nice new 4runner, i'm going to scratch the hell out of the sides, sad,,,,solutions

• HTML tutorial

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Tracy California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6PXJ
If you are looking for a removable option that will hold up very good look at 3M Vinyl Wrap. I use it on my company vehicles and it holds up very well. Completely removable. You can have anything you want printed on it. Really cool stuff.

I have a great design/printing contact that contracts with installers nation wide. If you want the contact t hit me up.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

So this will take some time and not the best option if you want to do trails often....but..... I've seen it so a person uses Plasti-Dip on the common areas and once it dries, applies skate board tape on top of the Plasti-Dip. They go out on trails, get up close to some pointy nature stuff, and when they're done, they peal off the tape and Plasti-Dip all at once. Skate board tape is cheap and can be bought in bulk for cheap. Plasti-Dip is a couple bucks a can.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
I have lots of patina, what is the issue? I bought it to explore.
Most of the scuff marks from branches will easily polish out if shinny matters to you.
None of the coverings will stay shinny either but you cannot polish them.
well, i guess the issue is this is the nicest most expensive vehicle i have ever owned and i didn't want to trash it. i couldnt' find a rig that was cheaper that i would trust as much not to break down. but i will figure it out.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

rockwind1

Rank I

Enthusiast I

las vegas
First Name
kevin
Bedliner is a option too they have multiple colors now, but it would add alot of extra weight. Ive seen it done ususally on show rigs with crazy lifts. I really like that magnet idea too bad a 50'x25" sheet of medium thick magnet is $345
i think you need to shop around. i found a roll of the magnetic sign material 24" by 50 feet. for 89$ locally. it was white which i didn't want, but for the price, i made magnetic custom sheets for all parts of the 4runner...so far i am happy with result.

the downside is you have to take them off before going on freeway and putting them on and off takes like 10-15min cause they have to be stored flat and i usualy have stuff on them.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Putting them on and off risks getting grit underneath, which will just cause the wear that you're trying to avoid.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I can't blame the OP.... I love the look of a used/beat up vehicle that has been on multiple adventures.....but.... that vehicle probably has all the paint dulled and or coming off.....i can't picture actively going out to ruin the paint because of branches and such.... I kinda like the clean look for day to day driving too. Its a trade off for sure...use and damage.... but I can understand not wanting it to come all at once.....Not on a newer vehicle anyway.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

well, i guess the issue is this is the nicest most expensive vehicle i have ever owned and i didn't want to trash it. i couldnt' find a rig that was cheaper that i would trust as much not to break down. but i will figure it out.
I am glad for the factory clear coat! I feel the same with my 3rd. Gen 4Runner, It is Black and in really nice shape for the age of the truck. I have carried a machete in my off-road vehicles for many years. Not the best way to protect your vehicle, but it helps. If a trail has a lot of brush that could do lots of damage, I will backup tell I can turn around, and find a different way to my destination. Does not always work, then the time to make a decision, go forward and get some pin stripes or cancel running the Route! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Just another idea. Keeping a good coat of wax will help with the pinstripes from doing any real damage, and help with cleanup too! Vance.