Bay Area, California, USA
First Name
Gwendolyn
Last Name
vdL
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6YFJ
I'm happy to report we now have our HAM license. We tried to study from the book, but life gets in the way. So we signed up for a day of study+exam at BAEARS (in an SF fire station classroom), and that worked really well. Six blocks of 45 minutes studying the questions & answers of a section and then 15 minute breaks. A few people there also explained how HAMs can help in the community. It was a fun experience. Having gone through a ham book beforehand was quite helpful, and it probably helps retaining more. Otherwise you're really using short term memory to just pass the exam.

Last edited:

VE6HRY

Rank I

Off-Road Ranger I

Calgary
First Name
Harry
Last Name
Maylor
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE6HRY
I never have - but I cannot think of many reasons to do so. Can you provide a scenario where this might be useful to you? The only thing I can think of might be sitting in camp and waiting for others, who are far off, to contact you on the radio - this would allow some freedom of movement and might also take a toll on the vehicle's battery charge. When I am with a group we stick together and arrive at camp together so there is no need to monitor the radio unless doing so out of interest.
There is a story online for one very good use for crossband. If you are dealing with a situation off the trail and need to reach help your rigs crossband could save lives. If someone were in medical distress off a trail or down a gulley you could relay info out from the scene while staying in place to offer aid. I had to do something like this during a flood and communicate to a hospital cut off by the water.

Reactions: Ubiety

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Yup very true. And was assumed that it would be done at time of purchase.
The shop told me it's a simple process, but it's not something I'd dare do myself. LOL

Outlandish_Mits

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

North Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hampton
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Anybody in Vegas know of a place that can get this CB dialed and tuned? Decided to take it back and wire up a CB , I also have a midland 275 I’m waiting to be delivered. I think I can call the comms setup just about complete

Attachments

Reactions: donmontalvo

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Anybody in Vegas know of a place that can get this CB dialed and tuned? Decided to take it back and wire up a CB , I also have a midland 275 I’m waiting to be delivered. I think I can call the comms setup just about complete
I used to run with a Cobra 29, peaked and tuned at a local truck stop.

Reactions: Outlandish_Mits

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I bet you can find a video or a dozen on y’all toob university. I’ve done the mod on an Icom 2730. Straight forward but you need a small (12w) soldering iron and magnification.
I know how it's done, just never did it before and would rather not risk it.

My end goal is to have the Yaesu FTM-400XDR and an Anytone AT-6666, and be done iwth it. :)

Reactions: Outlandish_Mits

Outlandish_Mits

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

North Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hampton
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I used to run with a Cobra 29, peaked and tuned at a local truck stop.
I saw a couple guys on YouTube suggest that think I’ll have to stop by a service station and try my luck

Outlandish_Mits

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

North Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hampton
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I bet you can find a video or a dozen on y’all toob university. I’ve done the mod on an Icom 2730. Straight forward but you need a small (12w) soldering iron and magnification.
I know how it's done, just never did it before and would rather not risk it.

My end goal is to have the Yaesu FTM-400XDR and an Anytone AT-6666, and be done iwth it. :)
Definitely doesn’t seem like the hardest thing to do but I definitely rather let a tech take the credit for this install

EwingJK

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
I just got my GMRS license and TIDRADIO GM-5R radios. I have no idea how to get started with these. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I watched a few videos, but they were very basic (what's in the box; how to turn it on; software to download; etc.).

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I just got my GMRS license and TIDRADIO GM-5R radios. I have no idea how to get started with these. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I watched a few videos, but they were very basic (what's in the box; how to turn it on; software to download; etc.).
No software needed, but CHIRP would give you advanced settings as well as repeater programming. To turn on the unit, just twist the volume knob clockwise to the desired volume level. The up/down triangles change the Chanel, the A/B select which VFO you are talking on and which on you are monitoring.
The GM-5R is a rebranded Baofeng GMRS UV-5R. It uses updated firmware to lock out the amateur radio frequencies.

EwingJK

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
No software needed, but CHIRP would give you advanced settings as well as repeater programming. To turn on the unit, just twist the volume knob clockwise to the desired volume level. The up/down triangles change the Chanel, the A/B select which VFO you are talking on and which on you are monitoring.
The GM-5R is a rebranded Baofeng GMRS UV-5R. It uses updated firmware to lock out the amateur radio frequencies.
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I just need to take the leap and join a conversation.

Reactions: Ubiety and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I just need to take the leap and join a conversation.
GMRS itself is a very basic radio, just slightly more advanced than CB. The difference is privacy tones and repeater usage.. basically just need to turn the radio on, time the volume up select the channel and hit the PTT if the frequency is clear of people talking.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The difference is privacy tones and repeater usage.
Repeaters are slightly more advanced than using a GMRS radio as a "walkie talkie" or communicating with other folks on the trail. This video should explain.
"Privacy" tones are a misnomer - there is no privacy (or extra channels) provided; they merely filter out other people on the same channel if enabled. This video should explain.

Have fun!

Reactions: M Rose