Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

I am considering purchasing a Nissan Frontier Pro4x. Am I crazy?...are they reliable like tacomas? I've only owned Toyota's and Honda's so this is a departure from what I'm used to. I really loved the recent Destination Frontier build I saw at the Overland Expo West. I'm looking for honest opinions...good and honest preferred. thanks!

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I am considering purchasing a Nissan Frontier Pro4x. Am I crazy?...are they reliable like tacomas? I've only owned Toyota's and Honda's so this is a departure from what I'm used to. I really loved the recent Destination Frontier build I saw at the Overland Expo West. I'm looking for honest opinions...good and honest preferred. thanks!
If you’re buying a newer vehicle no matter what you buy as long as you take care of it, it will last you as long as you need it.

Read the most recent JD power reliability studies. It will tell you what you need to know. Not the bias that everyone online has towards their specific make/model

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

Good point on the JD power review...If I don't intend to rock crawl will the NISSTEC aftermarket support be reasonably ok for my needs? thinking mojave road, broken arrow trail are the max levels I would ever do. I want it to be a destination mobile to see North America with...

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Good point on the JD power review...If I don't intend to rock crawl will the NISSTEC aftermarket support be reasonably ok for my needs? thinking mojave road, broken arrow trail are the max levels I would ever do. I want it to be a destination mobile to see North America with...
I haven’t been to those locations and don’t have a Nissan so I could be wrong, but it seems like the. NISSTEC has most of what you’d need

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The newer Nissans have come along way. The older Nissans were not that impressive to me compared to Toyota and Hondas.

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

Agreed...it's so hard to pass up the value, in my opinion, that a pro4x offers price wise. However I still don't want to make an uninformed or unwise decision either...

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Another consideration for me would be the availability of aftermarket parts/mods.

Kelly Blue Book also has some good info as well.

thallibu

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, Ar
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Halliburton
I'm on my 2nd Frontier and cannot say enough good things about them. They have their quirks, no doubt, but having 2 friends with Taco's I'd say they are quite similar. And it's nice having something a little different

Reactions: Graeman

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

very cool...have you modified yours to any extent or kept it primarily stock?

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

awesome rig! Do you find the 2 inch lift is ample or would you recommend a 3 inch or larger lift? Are you running 33" tires ?

thallibu

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, Ar
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Halliburton
Thanks!
For general use, no rock crawling or anything, 2-3 inches are plenty in my opinion. It's still a DD so didn't want anything too crazy. I'm running BFG Ko2's in the stock 265/75/16 size, I could run a little larger tire if needed though

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

Good to know there is room to run larger tires if needed...do you find that gas mileage gets about the same as the factory of 21 mpg/hwy or worse? No rock crawling here either...I would rather drive and explore moderate off road trails nothing too extreme

thallibu

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fayetteville, Ar
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Halliburton
As of now I average around 15.5, all the extras add up on weight...
I would advise to look at post 2007 year models, they seemed to have would out most of the kinks by then. The Pro4-x/NISMO also had a factory e-locker that is nice too

Lockitdown

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Chandler AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
ONeill
Member #

As of now I average around 15.5, all the extras add up on weight...
I would advise to look at post 2007 year models, they seemed to have would out most of the kinks by then. The Pro4-x/NISMO also had a factory e-locker that is nice too
Makes sense, and I appreciate the info!