Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Depending on who is going and eagerness / guts - there may be a portion of the group that does black bear pass instead of Imogene.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Def check out black bear pass on the youtubes. Most narrow of all. There is an awesome vid of this old German woman yelling and screaming at her old German husband to move over and he can't because he is already scraping the wall.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

We will be doing the Alpine Loop counter clockwise - starting in Silverton, CO, going to Lake City, CO, then to Ouray, CO. Staying somewhere on that first segment on Friday night (between Silverton and Lake City or just after Lake City - depending on how quickly we are covering ground, and how much time we spend at the ghost towns). Then, staying outside of Ouray on Saturday night - somewhere along Imogene, again depending on how far we get.

Will complete with Ophir Pass which brings us back to Hwy 550 near Silverton. If folks need to duck out on Sunday morning, we will be hitting Telluride before noon.

Lots of videos and trail maps available on line for these.

The Alpine Loop side is moderately easy - could do in two wheel drive, but is super remote and totally epic. Plus lots of high passes over 12,000 feet.

Imogene can be done stock 4x4 with a good spotter on a few spots. High clearance is beneficial.

I'm not going to sugar coat it - there are a few butt puckering spots on all of these. BUT, totally doable. And epic.

Happy to chat.
Awesome! I'm not so sure my heart will hold up to Black Bear pass though. Only reason I was 2wd curious is my interested buddy has a 71 Datsun 521 long travel LS swapped prerunner and really wanted to explore the area. He's skilled too, so that helps. I'm more of a novice, but have 4wd, a 2" lift, and sliders. Sounds like I should be good for the loop.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Def check out black bear pass on the youtubes. Most narrow of all. There is an awesome vid of this old German woman yelling and screaming at her old German husband to move over and he can't because he is already scraping the wall.
If anyone is interested in the video, here's the URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7Nkl0pkJk

It's really worth watching!

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Awesome! I'm not so sure my heart will hold up to Black Bear pass though. Only reason I was 2wd curious is my interested buddy has a 71 Datsun 521 long travel LS swapped prerunner and really wanted to explore the area. He's skilled too, so that helps. I'm more of a novice, but have 4wd, a 2" lift, and sliders. Sounds like I should be good for the loop.
Your buddy shouldn't have any issue either.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

ok ok - the Rally Point is going, and if some are wondering why there are so many messages in it, I merged the two threads so that we wouldn't miss anyone.

I am working on a Google Map route for the trip - SOOOOO, that anyone can jump in or out along the days. Basics are: Leaving Albuquerque on the 3rd (Thursday), meandering up through Norther NM for Thursday night, then from there to outside of Silverton on Friday. The camp spot on Friday will be on the map, so folks will be able to arrive whenever, or rally in Silverton on Saturday morning. Then loop (clockwise for schedule) camping between Lake City and Cinnamin Pass on Saturday night. Then, out on Hurricane Pass to Corkscrew Pass early-ish, so then likely across Ophir Pass (maybe some across Black Bear), through Telluride, and back along Imogene Sunday afternoon - camping Sunday night outside of Ouray on the lower elevation of Imogene.

That is the rough plan - if you haven't yet RSVP'd, please do so.

Ryan

Last edited:

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Wow. This would be a hell of a trip! Can't wait to see all the pictures, videos and to hear all about it.

TheBarefootFamily

Rank VII

Trail Mechanic III

Pueblo, Pueblo County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Berkenbile
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
If my schedule permits I would love to join for Silverton and the rest, considering a client is having health issue, I may be able to get up there with the Ox and family.

OB#3141
Experience is gained through hardships and the motivations to succeed.

Trailbound

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Thanks for the invite! Would love to go but most likely, I will be out of town. GREAT trip, have done most of those several times on motorcycle and truck. Its a trip to take if you've never seen it! Have fun.

Snoopy

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Charleston, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Holman
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy-Corpsman
I have a major work event on the 4th, but would be interested in heading down from Denver and meeting up with the group Saturday. I've sent the RSVP, but would love more info.

SoCOTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Monument, CO
Member #

Just to confirm- the meeting time and place is exactly as stated in the Rally Point correct? Just trying to figure out if I have to drive out on the 3rd to make the morning meet time on the 4th.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: DanR

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

We are going to have a meeting point in Silverton on the morning of the 4th for anyone that wants to join up. Brian (SF Bay Area member who is driving to Albuquerque on the 2nd) and I will be headed up on the 3rd and camping a little bit south of Silverton on the night of the 3rd - I will post a link to a Google Map that I am working on where we will be that night - if you come up on the 3rd and want to hook up with us at that camp prior to going to Silverton on the 4th, that would be great.

Which route are you taking to get there?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I have a major work event on the 4th, but would be interested in heading down from Denver and meeting up with the group Saturday. I've sent the RSVP, but would love more info.
The route will def allow for that - couple of options for you from Denver: best option for where we will be on Saturday morning is to get to Lake City sometime first half of Saturday. Our current plan is to pass through Lake City around Lunch on Saturday.

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

Here is a link to a Google Map for the trip:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DKIjJtMHF3Vf_6lwDrweAFPLRaQ&usp=sharing

JJM_AK89

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cripple Creek Colorado
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

I think I have those days off work and would be interested is joining the group if there is room for another person. Just moved to Colorado from Alaska and have been wanting to get out and do some exploring!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

I think I have those days off work and would be interested is joining the group if there is room for another person. Just moved to Colorado from Alaska and have been wanting to get out and do some exploring!

Definitely room and would love to have you - Alaska is on my bucket list, I'll have sooooo many questions to ask.

JJM_AK89

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cripple Creek Colorado
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Definitely room and would love to have you - Alaska is on my bucket list, I'll have sooooo many questions to ask.
Well I just talk to my wife and she is on board! We will be there!!

JJM_AK89

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Cripple Creek Colorado
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Awesome! Where in CO are you coming from?
I'm living in Cripple Creek Colorado. My plan is to drive to Silverton after I get off work on the 3rd and camp for the night. It's about a 5 and a half hour drive it says so I will probably get in kind of late. I may try to get the 3rd off so I can leave earlier in the day but I don't know if I will be able to or not. Did you say you guys were going to be in Silverton the evening of the 3rd?

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

We will be just south of Silverton on the night of the 3rd. You can find us there or in Silverton on the morning of the 4th. Which ever works.

Do you have a HAM radio?