New Trailer Project: Range Runner

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I ordered a square back trailer from a company in Florida, Runaway Camper: Range Runner model (shown in photo's). Paid cash & they were nice enough to give me a cash discount too. It will be ready for pick up in the 1st week in April. We order with a few add-on's roof rack & large 40" x 40" rear door. I spent several days looking at square back's & on line & the several phone calls. Seems many of them are constructed the same way. The Runaway Range Runner is the only square back I can find that has the widest wheel base, over 6ft wide. I figure it will be 6 months of fabrication & add-on's, electrical, solar install, interior work, paint work until it is ready for the trails.
specs:
Fully Welded Steel Frame Construction
3500lb. Rated Dexter RV Axle w/Easy Lube Hubs (will add weld on shock kit & Dexter Trailer Springs Over-Under Conversion Kit)
Dual Folding Stabilzer Jacks (I'll replace with BAL C-Series Jack 28" w\BAL Foot Pads)
Front Jack with removable wheel
15" White Spoke Wheels & Tires (I'll replace 3 15"x8"x 4.5 on 5 U.S. Wheel 8 Spoke rims (sent off to the powder coater to be Black & Crosswind MT LT 215x75Rx15 tires)
Polyvinyl undercoated floor
Runaways Triple-Seal Cabin Construction provides maximum weather resistance
30"x20" Tinted Safety Glass Windows w/Screens
Two - 22"x42" RV Locking Entry Doors w/Keys
3/4" Clear Finished Wood Wall Construction
High Quality Easy to Clean Vinyl Flooring
Charcoal Gray Headliner
Two - 110v Power Strips w/Standard Connection
10" Deep Storage Shelf
Aluminum Exterior and Trim w/Baked Enamel Finish
2" Ball Coupler (I'll change out to Lock N Roll articulating hitch)
Standard 4-Prong Trailer Light Connection (I'll change out to 7 prong w\electric brakes)
Rear Accessory Hitch
5,000 btu A/C with Marine Grade Vinyl Cover
LED Tail Lights (I'll change out to 2" x 15" LED)
Bottom Mounted Spare Tire (total removal & fabricate a swing a way spare tire mount)
Diamond Plate Fenders and Front Wall Protector
Weight: 890lb.
Interior: 70.5"W x 94.5"L x 42-46"H
Overall Dimensions 11'4"L x 65"H x 94"W

I already have some of the modification parts to install. I figure about 6 months of fabrication & mod's before it hits the trails.
Dexter Trailer Springs Over-Under Conversion Kit
Weld on Shock Kit
3 Crosswind MT LT 215x75Rx15 tires
3 15"x8"x 4.5 on 5 U.S. Wheel 8 Spoke rims (sent off to the powder coater to be Black)

Here's what I order today: adjustable height Lock N Roll coupler from Compact Camping Concepts, round, pipe mount swivel jack w/ footplate weld on side wind 14-7/8" travel 2000lb, 18" 2" weld on receiver hitch tube, 40ft of 2" thick wall tubing, 1\4 sheet 3\8" metal, full 4x8 sheet 1\8" thick metal, 2ft of raw steel hitch shank. This is for the back bone & tongue I'll modify.
Will be posting the actual modification on this project thread. 985E803157D5E657.jpgA7BCB720008305AF.jpgB23BB5499C586349.jpg

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

thanks, this project will be a quailty. I'll be selling the Dinoot after I finish. The reason will be I know in time our age (60's & late 50's) with current offroad camping trailer one of us will have difficulty climbing up or down the ladder in or out of the roof top tent. This way I'll have a head start & another completed offroad trailer ready so we can continue to dispersed camping.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

more parts came in. Yesterday the Lock & Roll Hitch.
Ordered steel Jeep Style Fenders to replace the stock round fenders
I also ordered Triple Heavy Duty 20 A 12 V Plug Lighter Socket Plug Outlet Panel, 2 Rocker Switch Laser Blue ON-OFF 5Pin 20A 12V LED SASQUATCH Light, 3" Power Cord Cable Hatch Camper Round RV Trailer Electric Black for the tongue box. This way I can make all my cuts on the tongue box before I prime, spray the bed liner & paint to match the trailer.

4 days ago I order the following: round, pipe mount swivel jack w/ footplate weld on side wind 14-7/8" travel 2000lb, 18" 2" weld on receiver hitch tube, 40ft of 2" thick wall tubing, 1\4 sheet 3\8" metal, full 4x8 sheet 1\8" thick metal, 2ft of raw steel hitch shank. This is for the back bone & tongue I'll modify
001.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Chaos

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

more parts came in. Yesterday the Lock & Roll Hitch.
Ordered steel Jeep Style Fenders to replace the stock round fenders
I also ordered Triple Heavy Duty 20 A 12 V Plug Lighter Socket Plug Outlet Panel, 2 Rocker Switch Laser Blue ON-OFF 5Pin 20A 12V LED SASQUATCH Light, 3" Power Cord Cable Hatch Camper Round RV Trailer Electric Black for the tongue box. This way I can make all my cuts on the tongue box before I prime, spray the bed liner & paint to match the trailer.

4 days ago I order the following: round, pipe mount swivel jack w/ footplate weld on side wind 14-7/8" travel 2000lb, 18" 2" weld on receiver hitch tube, 40ft of 2" thick wall tubing, 1\4 sheet 3\8" metal, full 4x8 sheet 1\8" thick metal, 2ft of raw steel hitch shank. This is for the back bone & tongue I'll modify
View attachment 89354
Where do you get your steel from? Local or shipped to you? Good looking build BTW.

Reactions: Bulletwal1

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

getting more parts in for the new project. I have all the suspension parts in: (leafs, weld-on shock kit, Dexter axle flop kit, tires, tongue box, 1\2 of the electrical the new hitch & coupler Lock n Roll & just ordered the new fenders. The 1st week of April heading to Florida to pick up the Runaway Range Runner. Mean while getting the shop set up for the new project. For the last 2 weeks been giving shop a thorough cleaning & will be finishing the cleaning sometime today.
009.JPG006.JPG010.JPG013.JPG012.JPG011.JPG014.JPG004.JPG007.JPG

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

Mocking up the 12v. outdoor light switches & outside 12v. socket receptacles. Cutting out for the switches & receptacles. The electrical & solar will be done the same way I done my last offroad trailer tongue box. (last Photo) I'll be installing one more light switch smaller in size in between the 2 rocker switch which will operate a LED light off the back of the trailer.

I'll be painting the tongue box white to match the existing white of the trailer then I'll spray a 2 stage catalyzed bed liner 10" up from the bottom on 3 sides as a rock guard. Paintwork I'll be priming with PPG DP Epoxy Primer, PPG Single Stage Base Paint (white) & PPG Concept Clear Gloss. The colors will be white & black only on this project. I'll be using buglehead machine screws which I'll media blast & moly coat satin black (heads).

004.JPG002.JPG006.JPG

Last edited:

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

more work on my project offroad Runaway Range Runner Camper tongue box. Used a 3" hole saw for the solar panel cable port. Disassembled the latch mechanizm from the tongue box & removed the lock & replacing with a 2 way security lock. I media blasted the latch, machine screws for the 12v. outlet sockets, bottle opener & solar port & coated with KG Gun Kote Satin Black. This coating is a baked on finish & is extremely durable. I'll bake this finish on for 2 hours @ 285 degrees.
Nothing chrome or polished aluminum on this project. Just White & Black colors.

More parts came in the mail today for my offroad camping trailer, light switch for the rear lights (smaller size switch), license plate light, & 2 LED Blue Exterior Courtesy Lights.

Finished baking the KG Gun Kote Satin Black Moly coating on for my tongue box latch, plus installed the new lock & machine screws, installed the small light switch on the tongue box.
Everything is done on the mock up, now for prep work, primer, paint, clear coat & the black bed liner
001.JPG006.JPG008.JPG009.JPG017.JPG010.JPG012.JPG013.JPG016.JPG018.JPG

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

this morning I sprayed the PPG DP Epoxy Primer on the tongue box. 1 hr later I started putting on the base coat white on the tongue box (3 coats).
My down draft variable speed fan switch stopped working on the 2nd coat of primer. I guess after 16 yrs something has to go, most likely the contacts in the switch. LOL
Tomorrow I put on the gloss clear, 3 coats. After everything is dry, I'll mask off the tongue box & 8" off the bottom on 3 sides (front, both sides) I'll be spraying on a 2 stage catalyzed truck bed liner on leaving straight black. This will be used as a rock guard. I'll do the same on the Runaway Range Runner Trailer too on the front, & sides & chassis sides.
001.JPG025.JPG026.JPG027.JPG007.JPG

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

finished my tongue box (the outside) for the project Offroad Runaway Range Runner Camping Trailer.
This morning I got my paint booth up to temperature 75 degrees, the clear I applied last night was dry enough for the next step of the finish, the truck bedliner.
I scuffed the finish 8" from the bottom up & masked the the upper half, shot on a black epoxy automotive primer, 1 hour late I was spraying the truck bedliner on. I adjusted the air pressure for a medium texture.
When dry enough I installed the solar cable port (left side), the 3 12v. outlet sockets, the 3 12v. light switches & the bottle opener (right side), pop riveted the latch back on. I have to say it looks great.
This will hold all the electrical, solar & the 125amp AGM battery as well as the 10amp on-board charger.
014.JPG010.JPG009.JPG011.JPG013.JPG001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

no regrets, I like the Hiker a lot, the wait time is way too long for us, but what there is things "I" like about this Runaway Range Runner: the wheel base, it much wider, the cabin size is 6ft wide x 8ft long x 4 ft high. They seem to be constructed good, 3\4" birch plywood , dado joints, glue, staples, screws much like others are. The Range Runner has 2" chassis, 3500lb Dexter axle, 15" wheels, aluminum siding & roofing, rubber sealed underneath, come with 2 entry doors, 2 windows, a\c unit. What else I like about the Runaway Camper also is you can order a base line model with or w\o graphics (which we order ours w\o graphics) & do all the modification & add-on's you want. I ordered ours with 2 extra's added: rear door, roof rack.
The reviews seem to be good, every one who owns them likes them. The resale is good & they seem to sell fast. Seen a few that were turned into offroad units & the owners seem to be happy with no complaints. Time will only tell. Mine should be ready for pick up in Florida next week.

I know with me adding all new suspension & shocks on it, fabricating a new tongue with articulating hitch, new stabilizer jacks, the electrical, solar & all the other stuff it will be a good adventure trailer for Sally & I & be done right & last us for a very long time.

I'm purchasing a lot more stuff this month : Rhino Bat Wing Awning right side mount compact model, AT Overland Equipment Scepter Can mounts which I'll paint the same as the tongue box white, Tuff Stuff 6.5ft x 8ft. awning w\awning shelter room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

James Deaton

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Do they use non-cambered axles so you can flip them?

You might wait on the batwing for a few weeks. There may be something coming out that you like better... PM me for details.

James