Newbie wants to try OBDR Route #3 - Tips?

• HTML tutorial

Ryan Welch

Rank II

Advocate II

Eugene, Oregon
Member #

I'm a newbie to overloading and would love to try one portion of the OBDR Route #3 this summer with my son and a couple buddies. Thinking we'll start small and go from Hwy58 to Sisters. Does anyone have experience on this trail? Thoughts? Advice? Thanks!

Ryan Welch

Rank II

Advocate II

Eugene, Oregon
Member #

Just wanted to say thanks for posting... I hadn't previously heard of these routes, so I have a new thread to start researching!
For sure! I've researched some of the maps and can share what I've found more in here if you want. Hopefully someone with experience doing this particular route can offer some thoughts/tips. :)

Reactions: Charlie Toner

YelloJakt

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oregon
I'd like to hear any thoughts you have while we both wait for someone with experience! ...no rush, we have months before things thaw out... lol

Reactions: Ryan Welch

John Galt

Rank III

Advocate II

Bend, OR
I dont have experience with route 3 but I have ran route 4 and some of route 5. We did it in early may last year and some might say it was too early. Being the first ones of the year on the route we had 4 saws going constantly to clear the trail. We had to reroute a few times because the snow got too deep and eventually we were stopped completely up in Granite because of snow. This is year has significantly more snowpack so I wouldnt be surprised if it was into July until the routes are completely clear. When do you plan to do Route 3? I have been wanting to make that route.

PNWExplore

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bend Oregon
Member #

I was looking at doing route 3 this fall as well, maybe not all of it but from sisters to about cresent. Will be following this thread if you happen to go before I do

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I recently just heard of these myself. I already have most of my trips for this year planned, so probably won't try any until next year. But I'd be interested in reading about your experience when you go.

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

Did you end up doing route 3? We did route 6 and 2 last September and had a great time! This July we are planning on doing route 4 and 5-2. Just curious what you thought of route 3.......

Ryan Welch

Rank II

Advocate II

Eugene, Oregon
Member #

Did you end up doing route 3? We did route 6 and 2 last September and had a great time! This July we are planning on doing route 4 and 5-2. Just curious what you thought of route 3.......
We’ve done portions of it last summer. But not the entire trip. We’re planning to go from Crater lake or Near there, to Sisters this summer. I’ll try to post thoughts/questions here as we go
Through the planning stages.

How are routes 2 and 6??

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

We’ve done portions of it last summer. But not the entire trip. We’re planning to go from Crater lake or Near there, to Sisters this summer. I’ll try to post thoughts/questions here as we go
Through the planning stages.

How are routes 2 and 6??

We really enjoyed routes 6 and 2. It was definitely good that we had the hard map and the gps route on our Garmin, though. Route 2 we ended up having to take a detour towards the end due to a fire, but it was still great! We have a few YouTube videos uploaded about our experience.......in our research we didn’t find anyone who had done route 2 or 6 in a jeep so we figured we would document our trip to help others.

We LOVED the Bohemia mine area-plan on going back this year.

That would be great if you posted your plans/ideas. We are always looking for suggestions or experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob E

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Of all the ORBDR sections that I did last year, the only place that I didn't really care for is the section between Christmas Valley, and when you enter Fremont National Forest. To say it was a rough ride would be an under statement.

That said, I was kind of disappointed with the maps for Route 2. I would advise making sure you give yourself extra time, and take detailed maps of that area.

Reactions: RainGoat

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
I'm coming up from California, and plan on running northbound on Route 3, and cutting over to the ocean via Route 6, then head home along the coast - I'm hoping to make the run in mid to late-July with my son and perhaps a friend (and his son). I'll be purchasing the Rts. 3 and 6 maps from the OBDR website. Any comments/advice welcomed!

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Bring copious amounts of bug spray and citronella candles. There may still be snow in some of the higher elevations.

The ORBDR routes aren't quite as streamline as the other BDR routes. I would plot your fuel options before you hit the route.

Reactions: WheelMe

CJ Adventure Oregon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Coos Bay, Oregon
Member #

I'm coming up from California, and plan on running northbound on Route 3, and cutting over to the ocean via Route 6, then head home along the coast - I'm hoping to make the run in mid to late-July with my son and perhaps a friend (and his son). I'll be purchasing the Rts. 3 and 6 maps from the OBDR website. Any comments/advice welcomed!
We didn’t do route 3 but we did do route 6 and really enjoyed it. I couldn’t find much on YouTube about route 6 so when we did it I videoed it to maybe help others who were interested in route 6. We had no issues with the route but if we wouldn’t have had more than just the maps we would’ve been in trouble. The Elliott state forest has soooo many roads, so having our Garmin pre routed and the map, was very helpful. Have fun!!! The Bohemia mines were really neat too, highly recommend a quick side trip there. :-) In our video I pretty much explain the whole route. We went from the coast over though......

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

We didn’t do route 3 but we did do route 6 and really enjoyed it. I couldn’t find much on YouTube about route 6 so when we did it I videoed it to maybe help others who were interested in route 6. We had no issues with the route but if we wouldn’t have had more than just the maps we would’ve been in trouble. The Elliott state forest has soooo many roads, so having our Garmin pre routed and the map, was very helpful. Have fun!!! The Bohemia mines were really neat too, highly recommend a quick side trip there. :-) In our video I pretty much explain the whole route. We went from the coast over though......

subscribed!

WheelMe

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Soquel, California, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Hung
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6AJR
Great video there, CJAO! It really helped me get a sense of the type of roads/terrains encountered on Rt. 6... except I'll be going the opposite way toward Hauser. How many miles would you say was Rt. 6, assuming that you were able to follow the prescribed route the entire way - for fuel-planning purposes? Time-wise, it seems you only needed to camp one night before reaching Rt. 2? Thanks again.

Also thanks to jdunk RE mosquito troubles.