New Mexico Overlanders

• HTML tutorial

Outbounders

Rank 0

Traveler I

I'm also in Amarillo! New to the community, new to overlanding. Been camping for a long time, this seemed to be the next logical step, plus I love throwing money at my 20 year old 80 series! Planning to go spend a weekend in northern NM next weekend, any suggestions? Saw one about Goose Lake, how technical is it? I have basic mods at the moment, no lockers though. No recovery gear, so I'm looking for something relatively straight forward. Looking forward to getting involved in this community!

Not in New Mexico,but very close. I'm Chad from Amarillo, Texas

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

I'm also in Amarillo! New to the community, new to overlanding. Been camping for a long time, this seemed to be the next logical step, plus I love throwing money at my 20 year old 80 series! Planning to go spend a weekend in northern NM next weekend, any suggestions? Saw one about Goose Lake, how technical is it? I have basic mods at the moment, no lockers though. No recovery gear, so I'm looking for something relatively straight forward. Looking forward to getting involved in this community!
Goose Lake is awesome! As long as it's not muddy you shouldn't have any issues. Just a couple pucker spots where the drop-off gets close. The river at the start of the trail gets deep in a few spots if the rain is nasty but is a fun ford. The parking / camping area at the top is small but ok. You can take a short hike for some epic 360 degree views too! While you're in the area, check out the trails around Greenie Peak. We towed our Turtleback Trailer the whole time (to the shock of passers-by) but never had any issues.

Outbounders

Rank 0

Traveler I

Goose Lake is awesome! As long as it's not muddy you shouldn't have any issues. Just a couple pucker spots where the drop-off gets close. The river at the start of the trail gets deep in a few spots if the rain is nasty but is a fun ford. The parking / camping area at the top is small but ok. You can take a short hike for some epic 360 degree views too! While you're in the area, check out the trails around Greenie Peak. We towed our Turtleback Trailer the whole time (to the shock of passers-by) but never had any issues.

Went and found your IG and found these pictures videos (since they didn want to load on here) Looks awesome! Water crossing might make my butt pucker a bit. I have a snorkel but have not extended the breathers on the diffs yet. I'm drivin an 80 that's sittin on OME suspension, about 2" of lift. Do you think I'll have any issues in the water crossings with no extended breathers? Anything else to watch out for? Also, about how many miles is it up to the lake? Thanks for the info, communities like this are amazing. Anyone is welcome to join us (wife dog and myself) as well, gonna leave out Amarillo Thursday evening (7/20) and head up to the lake Friday morning (7/21)

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: druff6991

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Went and found your IG and found these pictures videos (since they didn want to load on here) Looks awesome! Water crossing might make my butt pucker a bit. I have a snorkel but have not extended the breathers on the diffs yet. I'm drivin an 80 that's sittin on OME suspension, about 2" of lift. Do you think I'll have any issues in the water crossings with no extended breathers? Anything else to watch out for? Also, about how many miles is it up to the lake? Thanks for the info, communities like this are amazing. Anyone is welcome to join us (wife dog and myself) as well, gonna leave out Amarillo Thursday evening (7/20) and head up to the lake Friday morning (7/21)

It really shouldn't be an issue unless it has just been pouring rain. This crossing was after a downpour and it had dissipated when we returned. The non-extended diffs are up to you, I just wouldn't make it habit of deep water crossing and extend them sooner than later. Would love to join you but we've recently moved to Phoenix! Hope you have a blast, that area is beautiful!

Oh, stop by a ranger station and pick up a Carson National Forest MVUM (motor vehicle usage map) before you get too deep. It'll show you where dispersed camping is allowed, etc. You can also download the pdf map here:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/carson/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5278650

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

It was a nice day and I really didn't want to work so I decided to run Chloride Canyon today and check on the condition of it. Looks good still, no washouts or anything. Just a pleasant Sunday trip. Little water in the road but honestly its dryer then it was last time I ran it.

I had like 100 water crossings going up it in april

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Overland 505

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We are planning the OTG Southwest 2017:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/ob-southwest-rendezvous.8669/

What would be a good location for this type of event in New Mexico? Tentatively, we are thinking Something in October. We want to choose location, then drill town to dates.

What does the New Mexico OB community think? IF you have suggestions or comments, please join in the conversation in the "OB Southwest Rendezvous" thread.

We are also looking at Big Bend National Park in Texas, as an alternative, if we can't find a good location in NW.

Reactions: Dave Decker