Enthusiast II

Albuquerque
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Guinn
Member #

Hello,
We just got to Taos in August. I am working a temp detail for the Carson and Santa Fe NF. I need some intel on where to camp and wet a line for trout.
I know, I know, "you work for the USF, just ask your co-workers...." help me out!
You are close to my favorite camping spot, which is Red River. Just don't forgot to go on the Goose lake Trail and test your fishing luck at the lake at the top. I caught and released 2 Trout on the far side of the lake from the parking area. And if you are a fly fisherman, do not Skip the San Juan River near the Navajo Dam.

FFJOORD

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Tierra Amarilla, NM
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Carrillo
Member #

Hello,
We just got to Taos in August. I am working a temp detail for the Carson and Santa Fe NF. I need some intel on where to camp and wet a line for trout.
I know, I know, "you work for the USF, just ask your co-workers...." help me out!
Come towards Chama on 64. Hopewell is a nice spot within the Carson. FR91 is great to explore and you can find your way to Kiowa lookout, that’s always a treasure. The acting dept. Forest Sup’s husband manages a ranch out here and above it on the CO side is the headwaters of the Rio Chama

Reactions: velo47

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
Wow Guys! Thanks for the information. I will definitely check these locations.

Krazy Klimber

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Navarre, Florida, United States
First Name
Alek
Last Name
Krallman
Member #

Awesome! I will check them out, I won’t be doing anything too wild, especially if I am by myself.

Do any of you guys do group runs? Or is there a thread for upcoming local events?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick Malette

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Awesome! I will check them out, I won’t be doing anything to wild, especially if I am by myself.

Do any of you guys do group runs? Or is there a thread for upcoming local events?
It would be nice to have a monthly fun run. Nothing crazy that’s left for the Jeeps. They really don’t want FS trucks on their runs. (Been a member in a few groups now) There are a few campgrounds that need some looking into. I had something going pre Rona but had to cancel due to everything closing down.

Reactions: Krazy Klimber

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
You all keep me in mind if plans are made for a run. I'm definitely down for a day or weekend up in the woods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krazy Klimber

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

Hello,
Los Pinos campground seems like it should be good for you. (I've not stayed, but it looked lovely when I drove past last year).

IceBear505

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nesbit
Member #

Hello,
You're pretty close to Red River, plenty of fly fishing there. You can literally (during season) camp less than 50 from the river starting about a mile from Red River west all the way to Questa.

Attachments

davis31052

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Marines
You're pretty close to Red River, plenty of fly fishing there. You can literally (during season) camp less than 50 from the river starting about a mile from Red River west all the way to Questa.
I'll be over there on Cimmaron next week. I bought myself a guided trout trip

TravelerGAL

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Vicki
Last Name
Herst
Member #

Anything happening spring and summer 2023? Meetings?
Im down to go somewhere. I moved to ABQ last summer and I haven't been anywhere yet. Thinking of going down by the Gila or just north of it. Also haven't been to White Sands. It would be nice while it's still cool.
Yes. Get the heck out of town. Even a monthly meeting!!

Reactions: Nick Malette

EStokes

Rank VI

Pioneer I

Angel Fire, Colfax County, New Mexico, United States
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Stokes
Member #

I plan to head to CDT Trail Days in Silver City, NM this weekend April 21st-23rd. Maybe some camping in the Gila before or after.

Trail Days is focused on CDT backpacking, not overlanding. BUT, but if you’re interested in ultralight backpacking and camping gear. This place has vendors that you just don’t get to see otherwise.

Attachments

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Great little town, wish we could go to this but will be going through in early August on the CDT