North Carolina

• HTML tutorial

OverlandExploder

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Clemson, South Carolina
Member #

Hello all! New OB member here and I'm located in Charlotte, NC. I do not have Facebook, so I'm going to be relying on the Forum as a way to keep up with other members and upcoming trips.

I am a COMPLETE novice, I have zero experience once I get off the pavement. I am most interested in trips that lead to breath-taking scenery and/or amazing overlooks. Of course I would enjoy the journey along the way, but I feel I would enjoy the destination more.

I am not set up to do any kind of hard-core off-roading, as my vehicle of choice is a 2016 Jeep Patriot, 75th Anniversary Edition. I enjoy the "jack of all trades, master of none" character that it has and I feel it complements me very well.

Feel free to message me if you'd like!

DRP
I'm in Fort Mill, just spitting distance from Charlotte. I know of a few basic trails around here and Rock Hill that could help you get your feet wet if your interested. Nothing crazy and things that I did before I knew anything too. Welcome aboard!!!!

OB #2459

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

No like someone else stated it's mostly private property there but there's some good open spots near there in the psgah national Forest. If you need I could probably shoot you some locations we have used that are nice for vehicles. Just let me know and I can pm you the locations from gaia gps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome! Thanks. I'll be sure to hit you up when I head up that way again

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

I've already asked off and I am going to this event. Would love to have some people from this OB forum meet out there for this event. It would really help to meet everyone on here so it'll be easier to plan more NC OB meet ups in the future. Not much info of what is going to be going on yet but you can search the event in Facebook to keep up with it. Hope to see Ya'll out there.

Sent from my XT1650 using OB Talk mobile app

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

Hello all! New OB member here and I'm located in Charlotte, NC. I do not have Facebook, so I'm going to be relying on the Forum as a way to keep up with other members and upcoming trips.

I am a COMPLETE novice, I have zero experience once I get off the pavement. I am most interested in trips that lead to breath-taking scenery and/or amazing overlooks. Of course I would enjoy the journey along the way, but I feel I would enjoy the destination more.

I am not set up to do any kind of hard-core off-roading, as my vehicle of choice is a 2016 Jeep Patriot, 75th Anniversary Edition. I enjoy the "jack of all trades, master of none" character that it has and I feel it complements me very well.

Feel free to message me if you'd like!

DRP
Welcome to OB!
I am in Matthews so its nice to see more CLT people. Brown Mountain has some great trail for beginners. You will get your scenic views you are looking for as well.

Reactions: OverlandExploder

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Hey guys and gals! Let me know if you want to set an official meet and greet location/time/date. Private message me and I will send a direct message to everyone in the surrounding area inviting them to the meet up. I'll also create an event on the forums event calendar as well as an event in the Southeast Region Facebook group.

dreadpiratejeff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bear Creek NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
L
Member #

I have noticed there are a couple state specific OB chapters on Facebook. Is there a NC one already? If not, I'd like to start one. I was thinking about it on the way to work and I am able and willing to get something going. Again, assuming there isn't one already.

I have access to a big gravel parking lot that could serve as a meet up spot that is easily accessible for members around and outside of Charlotte for get togethers. (less than a mile from were I-485 & Highway 74 intersect) It's also pretty close to upstate SC as well.

If there is a thread already about this feel free to point me in that direction.

Thanks,
John
I might be interested, but not in CLT. I am over closer to Raleigh. I have a group of Jeep KL members I meet up with here though.

OB #7432 RHEC

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

Welcome to OB!
I am in Matthews so its nice to see more CLT people. Brown Mountain has some great trail for beginners. You will get your scenic views you are looking for as well.
Hey Trooper! Im in Union County. I am going to the Morganton area on Monday and looking for some Novice trails that I could also camp at, I see you said Brown Mountain is good for Novice trails, I have a stock '11 Xterra Pro4x. Any ideas? Thanks brother!!

If anyone else has any areas, feel free to chime in!! Looking for easier trails, good views, and access to secluded camping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ingle939

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

Hey Trooper! Im in Union County. I am going to the Morganton area on Monday and looking for some Novice trails that I could also camp at, I see you said Brown Mountain is good for Novice trails, I have a stock '11 Xterra Pro4x. Any ideas? Thanks brother!!

If anyone else has any areas, feel free to chime in!! Looking for easier trails, good views, and access to secluded camping.
just running some of the fire roads and back roads will be fun. Edgemont/Mortimer is the middle of the area. you will pass Brown Mountain OHV area heading toward the Mortimer area. Stop at an OHV permit station and ask for maps and advice.

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU

There's a lot of good trails and camping spots I'm free Monday if you want a 2nd to go with for the day also I have alot of the camping spots mapped out I could show you

kopper99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor III

Indian Trail, NC, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Klemas
Member #

There's a lot of good trails and camping spots I'm free Monday if you want a 2nd to go with for the day also I have alot of the camping spots mapped out I could show you
So me and the woman will be going to Old NC 105. Got any good camp spots up there? Well be up there Monday afternoon and leaving Tuesday around lunchtime

Ingle939

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Plant city Fl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4AYU
So me and the woman will be going to Old NC 105. Got any good camp spots up there? Well be up there Monday afternoon and leaving Tuesday around lunchtime
Yes 105 has a lot of camp spots here is a map of the ones I've scouted out there are more than I have flagged I've only marked the ones I can get into with my trailer IMG_0038.PNG

Ryan Matthes

OB Ambassador
Supporter +
Investor

Explorer I

Chapel Hill, NC
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Matthes
Member #

this thread makes me miss living in NC...badly. Went to High School in Asheville, college in Chapel Hill, lived in Wilmington after that - love NC and all the outdoor recreation there is there.

Spent a ton of time at Uwharrie - great resource for folks that live in proximity to there, but nothing (at least in the mid-Atlantic) the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Reactions: kopper99

NC-Trooper

US SouthEast Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member III

Charlotte
First Name
John
Last Name
Holland
Member #

You'll be good. I came across a stock Xterra while I was there. He was living it up!

Just a heads up. Some of the rocks are a little deceiving on the cutback part of Trail #1 and Trail #8. The map says it's the easiest but it's not. The trees are tight too at a small portion of it.

Then again I had a bad spotter (aka my idiot brother in law)

Member #4197

Reactions: kopper99