Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

It's been in production longer than almost anything on the road, I would think aftermarket and parts will be plentiful for many, many years.

I like 'em...
Great point...it just feels different going against the mainstream of Toyota and Jeep. I think that’s where I have most of my hesitation. They are popular for a reason, and I just want to make sure I make the right decision For my next purchase. Thx for your insight!

Reactions: alexdnick

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

Still deliberating...I drove a 4 runner recently and think I may have found what I want

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

A big plus for the frontier is they have been running the same motor and transmission combo since 2006 sure it’s not as sophisticated as some of the newer systems are but I think that’s a huge plus to have something a bit more simple and proven after years of performance. Plus to me it feels more like an actual midsize truck most every other midsize truck is the size of a full-size pick up . Personally if I was putting one together I would put an airlocker in the front before I wasted my time with a lift , Not only will it strengthen the front end but added traction will get you further than bigger tires will. And with as most vehicles you can do a little bit of trimming to plastic and metal to fit more tire rather than spending money on a lift.

Reactions: Lockitdown

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

Just an update on my rig choice...I finally decided to buy an older vehicle and bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I figured this would be a good way to modify what I want, inexpensively, and it allows me a chance to work on it as well, given they are fairly simply designed. Hopefully I made a good choice! so far I have been loving it. I'll be upgrading the suspension and bumpers here shortly so I'll post some pics when I have it all completed. I've been driving it in the AZ heat 110 degree plus weather and it has held steady at 210-215 no issues!

Reactions: The other Sean

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Just an update on my rig choice...I finally decided to buy an older vehicle and bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I figured this would be a good way to modify what I want, inexpensively, and it allows me a chance to work on it as well, given they are fairly simply designed. Hopefully I made a good choice! so far I have been loving it. I'll be upgrading the suspension and bumpers here shortly so I'll post some pics when I have it all completed. I've been driving it in the AZ heat 110 degree plus weather and it has held steady at 210-215 no issues!
Nice man! Upload pics when you get a chance.

I've been drooling over the XJ's since Matt's Offroad Recovery has become really popular on Youtube. I am also a Frontier owner, love my truck.

Eric Sherrill

Rank 0

Contributor II

Morganton, NC, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Sherrill
I have a 2019 Frontier SV lift is a 3" on front 11/2" on rear, Bilistean 5100`s all the way around, 285 70 R17 BAG NO 2`s , ARB Deluxe Bull Bar Front bumper with a Warren Evo S8 8000# winch, SPC upper A ARMS , and a LEER top with Tulle roof rack. The gas mileage did drop 3-4 mpg, but with the added weight and bigger tires it's going to. The biggest problem I have run into is finding after market part manufacturers, you have to dig real deep to find them .... the lift kit is supreme suspension, these are solid. Milled out of billet aluminum... can't go wrong there

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I'm not a Frontier/X expert, but it seems like they are a LOT of bang-for-your-buck in the used market if you get the right options (like the Pro-X4 you want). Everybody talks about Tacomas like they're the most reliable things ever created, and never have issues. The truth is, everybody I know with Tacos *have* had issues and had to fix them. The difference is that Tacos hold value SO well that it's always worth the $ to fix them, which is why it seems like every Taco ever made is still on the road. I know it's just my opinion, and I know others will disagree, but it's just what I've seen.

-TJ

RickR

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler II

San Antonio, Texas
First Name
Rick
Last Name
R
Member #

I have owned many Nissans, as my brother-in-law sells them, and I can say that the Frontiers are good, and unlike the Tacomas they come with 4 wheel disc break standard. I have owned 2, a 2000 and a 2017 4x4 and both were very reliable.

Last edited:

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Yeah I can't get enough of Matt's Offroad recovery videos...They are awesome
My wife give me a hard time for how much I watch his videos. I swear they're addicting!
Congrats on the XJ! I think nothing looks more like a cliche modern family camping vehicle than that... which is why I want a late model green one so bad. lol Maybe one day.

I'm actually surprised you went that route. It's quite different compared to a New Truck. At least you still went with a tried and true engine! What forced the hand?

Also x2 on pics.

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

I think it was the amount of aftermarket support you could get and the ability to switch up my style of offroading from overlanding to rock crawling if I wanted to without it costing too much. I figured that since the barrier to entry was low on the XJ's that even if i did make a mistake I wouldn't be out that much money!? I'm also not that great at DIY so this was a great platform to begin with, given the abundance of youtube videos and the like on how to's...on another note when I watched how Matt configured his XJ for his walk around episode, I realized that you could do pretty much anything you wanted on these jeeps...although I won't go to the extremes he has gone, I sure admire anyone who can just fabricate their way to an offroad vehicle...very impressive!