Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
When in the pine barrens etc is anyone monitoring VHF or GMRS? Is anyone hitting a repeater out there?
VHF is for marine use only and can't be used from a vehicle. I haven't tried to tap into a repeater on GMRS though.
What do you mean can’t be used from a vehicle? I think I misunderstood.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

It's for marine use only. You aren't supposed to use VHF radio anywhere on land. This is from BoatUS
Marine VHF radios, whether fixed or handheld, may not be used on land, period. It's the law. Once a VHF radio goes ashore, it cannot be used for marine band transmission (without a Coast Station License).

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
It's for marine use only. You aren't supposed to use VHF radio anywhere on land. This is from BoatUS
Marine VHF radios, whether fixed or handheld, may not be used on land, period. It's the law. Once a VHF radio goes ashore, it cannot be used for marine band transmission (without a Coast Station License).
Ham 2m band*

Or if there’s a 70cm or GMRS repeater anyone uses in the area

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
I hurt watched a YouTube video of someone driving around Colliers Mills. I also saw in the comments some debate of the legality of driving in some of the areas shown in the video. So I thought over here would be the best place to go for info on overlanding in NJ.

Is the sandy area west of Jackson Quarry legal?

What is the status of St. Mary’s Ave? What I could find from google street view is signs saying no digging, but I couldn’t verify if it is a legal place to drive on. Looks like it would be a cool track.

I am also curious about Kerns Ave, Jones rd, Bryant rd...basically all the dirt roads around the Pasadena Wildlife area.

There are a lot of cool parts of the TNJT but I figured it would be good to establish which parts of NJ are also good to explore and which ones to stay off of to keep us out of trouble

Does anyone have any intel? Any recommendations or suggestions?

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Xplorr313 is probably best to answer since he's diligent about keeping the route legal
I was inquiring about roads around the pine barrens not part of the TNJT. There is a thread on here specifically for the TNJT, I kinda assumed this one here would be for all things NJ that aren’t TNJT. Help me out if I’m wrong

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I was inquiring about roads around the pine barrens not part of the TNJT. There is a thread on here specifically for the TNJT, I kinda assumed this one here would be for all things NJ that aren’t TNJT. Help me out if I’m wrong
It's legal if it's on a map. All usual laws apply. If you obtain a map from the ranger station it will show all legal roads to drive on. Those side my holes and smalls bodies of water are usually marked as no trespassing.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
It's legal if it's on a map. All usual laws apply. If you obtain a map from the ranger station it will show all legal roads to drive on. Those side my holes and smalls bodies of water are usually marked as no trespassing.
That’s pretty brilliant, next time down there I will pick up a map from a ranger station. Thank you

Scubaru_Andy

Rank II

Contributor III

Langhorne, PA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bowles
Member #

Ham 2m band*

Or if there’s a 70cm or GMRS repeater anyone uses in the area
Hey Dustin, Repeaterbook.com shows a few 70cm and 2m Band repeaters. mygmrs.com maps out a few (mostly closed) GMRS repeaters, I've "hunted" a few that seem to have coverage in the northwest part of the pines (Fort Dix, Coilers mills etc). I've wanted to try out reception farther south and see if there's any others not mapped. Repeater owners on GMRS tend to be touchy about someone else using their repeaters without permission so use it sparingly.

Around the pines we tend to use Ch16 on GMRS. Ch20 is the unofficial calling/hailing channel as well.

Attachments

Scubaru_Andy

Rank II

Contributor III

Langhorne, PA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bowles
Member #

@Scubaru_Andy thank you so much! Do you have any repeaters you recommend monitoring in the area?

I noticed that about GMRS repeater owners, I don’t get it and I wonder why they are all like that
I don't find monitoring repeaters regularly useful. Lots of old dudes talking about their last prostate exam and political conspiracy theories.. I'm also not a HAM (thanks covid)

GMRS repeater owners built their thing and they want to be the gate keeper of it... maybe they want to keep it just for family or they want to charge money for use. Cant blame them for charging money, if its a legit repeater they've spent some money to get it installed on a tower.

It would be pretty neat to get the various off road clubs in NJ on the same page and maybe fund a repeater or two. But simplex seems to get the job done for group rides.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Scubaru_Andy thank you so much! Do you have any repeaters you recommend monitoring in the area?

I noticed that about GMRS repeater owners, I don’t get it and I wonder why they are all like that
I don't find monitoring repeaters regularly useful. Lots of old dudes talking about their last prostate exam and political conspiracy theories.. I'm also not a HAM (thanks covid)

GMRS repeater owners built their thing and they want to be the gate keeper of it... maybe they want to keep it just for family or they want to charge money for use. Cant blame them for charging money, if its a legit repeater they've spent some money to get it installed on a tower.

It would be pretty neat to get the various off road clubs in NJ on the same page and maybe fund a repeater or two. But simplex seems to get the job done for group rides.
Lol you perfectly summed up my favourite repeater to listen to.
The area around me still had tests going on during the lockdowns, ham radio is much better with a license.
There’s a few reasons I like to monitor a repeater when out and about in the woods...which all basically stem from me basically always being solo I guess

B-rizzle

Rank III

Member III

Suffern, NY, USA
First Name
brenton
Last Name
myers
Member #

New to overlanding and I am interested in anything going on in the North Jersey area. I am a Complete rookie. I dirt biked when I was younger in NC and AZ areas, I've hiked many places been outdoors alot but never did the camping with the vehicle and I am older now and think I would appreciate this style camping more. And would be a gateway for the wife and kids. So back to the topic any good weekend overlanding north NJ?