Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

Hello everyone. I am located in a little town called Cumming, GA (north of ATL, almost in Northern Georgia). I wanted to start exposing my family to overlanding and camping and was wondering if anyone knew of any good overlanding/camp spots within where I am located. My wife and kids have never been camping so i wanted to ease them into it with starting out with 1 night then 2 nights eventually of camping and adventuring out. Any locations (probably a max of 2-3 hrs drive time) would be appreciated. Going to start with basic ground tent camping for now before i make an investment in a bed rack and RTT.

Reactions: masonlist

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Hello everyone. I am located in a little town called Cumming, GA (north of ATL, almost in Northern Georgia). I wanted to start exposing my family to overlanding and camping and was wondering if anyone knew of any good overlanding/camp spots within where I am located. My wife and kids have never been camping so i wanted to ease them into it with starting out with 1 night then 2 nights eventually of camping and adventuring out. Any locations (probably a max of 2-3 hrs drive time) would be appreciated. Going to start with basic ground tent camping for now before i make an investment in a bed rack and RTT.
we're 10+ hrs west of you, but go there a good bit and love the area. you are pretty close to amicalola state park which is pretty nice and has camp sites with heated bath houses which might be nice introducing the family to the outdoors with a few creature comforts and then then gradually getting more into boondocking. a few miles east of the falls is hwy 52 going to nimblewell and there is a dirt road called nimblewell that goes way back in the woods and has a few primative camp areas along the way. i went back thru there a few months ago in my lifted tundra with a cap on it and had a few tight areas to get under fallen trees, but it was a pretty fun drive and did require 4wd a good bit since it had rained. muddy and fun, but not too crazy.
we also go to the helen area and love it. vogel state park is awesome and there are a lot of hikes in the area and east of vogel on hwy 180 is an area with primative camping right on the creek....think its called sosebee. helen is nice for kids because they have a few amusement things in the area for them, tubing, and stuff like that. lots of great camping and hiking all around vogel and vogel also has nice heated bath houses so you can at least get a good hot shower before going to bed.

i have a thread with pics from our last trip there...

Fly_hippie

Rank III
Launch Member

Member II

Dawson County, GA, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Rose
Member #

David- I live near the Dawson county line. Let me know if you need some real time info. I've been running trails and camping N. Ga for 20 years.

Dvg350

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

we're 10+ hrs west of you, but go there a good bit and love the area. you are pretty close to amicalola state park which is pretty nice and has camp sites with heated bath houses which might be nice introducing the family to the outdoors with a few creature comforts and then then gradually getting more into boondocking. a few miles east of the falls is hwy 52 going to nimblewell and there is a dirt road called nimblewell that goes way back in the woods and has a few primative camp areas along the way. i went back thru there a few months ago in my lifted tundra with a cap on it and had a few tight areas to get under fallen trees, but it was a pretty fun drive and did require 4wd a good bit since it had rained. muddy and fun, but not too crazy.
we also go to the helen area and love it. vogel state park is awesome and there are a lot of hikes in the area and east of vogel on hwy 180 is an area with primative camping right on the creek....think its called sosebee. helen is nice for kids because they have a few amusement things in the area for them, tubing, and stuff like that. lots of great camping and hiking all around vogel and vogel also has nice heated bath houses so you can at least get a good hot shower before going to bed.

i have a thread with pics from our last trip there...
Thank You very much for the info and just finished looking through your thread with the pics you had. Y'all looked like you had a blast and cant wait to try out that route.

Reactions: grubworm

Dvg350

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Cumming, GA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Garcia
Member #

David- I live near the Dawson county line. Let me know if you need some real time info. I've been running trails and camping N. Ga for 20 years.
Sounds great. once i get everyone situated as well as a couple base supplies, i will definitely come back around to you for some Q and A.

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Corbin Creek close to Tray Mountain is another good road with lots of camping spots to choose from.IMG_0237.JPEG

Reactions: Dvg350 and grubworm