Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I am looking to pick up the MXT275 for the Jeep JKU. I was also looking at picking up Midlands 32" 6DB whip antenna.

I am curious what the impact of mounting the antenna on the spare tire carrier of the Jeep would be to the signal? Also if I swapped the antenna out to one of their ghost antennas would the signal be crap being on the spare tire carrier blocked by the hard top on the Jeep?

Attached is my CB antenna but I am looking at doing the same setup for my GMRS setup.

The 6DB whip will mostly be above the top, but the ghost antenna would not.
One of the good things about GMRS is you don't need a huge ground plane to make it work well.

I always suggest having more than one antenna on hand for various circumstances. Different tools for different jobs. The little ghost antenna will be great for tight trails or if your group is spread out over a large elevation change, you could also put a 6inch whip on, which is quarter wave on GMRS this should still be protected in your mounting position from trail hazards, it has the advantage of being a lot cheaper.

The longer antenna will work well in the flatter more open area. If your 35 inch whip antenna get's ripped off by a low branch you won't be transmitting far at all so keep that in mind. While you will see some signal attenuation from objects blocking your signal like your hard top you will still get acceptable range even in the spot you are wanting to use it for trail communications. I bet you would get acceptable range in normal use as well. I can use the above mentioned 6 inch whip on the fender of my XJ to get into the local repeater from 40 miles away.

As with many things communications (at least with VHF/UHF) terrain dictates our actions. What works well in the flatlands may not work as well in the hills and mountains.

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

I am looking to pick up the MXT275 for the Jeep JKU. I was also looking at picking up Midlands 32" 6DB whip antenna.

I am curious what the impact of mounting the antenna on the spare tire carrier of the Jeep would be to the signal? Also if I swapped the antenna out to one of their ghost antennas would the signal be crap being on the spare tire carrier blocked by the hard top on the Jeep?

Attached is my CB antenna but I am looking at doing the same setup for my GMRS setup.

The 6DB whip will mostly be above the top, but the ghost antenna would not.
One of the good things about GMRS is you don't need a huge ground plane to make it work well.

I always suggest having more than one antenna on hand for various circumstances. Different tools for different jobs. The little ghost antenna will be great for tight trails or if your group is spread out over a large elevation change, you could also put a 6inch whip on, which is quarter wave on GMRS this should still be protected in your mounting position from trail hazards, it has the advantage of being a lot cheaper.

The longer antenna will work well in the flatter more open area. If your 35 inch whip antenna get's ripped off by a low branch you won't be transmitting far at all so keep that in mind.

As with many things communications (at least with VHF/UHF) terrain dictates our actions. What works well in the flatlands may not work as well in the hills and mountains.
That's my thoughts as well and the reason I want to have both on hand. Neither of them take up much space for storage. I just want to make sure having the ghost antenna below the hard top with no ground plane to work off of will be alright for a decent distance.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Not ideal but it will still work. You could always make your own groundplane by bolting a circle of metal to the mount. It will help with performance of your longer antennas too.

Here's a premade solution.

When some guys are trying to make a low profile antenna for their home radios they will sometimes take a baking sheet and put a mag mount antenna in the middle of it put it somewhere in their attic. The cooking sheet makes quite a good ground plane.

Reactions: Desert Runner

TheBronze

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Montebello, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Washburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6GBW
Service Branch
US Army
If you just want the radio for trail and convoy use then you don't need to get carried away with a big antenna. I use a tiny PCTel antenna on the cowling of my old Jeep YJ and it gives my a good 4-5 miles on simplex. I use it with a 5 watt Motorola radio so its good for repeaters and trail simplex without being a PITA. I even can go through a car wash with it on if I ever went through a car wash! The only reason to use a large high gain antenna is if you live in a flat desert and want to talk simplex over a very extended range. Otherwise, keep it simple and small.

Attachments

yeos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moses Lake
First Name
Torn
Last Name
Saelee
Member #

I'm considering buying one of these and getting a license. My question is are there GMRS channels that are commonly known as an emergency channel etc? Just want to know so I have a list and don't end up using one of those channels on a trail run.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I'm considering buying one of these and getting a license. My question is are there GMRS channels that are commonly known as an emergency channel etc? Just want to know so I have a list and don't end up using one of those channels on a trail run.
Not really. Ive seen channel 20 and it's repeater pair talked about as being kind of an emergency channel but you wont find much in the way of anything even remotely offical or u offical. Dont depend on GMRS for emergency use anyway.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It’s not like CB channel 9, if that’s what you’re asking

Reactions: yeos and Downs

yeos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moses Lake
First Name
Torn
Last Name
Saelee
Member #

I was thinking more of a channel 16 vhf that's designated for marine emergency use only. I don't plan on using it for emergencies, but was curious if there were designated channels that I should stay off of for trail communications. It doesn't sound like it. Thanks

NathanPAnderson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Northeast Arkansas
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I love my MXT275! I have the ghost antenna for woods traveling and the 6db whip antenna for more open roads traveling. Both work great. I have not permanently mounted the unit yet but it is small enough that it fits in the glove box and I have the handheld mounted high up on the windshield next to my phone mount. Out of the way and easy to reach. I like have the mic/speaker high in the truck so its easy to hear.

By the way you can use code overlandusa for 20% off anytime.

BD464B69-9EED-487F-93A0-CA4FB239C84B.jpeg

yeos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moses Lake
First Name
Torn
Last Name
Saelee
Member #

Did you guys wire up the GMRS radio to an always on 12v socket or just a factory acc 12v socket? I was able to test out the MX275 this weekend and while the radio performed great, it was a bit annoying that I had to turn the radio back on after I shut down and restarted the vehicle which happened to be many times out on the trail for 8 hours. I am thinking about hooking it up to an always on 12v socket.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Did you guys wire up the GMRS radio to an always on 12v socket or just a factory acc 12v socket? I was able to test out the MX275 this weekend and while the radio performed great, it was a bit annoying that I had to turn the radio back on after I shut down and restarted the vehicle which happened to be many times out on the trail for 8 hours. I am thinking about hooking it up to an always on 12v socket.

Typically it's recommend to wire your radio straight to your battery, with proper circuit protection of course. This helps cuts down on electronic interference from the vehicle and allows you to run the radio at any time. Radios when they are idle do not draw much power, varies from radio to radio but expect about 500 milliamps on recieve only. A typical automotive battery could run a radio at idle for quite a while. I've had no issues leaving mine on when I'm at work for 24 hour shifts and the Jeep starts just fine the next morning.

Now if you're going to be talking a lot a 50 watt radio at full power will consume somewhere between 7 and 10 amps. If you are yakking a lot with the vehicle off just keep that in mind.

Last edited:

jocww

Rank 0

Contributor I

California, USA
First Name
jon
Last Name
wong
Will the 275 mic fit on a 400? Trying to decide if the 400 is worth the extra price. I do like the fact that the 275 has everything in the mic. So just seeing if I can have the watts and the mic. If not then Ill have to make another choice.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Will the 275 mic fit on a 400? Trying to decide if the 400 is worth the extra price. I do like the fact that the 275 has everything in the mic. So just seeing if I can have the watts and the mic. If not then Ill have to make another choice.
check out the MXT575, it's a 50 watt version of the MXT275.

Reactions: Desert Runner

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
check out the MXT575, it's a 50 watt version of the MXT275.
I had heard about this new unit, and would have seriously considered it, if I had not already invested in the MXT 275 original model. On trail, I really like the mic setup this model has. Definitely something to seriously think about if your contemplating a GMRS mobile radio.

PS: Waiting to see some write-ups on the new Hi Power unit, and what type of distance/clarity they are getting. This with both the baby OEM magnetic antenna and a upgraded vehicle mobile antenna.

Last edited: