Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I have been looking at awnings for some time now there are so many to choose from.

I have seen awnings on trips that folded up like a taco from even a slight wind and many provided elusive to little shade. Some of the larger 270-degree units were either very weak or very expensive or both. I believe quality and good engineering are very important. I also did not want to pay too much money yet I do believe in “You get what you pay for” With several months of studying different types of awnings and visiting the Overland expo in Flagstaff and getting to see in person many of the offerings available. Manufacturers, pricing, quality and of course what fits my needs best went into my decision.

I came across a thread here on Overland Bound about awnings and someone mentioned a Nomadic 270-degree awning from Overland vehicle systems after asking the owner a million questions and hearing the right answers I decided to give the Nomadic 270-degree awning from Overland vehicle systems a try. It sells for $750 plus I decided to get the awning wall 1 for an extra $239 but the total was still under $1,000 shipped to my door. They have FREE shipping...

69220512_10157677668421738_1071609909608448000_n.jpg
19519907 OVS Nomadic Awning 270 - Dark Gray Cover With Black Cover Universal
Installation was easy with heavy duty L-brackets and U-bolts supplied in the kit. They will easily fit most 1 1/2 inch or smaller cross bars. In my installation I used the L-brackets and drilled through my 3-inch-wide cross bars for a very solid mount. While working on it I learned something new about my Tahoe rack mount... They are NOT level the rear is 3/4 inch higher. I made my homemade cross overs months ago for my canoe but after measuring my side rail I found the rear is much lower. So, I made up a third crossover for mounting the awning 3/4 in. higher so the awning would be level with the ground. You can see in this photo the rear section has a much larger gap. My crossovers are wing shaped and too wide for the U clamps supplied with the awning. The L brackets are around a 1/4 inch thick.

rails.jpeg

The arms are very strong with clean welds and stainless hardware throughout it is a well-designed unit. Canvas is heavy and blocks all the sun, so you won’t feel much if any heat coming through it. This canvas is heavy duty so, I expect it to last a long time. The stakes look like very large nails with a plastic bar on top to hold the rope a lot like the heavy stakes you pay a buck or more for. Poles are strong screw adjustable yet very light weight.

The canvas is held in place on the rafters with large canvas straps you can see them in the photo below those straps also hold three support poles in place when they are not in use.

20190901_171819.jpg

Opening it is fast and easy it takes about 15 minutes to open set three poles in place install wall1 and stake it out. The following is with awning wall 1 with the first section staked out with poles and side door opened up.
20190901_171703.jpg
Pros; Strong, lots of shade, versatile, affordable, Right or Left side units are available, three wall sections available, ropes have reflective stripes in them with quick adjustments.

Cons; It takes a little more time and effort to get it stored away than it should. I would like to see them extend the length of the retaining straps so tightening them would be easier and making the outer cover slightly looser in the front so it might be easier to zip it up. Three outer walls cost almost as much as the awning.

I suggested they make another inner wall for this to section off part of it for more privacy. I highly recommend the Nomadic 270 degree awning it is a very good and usable product. It was certainly a hit with other members of Reno Overland bound.

Last edited:

p8ntbill2

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Lake, MI, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Burley
Member #

Service Branch
Navy
Question: how do you think it will hold up in hard rain and wind.
Thank you,
Bill

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
Question: how do you think it will hold up in hard rain and wind.
Thank you,
Bill
I assume for comparison it is guy wired down like all awning mfg.s recommend. I have had it up with at least 30+ mph wind gusts here in the desert and rain has no chance of going through this top or the side walls. I think you might even stay pretty dry with driving wind and rain hitting the side walls.

The material is at least 4 or more times thicker than any tent I have owned. I have been in tents with a Florida Rain storm and 30 mph winds and I think this would hold up just fine. The top on this makes a trasheroo feel real thin plus it has a waterproof coating that makes it even more durable.

The sun or much of the heat from the sun do not come through this material with the side walls up it actually gets pretty dark in there.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I have been looking at awnings for some time now there are so many to choose from.

I have seen awnings on trips that folded up like a taco from even a slight wind and many provided elusive to little shade. Some of the larger 270-degree units were either very weak or very expensive or both. I believe quality and good engineering are very important. I also did not want to pay too much money yet I do believe in “You get what you pay for” With several months of studying different types of awnings and visiting the Overland expo in Flagstaff and getting to see in person many of the offerings available. Manufacturers, pricing, quality and of course what fits my needs best went into my decision.

I came across a thread here on Overland Bound about awnings and someone mentioned a Nomadic 270-degree awning from Overland vehicle systems after asking the owner a million questions and hearing the right answers I decided to give the Nomadic 270-degree awning from Overland vehicle systems a try. It sells for $750 + $239 for awning wall 1 under $1,000 shipped to your door.

View attachment 116020
Installation was easy with heavy duty L-brackets and U-bolts supplied in the kit. They will easily fit most 1 1/2 inch or smaller cross bars. In my installation I used the L-brackets and drilled through my 3-inch-wide cross bars for a very solid mount. While working on it I learned something new about my Tahoe rack mount... They are NOT level the rear is 3/4 inch higher. I made my homemade cross overs months ago for my canoe but after measuring my side rail I found the rear is much lower. So, I made up a third crossover for mounting the awning 3/4 in. higher so the awning would be level with the ground. You can see in this photo the rear section has a much larger gap. My crossovers are wing shaped and too wide for the U clamps supplied with the awning. The L brackets are around a 1/4 inch thick.

View attachment 116021

The arms are very strong with clean welds and stainless hardware throughout it is a well-designed unit. Canvas is heavy and blocks all the sun, so you won’t feel much if any heat coming through it. This canvas is heavy duty so, I expect it to last a long time. The stakes look like very large nails with a plastic bar on top to hold the rope a lot like the heavy stakes you pay a buck or more for. Poles are strong screw adjustable yet very light weight.

The canvas is held in place on the rafters with large canvas straps you can see them in the photo below those straps also hold three support poles in place when they are not in use.

View attachment 116022

Opening it is fast and easy it takes about 15 minutes to open set three poles in place install wall1 and stake it out. The following is with awning wall 1 with the first section staked out with poles and side door opened up.
View attachment 116023
Pros; Strong, lots of shade, versatile, affordable, Right or Left side units are available, three wall sections available, ropes have reflective stripes in them with quick adjustments.

Cons; It takes a little more time and effort to get it stored away than it should. I would like to see them extend the length of the retaining straps so tightening them would be easier and making the outer cover slightly looser in the front so it might be easier to zip it up. Three outer walls cost almost as much as the awning.

I suggested they make another inner wall for this to section off part of it for more privacy. I highly recommend the Nomadic 270 degree awning it is a very good and usable product. It was certainly a hit with other members of Reno Overland bound.
@THorner

Reactions: THorner

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I came across a thread here on Overland Bound about awnings and someone mentioned a Nomadic 270-degree awning from Overland vehicle systems after asking the owner a million questions and hearing the right answers I decided to give the Nomadic 270-degree awning from Overland vehicle systems a try. It sells for $750 + $239 for awning wall 1 under $1,000 shipped to your door.

View attachment 116020

View attachment 116021

View attachment 116022

View attachment 116023

I've been looking at this awning as well. You're the third person that really like its...might be time to pull the trigger and buy it

Reactions: THorner

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I've been looking at this awning as well. You're the third person that really like its...might be time to pull the trigger and buy it
I spoke with the owner and he reassured me they stand behind their product. I hope I never have to put that to the test though... lol

I had to raise mine to clear the rear door and I pull the front tensioner tight first and now it is out of the way enough I can get under it without hitting my head. Opening the window is not a problem so if I want to leave the back window open while sleeping to get more air I don't have to worry about rain.

Reactions: JButtress

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

JButtress flagged me on this thread. I have been looking at this awning also. Quick question, what is the distance between the slots for the T-bolts on the back plate of the awning? I have ARB awning brackets on my GOBI rack and am wondering if I can reuse them.
Thanks, Tom

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
JButtress flagged me on this thread. I have been looking at this awning also. Quick question, what is the distance between the slots for the T-bolts on the back plate of the awning? I have ARB awning brackets on my GOBI rack and am wondering if I can reuse them.
Thanks, Tom
So are mounting brackets not included?

I also am interested in this awning. What would it take to get a group buy going?

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Just checked their website and found the following, "What’s included: 270 Degree Awning With 6 Built-In Aluminum Rafters , 3 Pivoting & Telescoping Aluminum Poles + 3 Telescoping Aluminum Poles, 6 Sets of Shock Cord, 6 Heavy Duty Stakes, Travel Cover, 3 Heavy Duty Mounting Brackets and Hardware, Nylon Reinforced Tie Down Kit." Just couldn't find the mounting dimensions on the T-bolts.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Just checked their website and found the following, "What’s included: 270 Degree Awning With 6 Built-In Aluminum Rafters , 3 Pivoting & Telescoping Aluminum Poles + 3 Telescoping Aluminum Poles, 6 Sets of Shock Cord, 6 Heavy Duty Stakes, Travel Cover, 3 Heavy Duty Mounting Brackets and Hardware, Nylon Reinforced Tie Down Kit." Just couldn't find the mounting dimensions on the T-bolts.
I was gunna look that up but got side tracked. Thanks for doing that.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I hope these measurements will help. Photo one it will fit a bar up to 1.378 inches wide.
Photo two the slots are 1.564 just subtract the diameter of your bolt to get the distance on center.

20190924_123839.jpeg20190924_123910.jpeg

Span on the slots is 5.497 inches the on center measurement would be less the diameter of your bolt.
Bracket width is 2.769 inches.
20190924_123938.jpeg20190924_124002.jpeg

Since my cross bars are wider I opted to drill through the cross bar and use the center holes. I used carriage bolts so I can still mount my canoe on top.

20190924_124045.jpeg

Last edited:

Hailo

Rank 0

Contributor I

Eastvale, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
DePhillips
this is exactly what I was looking for...thank you for posting.
the beautiful thing is...there only about an hour from me.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
this is exactly what I was looking for...thank you for posting.
the beautiful thing is...there only about an hour from me.
If your gunna go get one would you be willing to inquire about a group buy discount?

RedClay

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Townsend, Georgia, United States
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Mahaffey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRWH971
I'm interested! Funny, I was just looking at what 270 I was going to get for my new rig and ran across the OVS Nomadic. I really like that it extends further out from the rear of the vehicle since that is where we cook (Gladiator). I do have a pretty tall vehicle. Did I see somewhere that the poles extend to 100"?

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Hi this is Sean from Overland Vehicles Systems and we're finally back in stock and could accommodate a group. Please call us at our office if anybody is still interested.
Hi Sean,

Super cool that you would offer a group buy!
I am also interested.
Would you be able to provide the needed group size and what the pricing would be and what would be included?