Six sons

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Dirty Jerzee
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Gonthor
Hello Brenton and a warm welcome from a fellow NJ Overlander.
IMHO there is nothing really in north Jersey except perhaps Stokes, Worthington and High point State forest but that would not include much off roading options. They have some really nce camping options and places to visit. Buttermilk Falls near Stokes. Drive from there down Old Mine Rd. to Worthington for Deleware river and the Deleware water gap. Hike up the AY to Sunfish pond.

I would say Pine Barrens near Wharton State forest is the only area with camping and fire road style off-roading in NJ.

If you venture a bit north or west there are better options. Vermont has a huge expanse of class 4 roads that are all legal to drive 4x4 vehicles on. They are unmaintained dirt roads that you can find maps for on the internet WWW.Wheretowheel.com From Suffern NY you can be there in a couple of hours. Traveling that area is really nice. you can enter class 4 road in one town and exit in another onto pavement. Grab a lunch/beverage and link onto another CL4 road. There are some things you have to be prepared for when traveling on these roads. They are unmaintained and often have fallen trees blocking your progress, think axe & chainsaw. It is mostly not for stock 4x4, the novice or solo traveler. You could encounter challenging obstacles that do not have a bypass and could need a winch in many spots. Must be self reliant for recovery. Camping would be either state run or private campgrounds.

PA is nice out by Bald Eagle State forest and State College area. A company called Purple Lizard Maps has a bunch of maps of that area and it includes camping info as well as 4x4 trails and points of interest. These too are more fire road type trails that are not too technical except perhaps for completely unmodified 4x4 vehicles.

If you are looking for an off road park that you can drive your vehicle on. Rousch Creek or Anthracite in PA are I believe the closest option to you.

Hope that helps..
20150829_132527.jpg

B-rizzle

Rank III

Member III

Suffern, NY, USA
First Name
brenton
Last Name
myers
Member #

Hello Brenton and a warm welcome from a fellow NJ Overlander.
IMHO there is nothing really in north Jersey except perhaps Stokes, Worthington and High point State forest but that would not include much off roading options. They have some really nce camping options and places to visit. Buttermilk Falls near Stokes. Drive from there down Old Mine Rd. to Worthington for Deleware river and the Deleware water gap. Hike up the AY to Sunfish pond.

I would say Pine Barrens near Wharton State forest is the only area with camping and fire road style off-roading in NJ.

If you venture a bit north or west there are better options. Vermont has a huge expanse of class 4 roads that are all legal to drive 4x4 vehicles on. They are unmaintained dirt roads that you can find maps for on the internet WWW.Wheretowheel.com From Suffern NY you can be there in a couple of hours. Traveling that area is really nice. you can enter class 4 road in one town and exit in another onto pavement. Grab a lunch/beverage and link onto another CL4 road. There are some things you have to be prepared for when traveling on these roads. They are unmaintained and often have fallen trees blocking your progress, think axe & chainsaw. It is mostly not for stock 4x4, the novice or solo traveler. You could encounter challenging obstacles that do not have a bypass and could need a winch in many spots. Must be self reliant for recovery. Camping would be either state run or private campgrounds.

PA is nice out by Bald Eagle State forest and State College area. A company called Purple Lizard Maps has a bunch of maps of that area and it includes camping info as well as 4x4 trails and points of interest. These too are more fire road type trails that are not too technical except perhaps for completely unmodified 4x4 vehicles.

If you are looking for an off road park that you can drive your vehicle on. Rousch Creek or Anthracite in PA are I believe the closest option to you.

Hope that helps..
View attachment 194292
Hi Six Sons,
This helps a bunch. Thank you for this information. Next long weekend I get and can convince the wife to camp. I'm going to check out Vermont.

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

Holland, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

This great guys. Let’s definitely do rigs and coffee when we’re allowed lol. Monmouth County here and I have a couple spots here and down in stafford twp. Let’s get some meetups planned. If you guys are bored during quarantine, I’m making a YouTube video every Friday. All Jeep/Overland stuff.
Post a link. I'm filming a "Dude I hate / Love my ride" for TFL truck this weekend. Not really something I would do, but yes..bored.
I own a coffee shop in Flemington, we can meet up and then hit a trail

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

Holland, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

I own a coffee shop in Flemington, we can meet up and then hit a trail
Send a PM of the coffee shop address to me. My wife and I drive through Flemington during our visit to the Delaware Water Gap for Fall Foliage (arriving soon).
Factory Fuel Coffee In Flemington! Let me know! Coffees on Me!