gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
So I just recently bought a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 single cab with a camper shell. the first thing I am trying to do is install a power inverter in the bed of the truck so I can run my electric fridge and other electronics. Id like to install a second battery in the truck bed as well that I will be able to run external lights, a which and other such accessories off of as well as the camera shell accessories. right now I only have the one battery in the engine bay. I am looking for some advice on how to wire this and set it up for future add ons later. any help would be appreciated

Reactions: Built By Fluffy

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

That's a big question. I assume your fridge is 115V?

First thing we need to know is budget (are you looking for complete systems or diy wiring? Do you plan to integrate solar?)

Second is your level of wiring and electrical knowledge?

Reactions: gummybear

gummybear

Rank 0

Contributor II

Gardnerville, NV, USA
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Hall
The fridge can run off of 12 or 24v, or 100-240v sockets. I have A decent understanding of electrical but could use some help with avoiding pit falls/ have a second set of eyes on what I’m building. I’m looking for a system I can also plug solar into, I have a solar panel I would like to wire into the system and mount on top of the truck. I’m trying to keep the cost as low as possible while finding the balance between cost effective vs quality parts

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The fridge can run off of 12 or 24v, or 100-240v sockets. I have A decent understanding of electrical but could use some help with avoiding pit falls/ have a second set of eyes on what I’m building. I’m looking for a system I can also plug solar into, I have a solar panel I would like to wire into the system and mount on top of the truck. I’m trying to keep the cost as low as possible while finding the balance between cost effective vs quality parts
@PNW EXPLR has a trick setup for his battery mounted in the bed of his Ram. While not conventional, I’m stealing his idea for adding a third battery to my Bronco. Maybe Mike D. Can get some pictures up of his setup. I think his complete setup is pretty online with what you are wanting to do.

Reactions: gummybear

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
@PNW EXPLR has a trick setup for his battery mounted in the bed of his Ram. While not conventional, I’m stealing his idea for adding a third battery to my Bronco. Maybe Mike D. Can get some pictures up of his setup. I think his complete setup is pretty online with what you are wanting to do.
Battery project can be found in my build thread below,

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ram-2500-custom-build-rtt-rack-aux-batt-transfer-tank-other-stuff.23850/post-377060

N

NorthWest Xploder

People really like the "electric generators." Basically a battery with inverter and plugs built in. Most also have a solar input as well. Downside is expandability. If you build your own system plan it all out ahead of time and or get a kit thats ready to go like the ones at Amsolar.com also lots of folks try to run dc wires down long routes. DC stores well but doesnt travel. AC travels but doesnt store.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I too was trying to keep costs down so I bought this battery isolator and installed it in the bed of my truck and ran the lead up to my main battery/alternator connection. Then I wired it to the 138ah lithium battery I have in the bed of my truck installed in a Dewalt toolbox with a 12V power panel on the side of it to feed my refrigerator and run any other 12V appliance while at camp. I installed the battery in a Dewalt toolbox so I can easily take it out of the truck and charge if I needed to. I am also trying to keep my camping accessories 12V so I don't have to worry about a power inverter, not sure if I'll ever get one. I also have a Rich solar panel I'm going to install on the roof of my truck and connect it to the Solar Charge Controller to also charge the battery. I'm going to install the solar panel in such a way it serves as an air deflector for my RTT that sticks up above the roof of my truck. I'll take some pictures and try and post them here.