New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route (NMBDR) 2016

• HTML tutorial

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I plan to run the NMBDR from 3 - 10 September 2016. So far there is only one other vehicle coming. If there are any intrepid explorers out there that need a long run and would like to join, let me know. I have previously completed the AZBDR and UTBDR with @1Louder and we had fun and interesting to say the least adventures. Due to timing of events this year the usual gang cannot all get together, so I offer it up.

Reactions: Jpnut

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Thanks for extending the offer! I'm very tempted but we are already scheduled to run the Shadow of the Rockies Trail during that time frame. Maybe our paths will cross before we get out of NM. Hope you have a blast!

Reactions: Gunnermoose

Mrgassy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Houston, Harris County, Texas, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Moen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRJL612
Hi all, my wife and I are exploring this route for July. David, your beautiful write up is really inspiring us.
Does anyone have experience or advice for driving this route in July? I did read that July/August can be rough due to rain and heat and would really value any advice or shared experiences. Thanks in advance! -Eric

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Here is a link to the thread on my trip report from last year. I went in October so I can’t tell you much about July. I will say this, when it’s wet or has been raining, large portions of the NMBDR will be impassable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrgassy

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
July/August will be hot hot hot for the southern part of your trip, days 1-2. Especially day 2 between Ruidoso and T or C. But, it's a dry heat...
Rain can be an issue in that time frame, more in the northern section. It is the afternoon monsoon season.
When we did the route last year in June we had beautiful weather and no rain. From looking at the tracks, though, the sections from around Reserve to Cuba look like they could be very difficult in the mud. But the mud dries up pretty quick around here.
The route was not difficult in good weather it was great fun.