New Midland MXT275 (GMRS Mobile)

• HTML tutorial

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio/?goal=0_534087e663-af68a105eb-114076357&mc_cid=af68a105eb&mc_eid=572f752e94

What a cool form factor, I've been considering adding a dedicated GMRS radio to my truck but hate to dedicate the dash space for mounting the transceiver body in a visible/convenient location for something that will rarely get used over the ham, definitely picking one of these up when they release. I'll mount the transceiver against the back cab wall behind the rear seats and extend the mic/controls with CAT5 cable.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Nice. I might pick one of these up when released as well. the body looks small enough to have mounted stashed away under or on the side of the dash somewhere, too

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
GMRS... hmmmm.

I like the idea, but as with any radio, it takes two.
And I've had the most success with Ham radio lately, convincing my two sons and a friend to get their Ham license in order to have reliable and functional trail comms.

Let me think a minute...

Reasons I might get this:
- Nice form factor, easy to mount almost anywhere
- Mic controls are handy
- GMRS license is good for not just one person
- High functionality and can communicate with more people
- One low cost to get in, box includes pretty much everything needed, including an antenna!
- Plug and play, GMRS channels require no programming and can talk with any other GMRS capable radio

Reasons I might not get this:
- I'm out of dash real estate in my car! AM/FM radio, phone mount, CB, Ham, In-Reach w/tablet... they all take prime space up there
- Just one more radio that I'd feel obliged to use and support when Ham has been my main direction for a while now
- I think I paid for a GMRS license but never got any confirmation or actual call sign (that one is my fault for poor follow up)
- Won't come out til 2018 and I don't have that kind of patience!
- I feel like I finally have my Ham dialed in with freq's and repeaters that I use all programmed... Phew!

I'd like to try one to compare quality of sound and range, but don't feel like it would be better than Ham on 50 watts or so.
I know that's not a fair comparo, but like I said, I've got the Ham thing dialed in and I'd like fewer choices so we can all play well together on one type of radio, but that will never happen.

I'll probably stick to Ham/2m as my main comm, and CB as backup and occasional support.

@aearles let us know if you get one of these and what you think!

Dan.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Great Pro/Con list! Yeah, I'm with you on the ham thinking. It's definitely my go-to, but on many runs I go on, most of the participants don't have their amateur license so we end up having to use something else. I always have 2m/70cm, GMRS, and CB, and i prefer to use them in that order. Another good thing I like about about GMRS is that some of the channels overlap with the unlicensed FRS frequencies, so I can hand an unlicensed person/people an FRS radio and be reliably happy with coms. i absolutely HATE using CB because it never works well. I can have my setup as dialed in as possible, but it always seems like most other people have a messed up setup or a crappy handheld and the coms always break down and we spend most of the air time saying "hello? do you copy?", "did you hear me?", "can i get a radio check?", "what did you say? all i heard was crackling"

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I'd like to try one to compare quality of sound and range, but don't feel like it would be better than Ham on 50 watts or so.
I'll probably stick to Ham/2m as my main comm, and CB as backup and occasional support.
Dan.
Tune your ham radio to 440MHz and 15 watts and you will get an idea of how this GMRS radio (or their other 15 watt radio the MXT115) would perform. Or like you said crank it up to 50 watts.
I like their other micromobile GMRS radios, something about all controls in the mic that doesn't appeal to me. Big hands, little buttons on something I am already trying to hold in my hand....I don't know.

GMRS would make an adequate replacement for CB for trail/convoy comms if more people would use it and since they also communicate with the FRS handheld radios even non GMRS licensed individuals could communicate. Or get to camp and throw the kids a FRS radio and you can keep track of them.

I too prefer to use my ham radio but would gladly add GMRS if other non-hams in my group adopted it.

And Brien posted with the same sentiments just before I could hit submit.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
GMRS... hmmmm.

I like the idea, but as with any radio, it takes two.
And I've had the most success with Ham radio lately, convincing my two sons and a friend to get their Ham license in order to have reliable and functional trail comms.

Let me think a minute...

Reasons I might get this:
- Nice form factor, easy to mount almost anywhere
- Mic controls are handy
- GMRS license is good for not just one person
- High functionality and can communicate with more people
- One low cost to get in, box includes pretty much everything needed, including an antenna!
- Plug and play, GMRS channels require no programming and can talk with any other GMRS capable radio

Reasons I might not get this:
- I'm out of dash real estate in my car! AM/FM radio, phone mount, CB, Ham, In-Reach w/tablet... they all take prime space up there
- Just one more radio that I'd feel obliged to use and support when Ham has been my main direction for a while now
- I think I paid for a GMRS license but never got any confirmation or actual call sign (that one is my fault for poor follow up)
- Won't come out til 2018 and I don't have that kind of patience!
- I feel like I finally have my Ham dialed in with freq's and repeaters that I use all programmed... Phew!

I know that's not a fair comparo, but like I said, I've got the Ham thing dialed in and I'd like fewer choices so we can all play well together on one type of radio, but that will never happen.

@aearles let us know if you get one of these and what you think!

Dan.

Dan, looks like your GMRS callsign was issued as WQZG538
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3918643

I just did a ULS search of your ham call sign to get your FRN and then searched other licenses associated with your FRN.

Ham is my primary as well, and I have my TM-D710GA opened up to TX on GMRS if necessary but it would be nice to have a type-accepted legal GMRS rig and free up my dual receiver ham for simplex and repeater monitoring while still using GMRS for group comms. For $150 it seems like a good fit. I would drill a hole for a small NMO antenna and install another RJ45 jack under my dash so when not in use the speaker/mic would stay in the glove box, when I need GMRS it just gets plugged in under the dash and probably rides in a cup holder.

Last edited:

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Dan, looks like your GMRS callsign was issued as WQZG538
http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3918643

Haha, thanks for the link! I can't believe you were motivated enough to go that length for me! I tried to find when I actually paid for it but got busy and gave up!

I like your idea for mounting / use and it is NOT a bad price for the capability, still weighing the options. You think the included antenna is not a good one? Seems that that is a plus for this unit, all included and probably tuned together - no muss, no fuss.

And @Prerunner1982 I get the big hands / small buttons thing for sure, but reaching through to get to the actual radio buttons for me is worse, this would be a definite plus for me.

Dan

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
Haha, thanks for the link! I can't believe you were motivated enough to go that length for me! I tried to find when I actually paid for it but got busy and gave up!

I like your idea for mounting / use and it is NOT a bad price for the capability, still weighing the options. You think the included antenna is not a good one? Seems that that is a plus for this unit, all included and probably tuned together - no muss, no fuss.

And @Prerunner1982 I get the big hands / small buttons thing for sure, but reaching through to get to the actual radio buttons for me is worse, this would be a definite plus for me.

Dan
I just prefer NMO mount and clean install with no cables running through doors or magnets on the roof. Dedicated UHF antennas are pretty small and I'm not overly concerned about it being high efficiency or performance so that included antenna would be fine, more about the clean install for me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I recently got the mxt115 and working on installing it now. Really like the radio and mic has a nice feel to it. But i will say thay when purchasing I went into it as i was buying a $150 radio and getting a free antenna. Boy am I glad I set low expectations lol. Pretty weak magnet anf 19ft of rg 174 cable. Now i will say it does work so dont get me wrong. Just know for me i plan to replace the included antenna. But i had planned that and for me the mxt115 plus a new antenna set up was still cheaper then going with the mxt400. So just a heads up for anyone planing on getting a midland that has the included antenna

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Interesting discussion, I'm thinking that the Ham is primary and using an illegal work around (programing) works for the GMRS. That being said Im also liking the idea of a separate GMRS radio if for nothing else it would leave the ham open to monitor ham channels and the GMRS for some trail runs when not everyone is ham, and this seems to be the case more and more. for instance Off The Grid our group was GMRS and we had to get all of our Sierra Foothills group programed for that ch. even though it was technically illegal.

Im not into cluttering up the dash but this Midland unit is much like my CB and when I'm not using it I just store it away and that is most of the time. I probably will get one as long as it comes with a Cat5 extension.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I picked up the MXT115 already but cool to see more units coming from Midland. I tend to prefer not have the controls in the mic based on my Cobra 75 CB experience, but the display looks pretty good on this unit and good sized buttons, probably a better experience overall.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I picked up the MXT115 already but cool to see more units coming from Midland. I tend to prefer not have the controls in the mic based on my Cobra 75 CB experience, but the display looks pretty good on this unit and good sized buttons, probably a better experience overall.
I agree about the mic controls the cobra is clunky but what I like about it is that it will take up minimal room especially with all the other nav and comms stuff there already.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I agree about the mic controls the cobra is clunky but what I like about it is that it will take up minimal room especially with all the other nav and comms stuff there already.
Agreed, the small footprint in a unit like this is nice. The design of the MXT275 appears to be much better then the Cobra 75, I'm sure it will function and sound better. Cat5 extension cables are cheap so mounting options will be great too.

Reactions: HeliSniper

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS

MtMan

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Stow, MA
Member #

I have been looking at the Midland MXT400 to replace my CB. Most clubs in this area are going to FRS/GMRS and moving away from CB due to poor sounds quality. The portability of the FRS radios is a plus. I have been using them for years in the outdoors and they work just fine. I know someone that is using the MXT115 and really likes it, but did install a better antenna than the included one.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
www.midlandusa.com
promo code: blackfriday17 for 25% off.
The MXT275 isn't out yet but there are other mobile GMRS radios......or a CB.

So this would make the MXT400 price tag around $188! Not a bad dealio!

40 watts! Seems to have some good reviews, i do like the compact-ness of it, but again, I defer to the list of cons - no more dash real estate remains!

1st world problems!