Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I am very excited that I have finally installed a Prinsu Rack on my 2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2. After weeks of waiting, it finally came in. I really like the build quality, design, look and functionality of this system. I think that Prinsu has done an excellent job designing and building the roof rack. Chevy, on the other hand, needs to get a clue. Don't get me wrong, I have been a loyal GM guy for many years but they need to consider that they are selling the ZR2 to off road enthusiasts. Drilling the 12 holes and installing the nut-zerts to put on this rack just about killed me. I went through 3 cobalt bits and about 6 hours of cursing. Now this is the point in the conversation where all the taco owners smirk and laugh at me because Toyota actually thought ahead and pre-installed these which makes putting the rack on a snap. I really wish that GM would do this on future releases of the ZR2. None the less I did it, and I did it correctly, and it doesn't leak but MAN WHAT A PAIN! Oh, and Taco guys, before you make too much fun of me, where are your front lockers ;-)

20210905_180547925_iOS (2).jpg20210905_180604105_iOS (2).jpg20210905_180652843_iOS (2).jpg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I won’t make fun of you, you chose the Chevy just as my brother-in-law did. He also added the PrinSu racks. So far it’s been a relatively sturdy rig, having issues only with ground clearance and it’s been lifted 2”. He’s got the lesser version and is looking to add lockers before next spring. I advised him not to lock the front axle. I’ve a front locker, stock and have never needed to use it. I do use it on occasion just to keep it exercised. You are correct though. Chevy does not think things through. Have your airbags popped yet during steep or off camber Instances?

Reactions: North40overland

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I won’t make fun of you, you chose the Chevy just as my brother-in-law did. He also added the PrinSu racks. So far it’s been a relatively sturdy rig, having issues only with ground clearance and it’s been lifted 2”. He’s got the lesser version and is looking to add lockers before next spring. I advised him not to lock the front axle. I’ve a front locker, stock and have never needed to use it. I do use it on occasion just to keep it exercised. You are correct though. Chevy does not think things through. Have your airbags popped yet during steep or off camber Instances?
Not yet. Is that something I should look forward to?

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

Yeah the taco guys have it easy, I have a Tundra and had to drill for my Prinsu too. Did you drop the headliner when you installed or use drill stops? In the Tundra community there was an issue with people drilling into their curtain airbags when installing a similar roof rack (not Prinsu) anyway people weren't dropping the headliner and killed their airbags. 1 guy drilled 4 of his airbags and it was about 4k to fix. I don't know if its an issue with the Colorado

Reactions: thalooch

thalooch

Rank 0

Traveler I

Colorado, USA
First Name
Luchino
Last Name
Castagno
Yeah the taco guys have it easy, I have a Tundra and had to drill for my Prinsu too. Did you drop the headliner when you installed or use drill stops? In the Tundra community there was an issue with people drilling into their curtain airbags when installing a similar roof rack (not Prinsu) anyway people weren't dropping the headliner and killed their airbags. 1 guy drilled 4 of his airbags and it was about 4k to fix. I don't know if its an issue with the Colorado
hey fellow tundra guy here too :-)

That was it....nothing more. I do have a vehicle build thread working though.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
They are noted for deploying the airbags because of off camber or tilted off road situations. I don’t know if Chevy ever fixed it. But it would be something for you to look into
GM issued a recall on the involved trucks about 3 years ago. It involved a reflash of the air bag system, old issue.

The Colorado roof is made from Boron steel, great roll over protection, hard on drill bits.

kwbales

Rank II

Contributor III

Benicia, California, United States
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Bales
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ai6zx
I feel you man. I installed Rhino racks on my Colorado and it needed only 4 holes drilled and it was a the same experience hours of work and many sacrificial drill bits!

Worst of all was that it wanted them riveted in place. Nutserts would have been a much better idea!