point - see this thread and switch all traffic over to there. https://www.overlandbound.com/event/northern-nm-sw-colorado-august-4th-7th/

Use the RSVP so we get a count and track on who is going.

I'm fine with non-OB folks joining as well - as long as the OB member accompanying them takes responsibility for their participation and upholding OB values and principles. Happy to chat.

Ryan

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

We will be doing the Alpine Loop counter clockwise - starting in Silverton, CO, going to Lake City, CO, then to Ouray, CO. Staying somewhere on that first segment on Friday night (between Silverton and Lake City or just after Lake City - depending on how quickly we are covering ground, and how much time we spend at the ghost towns). Then, staying outside of Ouray on Saturday night - somewhere along Imogene, again depending on how far we get.

Will complete with Ophir Pass which brings us back to Hwy 550 near Silverton. If folks need to duck out on Sunday morning, we will be hitting Telluride before noon.

Lots of videos and trail maps available on line for these.

The Alpine Loop side is moderately easy - could do in two wheel drive, but is super remote and totally epic. Plus lots of high passes over 12,000 feet.

Imogene can be done stock 4x4 with a good spotter on a few spots. High clearance is beneficial.

I'm not going to sugar coat it - there are a few butt puckering spots on all of these. BUT, totally doable. And epic.

Happy to chat.