nice new 4runner, i'm going to scratch the hell out of the sides, sad,,,,solutions

• HTML tutorial

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
i'm sure other folks have some newer expensive rigs, where i go, well, it's sad what is going to happen to the paint on the sides. i've heard of some 3m coverings? anything else out there that you could peel off if you ever decide to sell your rig?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Oracal vinyl. I might wrap my truck. Sadly it's $300+ per roll.

If I build/buy a Jeep or Midsize, I'll get a black one and wrap it flat black. Since those will see tight trails that my truck might not.

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
Oracal vinyl. I might wrap my truck. Sadly it's $300+ per roll.

If I build/buy a Jeep or Midsize, I'll get a black one and wrap it flat black. Since those will see tight trails that my truck might not.
Is it fairly easy to apply by yourself?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep. It's just sticky tape that's stretchy when heated with a heat gun. Getting it to look ok is harder. But you can peel it off whenever you want.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
You can consider magnetic armour. It can be applied when heading on the trail and removed when you are daily driving your rig. Here is an example of what is available for Jeeps, and you may find some for 4Runners too; these are basically just magnetic sheets cut to fit the body panels of your rig.

Twisted

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

NW Oregon
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Carroll
Member #

This is why I bought a super white 4Runner. It only had a couple thousand miles on it the first time I took it down a goat trail.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
This seems fair:

585 a roll.

Last edited:

Mtntrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0THS
Go Off Road Armor Teck (GOAT) just came out with 5th gen 4runner magnetic armor for $495 a set. I plan to buy a set.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

i'm sure other folks have some newer expensive rigs, where i go, well, it's sad what is going to happen to the paint on the sides. i've heard of some 3m coverings? anything else out there that you could peel off if you ever decide to sell your rig?
Check out The latest from Live Work Wander they wrap the whole truck in Xpel Paint Protection Film (clear Bra)

Boort

Reactions: Ashton

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Ceramic coating. Basically makes your paintwork invincible forever if you apply the right stuff. It also makes it incredibly easy to clean.

Reactions: John D.

Ashton

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Near the Rubicon
First Name
Hari
Last Name
See Above
You could use some of that thicker contact paper, it's sticky on one side and people use it for bottoms of cabinets and such? I've felt a plastic kind of diamond plate version of that and thought it would work for just this sort of thing. I don't remember what it was called, but it was at Michaels (hobby store) so I know it's out there.

What's stopping you from duck taping some 5-8 mil painters tarp over that? you can get magnets that will hold it on too.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I have lots of patina, what is the issue? I bought it to explore.
Most of the scuff marks from branches will easily polish out if shinny matters to you.
None of the coverings will stay shinny either but you cannot polish them.

Mtntrekker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hurricane, UT
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Bauer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0THS
I have lots of patina, what is the issue? I bought it to explore.
Most of the scuff marks from branches will easily polish out if shinny matters to you.
None of the coverings will stay shinny either but you cannot polish them.
Mainly want to protect against stiff, thick branches. I had some on my previous JK that went through the clear coat to the metal

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

To be honest, I have not found a good solution to the pin stripes of off-roading. Over the years, the only way to help with the aftermath of brush running tight trails, is to have a vehicle that it does not matter. That is why I have a Jeep I wheel and my 4Runner I try to keep as my “ Daily Driver”. If you only have one vehicle to drive all the time and it’s a sweet ride, you have to be willing to have a few paint scratches, it seems to go off -road. Going a little slower through brush does help! Mud running guys, will wash down their vehicles with diesel, to help with the cleanup, after mud running! Vinyl wrap, maybe a clear sheet down the sides, don’t know. Vance.

Reactions: Willys_2014

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Dogs jumping up on my truck to check out my dog do more damage to the sides of my vehicle than the brush does! Vance.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Bedliner is a option too they have multiple colors now, but it would add alot of extra weight. Ive seen it done ususally on show rigs with crazy lifts. I really like that magnet idea too bad a 50'x25" sheet of medium thick magnet is $345