• HTML tutorial

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Hey all!

I am in the process of building my daily into a proper overlander. It will be slow going, but hopefully can make some serious progress over this winter.

My most recent addition is the bull bar and the offroad light. I ran out of time last night, but planning on getting it all wired up and adjusted tonight! bullb.jpg

CaseyW

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

Nice truck. I had a '09 Xterra and put 75k miles on it - loved it. Just wanted to share a "gotcha" that I was able to avoid - check in on the tranny cooler/radiator issue. This is where the tranny fluid going to the cooler can get mixed with the engine coolant by a faulty connection in the bottom of the radiator and create what they call the SMOD "Strawberry Milkshake of Death" inside your tranny. It's a nasty situation if you are over 75k or so miles as you won't be covered. The fix is a new radiator, on your dime, but you wont have to worry about a getting a new tranny.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Nice truck. I had a '09 Xterra and put 75k miles on it - loved it. Just wanted to share a "gotcha" that I was able to avoid - check in on the tranny cooler/radiator issue. This is where the tranny fluid going to the cooler can get mixed with the engine coolant by a faulty connection in the bottom of the radiator and create what they call the SMOD "Strawberry Milkshake of Death" inside your tranny. It's a nasty situation if you are over 75k or so miles as you won't be covered. The fix is a new radiator, on your dime, but you wont have to worry about a getting a new tranny.
Congrats on the new Frontier! I'm a pseudo-experienced Xterra owner (basically a Frontier without the truck bed), so let me know if you have any questions.

The SMOD issue was remedied in 2011, so you won't have any issues with that. Don't worry about having to replace you factory radiator.

Reactions: CaseyW

Bjorn

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Somerset. United Kingdom
First Name
Bjorn
Last Name
Whistance
Member #

Hey all!

I am in the process of building my daily into a proper overlander. It will be slow going, but hopefully can make some serious progress over this winter.

My most recent addition is the bull bar and the offroad light. I ran out of time last night, but planning on getting it all wired up and adjusted
Looks god

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Looking forward to seeing your build and I really like the Pro-4X. What plans do you have?
Looking forward to seeing your build and I really like the Pro-4X. What plans do you have?
Hey JFAZ!

Thanks! In the near future I am putting on some step bars, a light on the roof rack, and a CB radio(?). I hope to put a small lift in, with some wheels and tires more suitable for off-roading. I'd also like to fabricate some type of storage in the box, but am also considering a box tent. I have some other small stuff on the list, but those are the major improvements.

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Thanks Casey W!

I'll keep an eye on it! Definitely want to avoid a major issue like that!

Remington_PRO4X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Verona, WI
Member #

Congrats on the new Frontier! I'm a pseudo-experienced Xterra owner (basically a Frontier without the truck bed), so let me know if you have any questions.

The SMOD issue was remedied in 2011, so you won't have any issues with that. Don't worry about having to replace you factory radiator.
Cool Thanks JhBerria! I'll shoot you a message if I run into anything. Any major performance upgrades you recommend?

sil80s13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Prefect! That's what I was considering for a lift. Cutting the hole would be tough.
You have lots of options for lifts. You could get away with only a block lift in the back. Shackles aren't the best for our trucks because it'll flatten it. But in combination with a AAL, shackles will work. The main thing to worry about in the front is COIL BUCKET CONTACT. So 2 inches is the most you can go without upgrading the UCAs.

Reactions: Remington_PRO4X

sil80s13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Don't forget to buy adjustable cam bolts from prgproducts.com or grab them from the dealer. 2005 frontier and xterras had them from the factory. Alignment is also needed.

sil80s13

Rank 0

Traveler I

Your wheels are good. The dynapros are ok. But I would run them till they are worn out. The Bilstien 4600 you have from the factory should be ok in the front. Adding a 2 inch lift in the back might max it out or not. But rear shocks are dirt cheap anyways.

Jhberria

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Lacey, WA
Cool Thanks JhBerria! I'll shoot you a message if I run into anything. Any major performance upgrades you recommend?
Tires. Get new tires. The BFGs that came with your year (looks like a 2014, before they swapped the BFGs for the Dynapros) are not good. A set of good all-terrain tires in either the 265/75/16 OEM size, or 285/75/16 (one size up) will take you many places.

Also, look at removing the OEM plastic mud flaps. If you don't, the first pseudo-technical trail you tackle will remove them for you.

After that, sliders and a small lift. There are many slider options for our trucks, and they are worth their weight in gold in protecting your rocker panels, especially in considering how low (relatively) our panels are.

As for the lift, I've always had good luck with Old Man Emu products. They're simple, reliable, and good performing. PRG and Nisstec offer several other lift options.