bearman512

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Albuquerque
First Name
Berrett
Last Name
Harrison
Is there much off road driving there. I'm close to Amarillo myself and stopped by Mills canyon last summer but did not explore much.
There is no legal offroading there. That said you can take the old stagecoach trail to the top of the Mesa it can be quite challenging, very narrow squeeze between the road edge and a volkswagon sized bolder.

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
New member here just wanting to say hello. Got a 2016 Ram 2500 that I use to get off the beaten path.
Hey David, welcome. To keep up with what's happening in the 505 - go to the Overland New Mexico and the Desert Valley Overlanders pages on Facebook. Both have great groups of folks who are like minded for outdoor adventure.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Check out Desert Valley Overlanders on FB as well
Everyone is referring to FB in this thread. I don't use FB, Twitter or any of these sites. Isn't there a common place to find activities for NM activities. I have been searching for months for a clubs or group that gather for off roading and the only ones I have found are the NM4wheelers and a Las Cruces bunch of rock crawlers which doesn't interest me except as a spectator.. A good group but just to far from me down here in the SW corner of NM where there are tons of places to go and see but no organized bunch of Boon dockers.

Reactions: Shamu

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
New member here just wanting to say hello. Got a 2016 Ram 2500 that I use to get off the beaten path.
What part of NM are you in ? Welcome to OB forum. You picked a great truck for your OB adventures IMO.
Post us some pic's.
Lanlubber

Doodoob_2377

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Luz, New Mexico, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Hey David, welcome. To keep up with what's happening in the 505 - go to the Overland New Mexico and the Desert Valley Overlanders pages on Facebook. Both have great groups of folks who are like minded for outdoor adventure.
Yep, I already went to the Oveland NM page. I will have to check out the other one.
Thanks

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey guys, I've already done my intro on the main forum thought I'd drop in and say hi here.

I'm in Capitan new to Overlanding. My rig is a stock 2008 Ford Sport Trac 4x4.
Always glad to se more NM OB'ers. Be nice to have some good ol Fords out here in the boonies, that is their birthplace.
Show us some pic's of your rig and keep us posted on any mod's you make. Lots of different threads here in the forums so pipe in when you see something at the bottom of the page that interest you or start your own thread anytime you have something to introduce or just what's on your mind.
Lanlubber

Reactions: Cberg1975

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Hey FireMedicPQ1, didn't I meet you down here in Mimbres in the Spring time. Glad I found you again in the forums.
I came home after talking to you and then started kicking myself for not being able to get back down to the store and bring you guys some fresh eggs for your next breakfast cook out. Did you know fresh egg's do not require refrigerating as long as they are not washed. They will keep for months in moderate temperature.

Anyway just wanted to say Hi . Health has kept me home for awhile although I will come up to Albuq. for a one day trip to pick up my new to me roof rack for my LRD2 rig. I've been busy buying and assembling my off grid solar system so I can get lost in the backcountry somewhere for long periods of time. Also been fixin my Scamp trailer for more civilized tripping when my health improve some.
Best wishes for you and your beautiful family.
Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
There is no legal offroading there. That said you can take the old stagecoach trail to the top of the Mesa it can be quite challenging, very narrow squeeze between the road edge and a volkswagon sized bolder.
Are there no fire roads or forestry roads in your area ? I find them very challenging in many places. I like to travel the ranch road right of ways for going cross country and the Butterfield trail down to the south.
Lanlubber

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Hey FireMedicPQ1, didn't I meet you down here in Mimbres in the Spring time. Glad I found you again in the forums.
I came home after talking to you and then started kicking myself for not being able to get back down to the store and bring you guys some fresh eggs for your next breakfast cook out. Did you know fresh egg's do not require refrigerating as long as they are not washed. They will keep for months in moderate temperature.

Anyway just wanted to say Hi . Health has kept me home for awhile although I will come up to Albuq. for a one day trip to pick up my new to me roof rack for my LRD2 rig. I've been busy buying and assembling my off grid solar system so I can get lost in the backcountry somewhere for long periods of time. Also been fixin my Scamp trailer for more civilized tripping when my health improve some.
Best wishes for you and your beautiful family.
Lanlubber
Good to hear from you and sounds like you have a lot going on. Yes, it was us at the Mimbres store earlier in the Spring. We loved trekking through the Gila and plan to do it again. I will reach out when we do. Stay safe and healthy. See you down the road.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The road is really mild. I didn't have to engage 4WD and I towed an off-road Teardrrop trailer. It was a good route. Some washboards, a few minor washouts, and some skinny and steep sections, but totally passable with a stock truck. We were able to make it from Mimbres (there's a minimal fuel station there), up to the Cliff Dwellings, back to the N. Star Mesa Road, and all the way north to Socorro without needing to use our spare fuel (I had taken 10-gals). I did about 16 MPG during the trip. Amazing scenery, not heavily traveled. You won't regret the trip. We will be back to explore some more in the future. When we were planning the trip, I found this video

It is pretty accurate on how the road conditions. Just make sure you track weather for potential rain and snow, because there are parts at altitude and numerous water crossings (less than two feet deep when we passed).
I've been wanting to do that road but just haven't gotten to it yet after 22 years. Maybe in the fall I'll make it. Thanks for the video review.
Lanlubber

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Good to hear from you and sounds like you have a lot going on. Yes, it was us at the Mimbres store earlier in the Spring. We loved trekking through the Gila and plan to do it again. I will reach out when we do. Stay safe and healthy. See you down the road.
Thanks, I'll be here. Just let me know when you headed this way, I'll bring the egg's :smiley:
Lanlubber

Reactions: Shamu

fixiecory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
Member #

We made a trip up to Red River and ran a few trails and did a little camping last weekend. That water crossing was a little deeper than expected :grimacing:. We camped up at Goose Lake, which was beautiful. A worthwhile excursion if you ever get the chance.IMG_3834.JPGIMG_0100.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0029.JPGIMG_0032.JPGIMG_0044.JPGIMG_3025.JPG

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Is the water always that deep or is it because of all the snow we got this winter? I'd be nervous taking my truck through water that deep (the manual says not to go deeper than the lug nuts, which is probably a bit conservative, but still...).

fixiecory

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
Member #

Is the water always that deep or is it because of all the snow we got this winter? I'd be nervous taking my truck through water that deep (the manual says not to go deeper than the lug nuts, which is probably a bit conservative, but still...).
No, It's not usually that high. So this is the very first "obstacle" right off the road on the goose lake trail. We crossed it, and went up the trail and camped at the lake. When we came back down the next day it was already I would say maybe 6-8 inches lower. There must have heavy rain or something upstream. 4runner took it like a champ but definitely a little to high for my liking too.