Leonid
Last Name
Podolner
Member #

Hello there dear Overland Bound community,
I'm Leon extremely new to overlanding .
Just got my 1999 Toyota land cruiser.
(Stock suspension, tires 265/75/16)
Got a inspection set up next week at the most recommend place in houston.
After that I hope to get a "priority list" to understand exactly what needed to be done with basically every part in the car.
In the mean time I'm joining this community to learn , get educated about everything overlanding. I want to do a good home work before even thinking of going anywhere. (Maybe some local camping trips ,off road trips etc. But actual overlanding that Will require MORE)

So any advise how best to approach the first steps on this super exciting journey. I'm not buying anything for the exterior before I'm making sure that all the interior/under the hood is good to go.
Plus I've started to gather "recovery gear" which I consider more important to have a full recovery kit and options before a nice hybrid roof rack.
Any constructive criticism
brutal criticism
Good/bad advise

Everything and everyone are welcome I'm here to learn and treat everyone like I would've wanted to be treated.
Cheers from Houston, Texas.
Leon.p20210424_185703.jpg

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
For recovery gear, take a look at Treaty Oak Offroad - it's some of the best recovery gear you can buy and made here in Houston. If you haven't joined already, think about joining the Houston Overland and Texas Overland groups on Facebook. Are you taking your rig to Duggy's Garage?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Hello Leon, welcome from Oklahoma.

You are in the Southwest Region. Check out the Southwest Region sub-forum for local information and involvement opportunities.

Here is the link to the forum calendar and Meet-Up event page: Overland Bound Meetups. There is a meet up in the Houston area. US Southwest - Taco Tuesday Truck Talk | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Or to check out what other members are planning go here: Overland Trip Planning.

I am one of the SW Region Member Reps so if you have any questions let me know.
If you are on Facebook feel free to join us there as well, Overland Bound – Southwest.

Reactions: LoneCruiser

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Welcome from Georgetown. If you are ever in the area, we'd enjoy seeing you at one of our monthly meets.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Welcome to the OB Community. You'll meet some of the nicest people in this place. So many willing to help and give great advice. The experience bench here is deep, so tap in and don't be afraid to ask. Make sure you follow the "how to's" for new members. I'm a fellow Land Cruiser member, so congrats on your new friend. You'll be blown away how connected to these trucks you become. They become an extension of you. Take your time...there's no hurry. Be thoughtful about each upgrade. I've made many expensive mistakes trying to rush things. Most of all, enjoy the trip and at minimum, find a really good mechanic who specializes in your Land Cruiser...super important. The heart of your rig must be in good shape to make the distance.

JeepinOutdoors

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Alvin, TX, USA
First Name
Don
Last Name
Swinner
Member #

After that I hope to get a "priority list" to understand exactly what needed to be done with basically every part in the car.
In the mean time I'm joining this community to learn , get educated about everything overlanding. I want to do a good home work before even thinking of going anywhere. (Maybe some local camping trips ,off road trips etc. But actual overlanding that Will require MORE)

So any advise how best to approach the first steps on this super exciting journey. I'm not buying anything for the exterior before I'm making sure that all the interior/under the hood is good to go.
Plus I've started to gather "recovery gear" which I consider more important to have a full recovery kit and options before a nice hybrid roof rack.
brutal criticism
Good/bad advise

Everything and everyone are welcome I'm here to learn and treat everyone like I would've wanted to be treated.
Leon.pView attachment 196575
Welcome! I too just joined a few weeks ago and live in the Houston area as well. I bought a Jeep Wrangler in October of 2019 and am looking to outfit it so I can do some overlanding. I am new to all this and am also learning

Attachments

LoneCruiser

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Leonid
Last Name
Podolner
Member #

For recovery gear, take a look at Treaty Oak Offroad - it's some of the best recovery gear you can buy and made here in Houston. If you haven't joined already, think about joining the Houston Overland and Texas Overland groups on Facebook. Are you taking your rig to Duggy's Garage?
Got appointment for the "full/deep Incpection @$250(@ javier's unlimited . I hope to get after that Incpection idea of the actual shape my new 99' LC is actually is . And after that I can make a priority list of things I must/need & want for it.
Do you know if doggies garage offers similar type of Incpection and might have a spot during this week?

Stormcrow

Rank IV

Traveler III

Houston, TX
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Bleakley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5DSB
Got appointment for the "full/deep Incpection @$250(@ javier's unlimited . I hope to get after that Incpection idea of the actual shape my new 99' LC is actually is . And after that I can make a priority list of things I must/need & want for it.
Do you know if doggies garage offers similar type of Incpection and might have a spot during this week?
Duggy’s seems to be the place to take Toyota’s in Houston (they’re going to install the auxiliary fuel tank in my 4Runner when it comes in towards the end of the month). I know they were busy with and closed this weekend for Lonestar Toyota Jamboree, but the owner is really responsive on Facebook Messenger.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

brutal criticism
Good/bad advise

Leon.pView attachment 196575
Welcome to Overland Bound Leon
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in the Southwest Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
The closest Member Representative is @Prerunner1982
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course

Fly501

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Choctaw, OK, USA
First Name
Levi
Last Name
Wade
Member #

Leon I’m not a Texas resident, nor do I have a Land Cruiser, but I do own Land Rover, have owned many other means of travel, and I do like adventure!

I am responding simply because I’m surprised no one else has (or I can’t see their posts????).

My advice to someone getting into a overlanding is that the first things they should do is take a pen and paper and go camping, even if it has to be at a campsite close to them. Even if you’ve been a reasonably experienced camper for years, you’ll be quite surprised at how much you’ll be able to determine is worthless, and necessary, on a typical weekend camping trip. Over the years I’ve camped off of motorcycles, glamped, RVd, hotel/motel, cabin, etc. I’ve over packed and underpacked……I can appreciate all of it, and it’s all relevant depending on needs and location.

I find quality gear is worth the money, you are generally not more than half a day from a store (if not a mall), and the first priority of focus (after making sure your rig is healthy, is recovery gear and first aid.

Simply put, to many people need to be rescued because they spent their money on wheels and LEDs before a winch or a snatch rope, or even a simple shovel (buy a small one you’ll be surprised how much you use it over a large one). “Lockers before lights” (always pack a large and small towel and a small tarp for getting dirty on repairs. Tarp to lay on, wrap parts in, etc)

Similarly to many trips have been had in misery because one didn’t have sunscreen, excedrin, bite cream, or bug spray…..antacids!!!!! Fortunately I have never had to bandage someone up, use blood clotter, or mediflight someone, but all the same I am reasonably prepared to do so. (Garmin in reach, trauma kit, etc)

You have an unbelievably capable rig on your hands, and there are an unbelievably large number of places you can go with it in reasonably stock format, maybe add a high-quality set a tires, but otherwise it’ll take you a lot of places.

LoneCruiser

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Leonid
Last Name
Podolner
Member #

Leon I’m not a Texas resident, nor do I have a Land Cruiser, but I do own Land Rover, have owned many other means of travel, and I do like adventure!

I am responding simply because I’m surprised no one else has (or I can’t see their posts????).

My advice to someone getting into a overlanding is that the first things they should do is take a pen and paper and go camping, even if it has to be at a campsite close to them. Even if you’ve been a reasonably experienced camper for years, you’ll be quite surprised at how much you’ll be able to determine is worthless, and necessary, on a typical weekend camping trip. Over the years I’ve camped off of motorcycles, glamped, RVd, hotel/motel, cabin, etc. I’ve over packed and underpacked……I can appreciate all of it, and it’s all relevant depending on needs and location.

I find quality gear is worth the money, you are generally not more than half a day from a store (if not a mall), and the first priority of focus (after making sure your rig is healthy, is recovery gear and first aid.

Simply put, to many people need to be rescued because they spent their money on wheels and LEDs before a winch or a snatch rope, or even a simple shovel (buy a small one you’ll be surprised how much you use it over a large one). “Lockers before lights” (always pack a large and small towel and a small tarp for getting dirty on repairs. Tarp to lay on, wrap parts in, etc)

Similarly to many trips have been had in misery because one didn’t have sunscreen, excedrin, bite cream, or bug spray…..antacids!!!!! Fortunately I have never had to bandage someone up, use blood clotter, or mediflight someone, but all the same I am reasonably prepared to do so. (Garmin in reach, trauma kit, etc)

You have an unbelievably capable rig on your hands, and there are an unbelievably large number of places you can go with it in reasonably stock format, maybe add a high-quality set a tires, but otherwise it’ll take you a lot of places.
Howdy my friend ,

I truly appreciate your input.

And actually only tomorrow I'll be getting the LC out of the shop .

After pretty much the majority of the under the hood.

Alternator
Radiator &hoses
Fan clutch& bracket
The Aisin water pump kit thermostat

This days finishing the steering rack replacement
With 2 brand new CV axels with low&upper ball joints.
Wheel bearing
And get it right after that for alligment .

And I. The mean while I've been getting basic recovery gear but still need a bunch of necessary pieces are missing but since my first introduction into the overland app and forums on here I've been reading and almost pulled the trigger on a new suspension and got the advice to first of all just like you said go camping take out the rig outside make sure it's actually all the parts that I ever placed are working fine and there's no issues with nothing and slowly my main purpose is to gather information knowledge and as much as possible experience I truly appreciate your input and I hope so I am on the right path and definitely recovery gear first aid will be before I going to put any LED on my car I can promise that.
For me like I mentioned I'm super new before this majority even for camping so for me I'm going to be digging into how to and 101 of camping and for me it's very important to know how it would sound crazy but even properly to take a s*** in the if it's primitive type of campsite or it's like a park and it's designated parks and campsites I'm a guy that I like to educate myself before I do anything because like you said I don't want to be from those people that stuck in the middle of nowhere because I prefer to have 35 inch wheels instead of a recovery gear that will get me out of it.

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome to the OB family Leon. Lots of great people in this group and we are glad to have you join us.